IN - Sylvia Likens, 16, tortured to death, Indianapolis, 26 Oct 1965

For anyone not familiar with the Sylvia Likens homicide, it will forever be known as one of the most brutal and violent murders in Indianapolis history. The crime has been the subject of several books and films. Although the murder occurred more than 50 years ago, it will live with Dianna Bedwell until she departs from this world.

Sylvia Likens was one of Dianna’s little sisters. Not only did Dianna lose her beloved sister to a horrific crime, she also lost Cecil Knutson, her husband to a tragic accident a few years ago. While driving through the desert, Dianna and Cecil’s car broke down.
Marc Hoover: Interview with Dianna Bedwell | The Clermont Sun

On October 26, 1965, Sylvia Likens, a 16-year-old teenager was found dead on a filthy mattress at 3850 East New York Street. Resident Gertrude Baniszewski told authorities that a group of boys had beaten and killed Likens. The teen’s body had over 100 cuts and bruises and the words “I am a prostitute” were carved into her body. She also appeared malnourished.

Upon further investigation, a more sinister tale unfolded. It was almost too disturbing to believe. Before her death, Sylvia and her sister Jenny were left with Baniszewski after she agreed to watch them for $20 per week.

According to various crime reports, Baniszewski became enraged at Lester and Betty Likens after they didn’t pay Baniszewski for keeping the Likens’ daughters. Baniszewski was a single mother trying to care for seven children and she was already poverty-stricken.

Instead of returning the girls to their parents, Baniszewski focused her hate on Sylvia. She allowed her own children and neighborhood children to beat and torment Sylvia. Some atrocities against Sylvia were being burned with lit cigarettes and forced into a bathtub filled with scalding hot water.

Toward the end, she was thrown down the stairs into the basement. She wasn’t allowed to bathe, use the restroom or even given food or water. The official cause of death was listed as brain swelling, internal hemorrhaging of the brain and shock. A trial soon followed. Baniszewski received a life sentence but only served 20 years. Against a public outcry, she was paroled in 1985. She changed her name to Nadine Van Fossan and left Indiana. She died of lung cancer in Iowa on June 16, 1990. She never accepted responsibility for her actions and claimed she didn’t remember the crime.
Marc Hoover: The brutal murder of Sylvia Likens | The Clermont Sun

Sorry I'm a few years late from when the forum started but I just discovered Sylvia's story some time ago and I when I read it I was completely horrified and disturbed of the way she was tortured and murdered in the most tragic way, it's disgusting that nobody called the police when Sylvia was crying and screaming for help and pleading for mercy while being beaten, burned and branded until she died, I just wish that I could help her in any way and pull her out of that horror house if 8 was around at the time. I can't bear to think that all who did this to her, even the demon "Gertrude" just got a slap in the wrist when they all should have been put to death considering the brutality of Sylvia's murder, it makes sad and angry when I read and think about it and how it all happened and it will stay with me for the rest of my life. The justice system failed Sylvia big time. I hope all who did this to her even "Gertrude" suffer a million times and that their torture is eternal.

Rest in Peace Sylvia, no more pain and suffering and I hope you get all the love you deserve for all eternity, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. May God bless and protect you and your wonderful soul sweet beautiful angel.

Sorry I'm a few years late from when the forum started but I just discovered Sylvia's story some time ago and I when I read it I was completely horrified and disturbed of the way she was tortured and murdered in the most tragic way, it's disgusting that nobody called the police when Sylvia was crying and screaming for help and pleading for mercy while being beaten, burned and branded until she died, I just wish that I could help her in any way and pull her out of that horror house if 8 was around at the time. I can't bear to think that all who did this to her, even the demon "Gertrude" just got a slap in the wrist when they all should have been put to death considering the brutality of Sylvia's murder, it makes sad and angry when I read and think about it and how it all happened and it will stay with me for the rest of my life. The justice system failed Sylvia big time. I hope all who did this to her even "Gertrude" suffer a million times and that their torture is eternal.

Rest in Peace Sylvia, no more pain and suffering and I hope you get all the love you deserve for all eternity, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. May God bless and protect you and your wonderful soul sweet beautiful angel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back