Interview with Mike Thompson

I have no specific knowledge in this case but based on a prior case in this same county...there can be evidence but the prosecutor won't charge and thus no arrest made.

Police can make arrests. They cannot charge with felonies. That decision in Missouri is up to prosecutors. Why would police arrest if they know the prosecutor won't charge? Whether Clay, Jackson, Cass or Platte, KCPD talks to the prosecutor before making an arrest in virtually every case but certainly a high-profile one.

Police wanted to arrest Shon Pernice right away but it took 18 months for a prosecutor to take the case to a Clay County grand jury.

Just trying to stick to the facts.

ETa: Pernice goes to trial in a few weeks. His wife's body has never been found. Same county in Kansas City (KC covers parts of four counties)

Just expanding on this... evidently the prosecutor does not think they have enough EVIDENCE to bring charges. This prosecutor does NOT need a body to charge for murder. Shon Pernice's murder charge appears to be largely circumstantial at this point and that also did not scare this prosecutor off either.

TY, DeAnn !

snipped from link : Police said the Kansas City crime lab had completed processing the critical evidence in the days and weeks after the infant went missing.

So the "critical evidence" has been processed ... :waitasec: but I sure would like to know more about the evidence found -- and those x-rays that were taken .. :waitasec:

And DeAnn, I am so sorry to hear about your friend.

:grouphug:

Bad Advice? What innocent parent would sit back and do nothing to find their child? What innocent parent would care what LE thinks of them? We have a parent on this board who sat in jail for their child and still has never given up searching for him.

There is no one that would sit back and do nothing to find their child because attorneys told them to hide...except if they were more concerned for their own behinds than the life of their baby.

What if the parents were told to do exactly what they are doing by the FBI or law enforcement etc? Not being privy to what is happening in the investigation and realizing that the parents actions seem rather odd it has occurred to me that their lack of action could be as a request and in Lisa's best interest.

What if the parents were told to do exactly what they are doing by the FBI or law enforcement etc? Not being privy to what is happening in the investigation and realizing that the parents actions seem rather odd it has occurred to me that their lack of action could be as a request and in Lisa's best interest.

I very much doubt FBI told parents to behave that way.

I very much doubt FBI told parents to behave that way.

It does seem far fetched, but as odd as this case is, why not consider everything. Why you singled out the FBI is puzzling however.

No way, imo.
The parent's actions are odd and imo have nary a thing to do with LE or the FBI asking them to act the way they are.

I have no specific knowledge in this case but based on a prior case in this same county...there can be evidence but the prosecutor won't charge and thus no arrest made.

Police can make arrests. They cannot charge with felonies. That decision in Missouri is up to prosecutors. Why would police arrest if they know the prosecutor won't charge? Whether Clay, Jackson, Cass or Platte, KCPD talks to the prosecutor before making an arrest in virtually every case but certainly a high-profile one.

Police wanted to arrest Shon Pernice right away but it took 18 months for a prosecutor to take the case to a Clay County grand jury.

Just trying to stick to the facts.

ETa: Pernice goes to trial in a few weeks. His wife's body has never been found. Same county in Kansas City (KC covers parts of four counties)

Exactly!

When we hear that the case is being presented to a GJ, then we can get excited. Until then, don't look for any arrests. It's up to the DA whether they have enough evidence to take the case to a GJ. Most DA's won't go forward until they are pretty sure they can get a conviction. They don't like losing cases, because they are elected officials and too many losses won't get them reelected.

As far as evidence, we don't know everything they have, but if it comes down to who did or didn't take a LDT, and whether they passed or not... that won't even be brought up in trial. Neither will the fact that they hired a high profile defense attorney. Joe T. is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing, whether we like it or not.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back