Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand we will have to agree to disagree on nuclear power. Please forgive me as I had one of those "need to defend my stance" times. I didn't mean to offend anyone who disagrees with me and if I did I am truly sorry.

I watch in horror what is happening in Japan, just as all of you do and hope nothing like this happens here. I keep hoping for a saving grace, knowing all too well that it's too far gone.

If those SNF pools are empty or low there's no one able to go in there to do anything.

This is all MOO, IMO, JMO...

I appreciate your posts, the information you share, and the fact that you are careful to say you're not an expert. Keep the posts coming - all any of us have right now are our own opinions.

Nuclear Information Gap Spreads Doubt, Fear

Excerpt:
The uncertainty that has gripped Japan in the days since its nuclear crisis began is erupting into public and official anger over the lack of reliable safety information.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan seemed to be speaking for his entire country Tuesday when he met with executives from the Tokyo Electric Power Co. "What the hell is going on?" Kan demanded, according to a report from Japan's Kyodo news agency.

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/16/134573800/nuclear-information-gap-spreads-doubt-fear

Supposing an extreme explosion occurs from the reactors blowing up. Could that in itself cause more seismic activity? In addition to spewing radiation through the air,would it affect whats underneath the ground?

I do NOT believe this.. BBM

"And to give you a flavour for that, when Chernobyl had a massive fire at the graphite core, material was going up not just 500m but to 30,000ft. It was lasting not for the odd hour or so but lasted months, and that was putting nuclear radioactive material up into the upper atmosphere for a very long period of time. But even in the case of Chernobyl, the exclusion zone that they had was about 30km. And in that exclusion zone, outside that, there is no evidence whatsoever to indicate people had problems from the radiation. The problems with Chernobyl were people were continuing to drink the water, continuing to eat vegetables and so on and that was where the problems came from. That's not going to be the case here."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/16/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath-live

CNN talking about a 59 yr old man 6 months from retirement volunteered to go back in to the plant to try to get things under control.. said he felt it was his duty... :(

ScorpRising said:
I understand we will have to agree to disagree on nuclear power. Please forgive me as I had one of those "need to defend my stance" times. I didn't mean to offend anyone who disagrees with me and if I did I am truly sorry.

I watch in horror what is happening in Japan, just as all of you do and hope nothing like this happens here. I keep hoping for a saving grace, knowing all too well that it's too far gone.

If those SNF pools are empty or low there's no one able to go in there to do anything.

This is all MOO, IMO, JMO...
We understand that. I think we're all trying to understand the situation, worried about the Japanese, worried about ourselves, just plain overwhelmed, feel helpless, and feel extremely vulnerable. Not to mention we believe we're not being told everything by The Powers That Be.

Some news is here, but even though it says "Now On Air", I believe it may be news being repeated at times. Not sure how up to date. The people aren't happy over there because they are being moved from shelter to shelter, and the people claim they aren't being told the truth.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/index.html

I'd be a lot more surprised if they weren't facing lethal radiation. I believe they knew that when they kept on/keep on working.

Again I'm reminded of 9/11 when the rescue workers just went into the towers knowing death was pretty certain. These people working in the plants are truelly heros.

US says plant's spent fuel rods dry; Japan says no

FUKUSHIMA, Japan – Nuclear plant operators trying to avoid complete reactor meltdowns said Thursday that they were close to completing a new power line that might end Japan's crisis, but several ominous signs have also emerged: a surge in radiation levels, unexplained white smoke and spent fuel rods that U.S. officials said could be on the verge of spewing radioactive material.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

I have tried to place myself as being a resident of Japan at this time and wondering what I would I do. I really don't have an answer. Your home, livelihood, and family are there too. IDK..... It is almost as if we are watching a sci-fi movie, but we're not. Almost unfathomable.....but it's not and it's real. I feel such sadness for these people. May God be with them and all the helping hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member