GUILTY IN - Leon Walker, 5, tortured & killed, Gary, 28 April 2010

what is so sad is that a week before the child ran off, hid in an abandoned house, was discovered there and returned to the home!? No one saw all these scars covering the poor child head to foot? No one questioned why he didn't want to go home? No one noticed all these bruises and scars 1 week prior but this week his scars and bruises were enough to shock a seasoned veteran LE officer?

I don't get it.

GARY -- Five-year-old Leon Walker spent his final hours with his hands bound together with an electric cord, squirming to avoid more blows from a belt, begging to be untied.

His father, Leon D. Burns, admitted to police he had "probably went too far" on Wednesday, the day Leon died from a broken neck, his body covered with "deep bruises," court records state.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2220908,new-gcharges0501.article
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
respectfully snipped & bolded by me

"probably went to far"????:furious::furious::furious: Nothing in this world deserves treatment like this (except these kinds of animals), especially a beautiful little boy. :furious:

IMO this abuse had been going on for a while and how no one noticed is beyond me. IMO everyone in his life ignored what was going on. I hope these go to prison for life, without parole so all of the inmates can show them how much they like child murders!!!

RIP little man - no one can hurt you anymore.

:praying:

what is so sad is that a week before the child ran off, hid in an abandoned house, was discovered there and returned to the home!? No one saw all these scars covering the poor child head to foot? No one questioned why he didn't want to go home? No one noticed all these bruises and scars 1 week prior but this week his scars and bruises were enough to shock a seasoned veteran LE officer?

I don't get it.

I agree. Whatever officers responded to the call regarding this child missing, finding him and returning him to this death trap need to be removed from duty and investigated. how on earth someone in LE misses signs that a child was so badly abused just days prior to his death is incomprehensible and tells me those officers have ZERO competence. They need to be on somekind of leave -preferably without pay- and investigated themselves. Their duty is to SERVE AND PROTECT and they FAILED MISERABLY to protect this child. :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

-and I don't want to hear crap that they/LE who responded to the missing child call could not have predicted this...... the autopsy results will DISPROVE that theory because the wounds on this poor childs body were not fresh occuring only AFTER he was returned home early that Sunday morning. :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

GARY -- Five-year-old Leon Walker spent his final hours with his hands bound together with an electric cord, squirming to avoid more blows from a belt, begging to be untied.

His father, Leon D. Burns, admitted to police he had "probably went too far" on Wednesday, the day Leon died from a broken neck, his body covered with "deep bruises," court records state.

Burns, 28, and his live-in girlfriend, Rochell Johnson, 32, were both charged Friday with eight felonies in connection with Leon's beating death. Johnson admitted to police she was present while her boyfriend punched and beat Leon at the home they shared at 3973 Virginia St.

more at.....

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2220908,new-gcharges0501.article
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
he also has a myspace that hasn't been used since 2007 - no pictures of his child but he is "a proud parent".

This has to be one of the most difficult articles I have ever read at WS. What this did to his child.... there are no words other than I wish him 1000 fold in the GP when he gets there.

What is even more heartbreaking, according to the article, is this only RECENTLY started seeing his son on a regular basis 3 months ago. Poor child. He would have been so much better off if daddy would have remained a dead beat absent father. Mom in rehab, was there really no one else to care for this child? The article says mom has been in rehab the last two weeks. Where the heck was she the 10 weeks prior to that while her sons father was beating the hell out of her kid?

Leon, I am SO very sorry baby boy that NO ONE, not your mother, not your family, not your neighbors, NOT EVEN POLICE who are supposed to serve and PROTECT, protected you from this monster you were forced to call dad.

we will see justice for you Leon! RIP at least now there is only peace and no more pain.

just tears.........

ETA: I just hope those prosecuting this case are more competent than the LE who returned Leon to his father days before he was beaten to death. :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

More than 100 rally near where Leon Walker, 5, died

May 13, 2010
BY CHRISTIN NANCE LAZERUS, (219) 648-3086

A crowd of at least 100 people marched through Glen Park on Wednesday night, pausing to pray in front of the red brick house where 5-year-old Leon Walker was beaten to death on April 28.
Armed with signs reading "Stop The Violence" and "Peace in the Hood," speakers called for the community to come together and end violence in the streets of Gary in front of the house in the 3900 block of Virginia Street.

<snip>

We're coming together in a feeling of love and condolence," Muhammad said. "When one of us is maimed, all of us are maimed."

Muhammad said Walker's funeral arrangements have been paid for by donations from caring community members and that funeral services will proceed. Walker's body has been at Divinity Funeral Home for two weeks since the Lake County Coroner's Office finished his autopsy

Full article at link:

http://www.post-trib.com/news/2268154,new-gwalk0513.article

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I'm glad little Leon has been honored in death as he was not in life. I wish people had cared sooner, but I am still glad that they are honoring him now and the community is coming together to pay for his funeral.

It is sad to me that this case is not getting the attention of Ethan Stacy's, as they are quite similar...this little boy was tortured over a long period of time, evidently...

Cops at boy's house 3 days before killing

Officer found missing child; incident may have triggered torture, beating

May 14, 2010

BY LORI CALDWELL, (219) 648-3258

GARY -- The bruises and welts on 5-year-old Leon Walker's body tell of the boy's violent, painful final hours.

But before the beatings that led to his death April 28, Leon briefly enjoyed the kindness of a stranger, a 20-year veteran of the Gary Police Department with a son of his own.

Sgt. Hector King was the officer who found Leon in a vacant house about 1 a.m. Sunday, April 25. Medics examined the boy and released him to his father, Leon Burns, who has since been charged with murder in the boy's death.
King returned the day after he found Leon, toting a stuffed toy.
"He went back to check on him.

<snip>

Investigators believe that perhaps Leon's disappearance may have triggered the beatings police describe as "torture," because the boy's hands and feet were bound for hours while he was punched and hit with a cord.

<snip>

Leon was in a pile of clothing, wet and cold, King reported.
After the boy was wrapped in a blanket, King called for an ambulance to examine Leon.
Medics checked the child's condition and returned him to the family.
"If there was any sign of abuse, we would have known about it then," Sgt. William Fazekas said.

Full article at link:

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2271334,new-gwalker05xx.article

BBM, I am glad to know Leon WAS checked by medics as I as somewhat under the impression perhaps he had not been based on the initial news articles regarding Leons murder. The reports from the incident the weekend prior to this case along with the medical examiners report will be able to determine how many and how old the scars seen on Leon were and possibly how long any abuse had been endured by this precious child.

I wonder why Leons dad would get so angry that LE had to be called out? According to the article LE was out there twice that weekend. The first time, Leons father said he had located the boy at his grandmothers, however that was not true and LE had to be called again later that evening.

Ugh, so many little ones lost at the hands of their parents, a step parent of a siginficant other of a step parent. :(

It is sad to me that this case is not getting the attention of Ethan Stacy's, as they are quite similar...this little boy was tortured over a long period of time, evidently...

I know, both boys gone at the hands of a parent and parents 'SO'. I think the difference in the two is Ethans mother and step fathers incredibly bizzare behavior. Plus little Leons dad and his SO did not do the things to Leon after he passed that Ethans step monster did.

It will be interesting to see how long both cases take to get to trial as well as the outcome of each.

Tonight we know Leon and Ethan are both safe in the arms of the Lord and having fun playing together along with the rest of the little ones in Heaven.

RIP Leon ~ you are safe now.

The police in this case, in this city of very high violent crime, say they had never seen such a crime or such injuries...I am afraid little Leon's case is not getting the national attention it deserves is due to the area he lived in, and the usual reasons why media tends not to latch onto certain cases...poverty, also race among them. I have not seen anything on this case elsewhere. He was an adorable child and deserves just as much outrage on his behalf, in my opinion and it just bothers me that he is not getting it.

The police in this case, in this city of very high violent crime, say they had never seen such a crime or such injuries...I am afraid little Leon's case is not getting the national attention it deserves is due to the area he lived in, and the usual reasons why media tends not to latch onto certain cases...poverty, also race among them. I have not seen anything on this case elsewhere. He was an adorable child and deserves just as much outrage on his behalf, in my opinion and it just bothers me that he is not getting it.

BBM. Little Leon has a voice here at WS, which is why I will do my best to post any updates and articles I see.

JMO

CROWN POINT | The girlfriend of a Gary man accused of beating his 5-year-old son to death in 2010 was sentenced Monday to 30 years for her role in the slaying.

The court sentenced Rochell Johnson, who had faced a maximum 50-year sentence, to the advisory sentence of 30 years, suspending five years, after considering the mental health factors in a case that had horrified even hardened police officers and a veteran coroner's pathologist.

<snip>

Burns, 31, is next scheduled to appear in court Sept. 17 for a possible change of plea, according to court documents. He is charged with murder, neglect of a dependent, battery and false informing.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_9b64dc39-045a-5205-af55-4592a817a141.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back