Italy - Emanuela Orlandi, 15, Rome, 22 June 1983

The search seems endless for the families of these two missing girls,now that the tombs were found empty...:

'The Vatican has announced that there is nothing at all. The descendants of the duchess Charlotte zu Mecklenburg family, who died in 1840 and Sophie van Hohenlohe, who died four years earlier, have been informed.'

Geopende graven Vaticaan volslagen leeg

Vatican mystery over missing girl deepens as bones are found

July 13, 2019

"VATICAN CITY (AP) — The mystery of the 1983 disappearance of the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee took yet another twist Saturday following excavations this week at a Vatican City cemetery. The Vatican said it had discovered two sets of bones under a stone slab that will be formally opened next week....

The Vatican vowed to keep investigating and noted that any bones in the tombs might have been displaced during structural work carried out on both the college building and a cemetery near St. Peter's Basilica in the 1800s and in more recent decades.

On Saturday, Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti said further searches had centered on the areas adjoining the princesses' tombs. He said investigators had located two ossuaries, or sets of bones, under a stone slab manhole covering inside the Teutonic college itself.

He said the area was immediately sealed off and would be opened in the presence of forensic experts on July 20.

Gisotti added that the bones were found in two holes carved out of a large stone that was covered by an old pavement stone a few meters (yards) behind the princesses' tombs. That area is now technically inside a building of the Teutonic College, after expansion work on the building encroached onto the cemetery field.

The last recorded structural work done on the building and the cemetery was in the 1960s and 1970s. Orlandi disappeared in 1983...."

Vatican mystery over missing girl deepens as bones are found

July 20 2019
New search in bid to solve Vatican mystery
"What is happening on Saturday?
The search is still focused on the college, where the first exhumations took place in the cemetery there.

During that search, the two ossuaries were discovered under a trapdoor in the floor of a nearby building."
"Interim director of the Holy See Press, Alessandro Gisotti, told Vatican News that the latest operation began at 09:00 (07:00 GMT) on Saturday, and he confirmed it involved two ossuaries in "an area adjacent to the princesses' tombs".

He said forensic experts were analysing any remains "according to international protocols" but could not say how long it would take.

The scientists will be able to date any bones within the space of just five hours - although formal identification by DNA would take a lot longer.

One expert appointed by the Orlandi family was present."

"Many people tell me, just let it go, enjoy your life, don't think about it anymore," her older brother Pietro told the BBC. "But I can't let go. I couldn't be at peace if this is not solved."

"“I am incapable of accepting injustices, but especially when it involves my sister, knowing that over all these years there are people who know what happened,” Pietro Orlandi, her older brother, told the Observer. “For me, the right to the truth and the right to justice are sacred rights that nobody can ever take away.”

Pietro and his four sisters had a happy childhood inside the historic Vatican City, where his father was a lay employee in the papal household. “The Vatican gardens were available to us as if it was our own back garden. We felt we were in the safest place in the world,” he said.

On 22 June 1983, Emanuela left the family home, carrying her flute. She had asked her brother to accompany her on the bus to her music class a mile away, but Pietro had other commitments. “It’s a very painful memory – she insisted I take her, and we rowed over it. Then she left, slamming the door. I never thought it would be the last time I saw her. I’ve gone over it so many times, telling myself if only I had accompanied her maybe it wouldn’t have happened.”"

‘We had a row, she left. It was the last time I saw her’: anguish of Emanuela Orlandi’s brother

Sad case ... sounds to me that she may have been a victim of sex trafficking- that “Avon representative” was probably a front for the kidnapper - May have used a female to make her feel more comfortable about getting in the car. I wonder though why did she want her brother to go with her to the music lesson ? Maybe she had been talking to the “Avon” lady before , felt nervous about it and wanted her brother to be there. How incredibly sad.

Everybody in Italy knows she's dead (same for Mirella Gregori)....
This is (and always be) a never-ending mystery (just like Mirella Gregori or Simonetta Cesaroni)
I don't think Italian Police will be able to solve this case (and if they hope for real cooperation from the Holy See they're really naive :()

Has any of you been able to find an image of Raoul Bonarelli? I haven't succeeded up to now. Bonarelli has been a key figure within the Vatican gendarmerie (police force) for years. He has also received a couple of honorific titles. But no image?

Has any of you been able to find an image of Raoul Bonarelli? I haven't succeeded up to now. Bonarelli has been a key figure within the Vatican gendarmerie (police force) for years. He has also received a couple of honorific titles. But no image?
Tried, but no luck so far, thinking there are variations of his name.imo.

I've tried using google. I've just found many websites talking about Raoul Bonarelli (in Italian). But no pictures of him at all. I don't know why. Maybe there's some judicial provision to hide his image from people.... :confused:

What if the latest indication towards the Teutonic cemetery is not meant to point towards a grave/tomb or graves/tombs, but mearly to 'Teutonic'?

The Stasi was involved in the pope's assassination attempt by Agca.

Items and letters that were found/received in the 80's could nowadays be tested for DNA.

In this doc you can hear some voice recordings of people who claimed to know the whereabouts of Emanuela:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7...cQo7QBCCgwAA&usg=AOvVaw2wBF9nIhjw1iFuUozdiAKp

I think (most of) her family knows Emanuela's death won't ever be solved :(

The link I placed before does not seem to function. Therefore again:

In the documentary you can see that there have been various figures within the Vatican who knew (and still know?) more about her disappearance. For instance the Cardinal who answered the phone: he has never told the family what had been said. How can he live with himself as a good Christian?

The Pope shooting was orchestrated by Stasi with the involvement of Bulgarian secret service agents. Agca confessed that almost immediately after his arrest. He was taken into custody instantly after the shooting.
However, Italian police couldn't believe him. For them it was much too far fetched.

At the court case against Agca, in 1985/1986(?), Agca was found guilty and his presumed Bulgarian and Turkish colleagues were acquitted for lack of proof. (Naturally, how could their involvement be proven at that time? All proof was at Stasi HQ.)

In 1990 the Berlin Wall fell down. The Stasi was disbanded, but many docs at Stasi HQ were saved. The new German government made it a point to save as many documents as possible. In the 90's they discovered that the Stasi had orchestrated the Pope shooting in 1981, with the involvement of Bulgarian agents. The KGB had asked Stasi to organise the attempt. The Pope was an anti-communist and supported Solidarnos etc. (Apparently also financially.)

[Then there are many other things ........... ]

All of the examined bones (up to now) from the ossuaries are antique and date earlier than the 20th century.

Emanuela Orlandi, il Vaticano svela il contenuto degli ossari del Collegio teutonico
Article in English:

"The Vatican press office said that the results of a morphological analysis of bones and bone fragments found at an ossuary in a Vatican cemetery concluded that none belonged to Emanuela Orlandi, a young Italian woman who has been missing for more than 30 years.

Giovanni Arcudi, the forensic anthropologist who led the scientific investigation of the remains found at the Vatican’s Teutonic Cemetery, “did not find any bone structure dating back to the period after the end of the 1800s,” the Vatican said.

The forensic team concluded its study of the bones July 28."

Vatican: Bones found at cemetery do not belong to missing woman

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie