IN - Ruth Pelke, 78, brutally murdered by teen girls, Gary, 14 May 1985

To take a recent case that is still ongoing, everyone is saying that if Arias gets life it wil mean life, who is to say that case won't be overturned by a panel of parole judges. Botom line is, this killer can move in next door to any one of us now. Do the judges think she will move into their fine neighbourhoods? Hell No! It's more likely she will move in next to you or I

That still doesn't explain why it's wrong for the victim's grandson to speak on her behalf. Even in your example, if Arias comes up for parole way down the line and the Alexander family somehow gets a change of heart and forgives her, are you going to say what the Alexander family is doing is wrong vs. if they go there and say 'keep her *advertiser censored* in jail'?

I dunno, it sounds like a double standard. It's ultimately on the parole board/judge to decide to reverse a sentence, not the victim's family.

Sorry, I fail to see the relevance. Then again I didn't follow the Arias case, so maybe I'm missing something. Is she under 18? I thought she was an adult, what case would she have in law to overturn a LWOP sentence, (or even a death sentence)?

I've been living next door to a convicted murderer out on license for the last five years. I've never lost any sleep over it, so she can move in on the other side of me if you're that nervous. Or she can move in with the dude next door, the two murderers can suffer each others' company.

BM: First off, I respect your opinion, so let's not turn this personal. I think we are still allowed our opinions here and I've stated mine, as so have you. It doesn't really matter how old Arias is / was, they were both old enough to know not to butcher another human being, but they both put their own selfishness first. (Sorry for any typos, something wonky going on with my KB today)

That still doesn't explain why it's wrong for the victim's grandson to speak on her behalf. Even in your example, if Arias comes up for parole way down the line and the Alexander family somehow gets a change of heart and forgives her, are you going to say what the Alexander family is doing is wrong vs. if they go there and say 'keep her *advertiser censored* in jail'?

I dunno, it sounds like a double standard. It's ultimately on the parole board/judge to decide to reverse a sentence, not the victim's family.

YES! Because she is threat to others. A family can fogive without asking that these monsters be set free to harm another family.

That was just a flippant comment, Dewey. No offense was intended by that.

My question about Arias' age was simply because you seemed to think that a sentence of LWOP could be overturned in her case some way down the line. But she's not a juvenile, and she has been convicted of a crime for which the legal penalties are either death or LWOP. So I fail to see how it would be overturned?

That was just a flippant comment, Dewey. No offense was intended by that.

My question about Arias' age was simply because you seemed to think that a sentence of LWOP could be overturned in her case some way down the line. But she's not a juvenile, and she has been convicted of a crime for which the legal penalties are either death or LWOP. So I fail to see how it would be overturned?

Thank you. Any sentence can be overturned, each time the prison system gets over crowded we hear of violent criminals being released.

:stormingmad: @ this #$%^& keyboard. Me thinks I picked up a virus here again. Time to run a scan again

This is every bit as heinous as the crimes keeping the Manson girls locked away for their natural lives.

Why are they still in prison, and this other knife-wielding murderer released? It really doesn't make sense.

THANK YOU! This was EXACTLY what I was thinking. How come the Manson girls (Even the most innocent one {In the eyes of the court! Don't shoot!}) Are dying in prison and not even getting mercy releases, and this chick does about the same thing and gets let out? It's ridiculous!

I honestly think in order to get out of prison you must do two things: Prove that you will not do it again (Mostly by good behaviour, admitting what they did was wrong, that kind of stuff) and serve your sentence. If the sentence is life that's 20-years (At least in Oregon and I think in California too).

She's been behaving badly in prison (Seriously, what was it, 23 citations?), and I can't tell if she's accepted that she's to blame and apologised, the victims grandson says she has but no one else has.

The Manson girls, (and indeed Manson himself), have all been eligible for parole for some time now. Many of them have had parole hearings and have failed to convince any parole board that they are fit to release. This woman was sentenced to 60 years, which means that under the laws of Indiana she is eligible for parole after 30. She had a parole hearing, and did convince the parole board that she was fit for release.

I think maybe the media are exaggerating the role the grandson played in the decision, although I'm sure the parole board let him have his say just like they always do with family members. There would have been more to the decision than his word, but I spose it makes a good news story that a relative has forgiven her and supported her release.

The reason they get denied parole is because of Sharon Tate's sister, who is a "Victim's rights advocate." It's Funny, because I've never seen her even attempt to help out anyone but her own little crusade of vengeance (Not saying what they did wasn't heinous, I've just seen a lot of murderers go free and thought "Huh, I wonder where the victim's rights advocates were when those monsters were up for parole)

Paula Cooper in a police mugshot from 1985.

Paula Cooper

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back