Japan - Namiko Takaba (32) murdered at home, 13 Nov 1999

FacelessPodcast

Verified Author - Miyazawa Family Murders
Reaction score
Murder of Nagoya housewife remains unsolved 24 years later.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 11.49.57.png
I’m the verified author in the Miyazawa Family Murders thread, where I have mentioned this case in passing several times. I’m writing about Namiko's murder today, both because it deserves to have more light shed on it in the English-speaking world, but also because there are some strong parallels with the Miyazawa case. Both are legally significant as they sit at the forefront of the argument for creating a legal framework in Japan for the use of new DNA techniques in LE investigations. At the time of writing, such a framework is not in place. Namiko's husband, Satoru, still pays the rent on the apartment where her murder took place, preserving both his wife's blood in situ, as well as the killer's. The apartment itself is today a time capsule from 1999, everything left as it was. (The landlord keeps the rent low, the hope being that one day the DNA laws in Japan change and more can be made of the physical evidence in the apartment).

Here follows an in-depth break-down of the case (2,000+ words) pulling on sources such as the Aichi Police; the NPA; the Sankei Shimbun; Chukyo TV News; Tokai TV; and the Mainichi Shumbun, among others. Also, while I'm aware it's not an official source, Rhetorica has a very in-depth video on YouTube. Now, on with the case breakdown.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.12.35.png

THE MURDER
The Kato Corp. Building stood in 5-Chome, Inocho, Nishi Ward, Aichi Prefecture. Apartment 201 was an unremarkable family home. Therein lived Satoru, 43, his wife, Namiko, 32, and their son Kohei, a toddler. They were known as a happy, loving family with no obvious enemies. On the 13th of November, 1999, at some time around 12pm, neighbours reported loud noises sounding like "moving furniture, followed by running down the stairs." Around one hour later, the landlord went to the apartment to deliver some fruit and found the door, quite uncharacteristically, unlocked. Peeking inside, she saw Namiko -- her legs in the hallway, her torso laying inside the living room, laying in a pool of blood. But there was blood trailing through the hallway, which had also seemingly accumulated around the entrance of the apartment (in Japanese, the genkan). Paramedics pronounced Namiko dead at the scene and Satoru, who worked in a real estate office, was immediately called home, initially believing his wife had suffered some sort of medical emergency. It was only arriving back at the apartment, where he was forced to stay outside while investigators combed the scene, that he was then informed by paramedics that they believed his wife's death was "unnatural." Thankfully, Kohei was found untouched at the kitchen table, still playing with his toys in silence.

THE LEADS
Detectives entered the apartment which was silent, except for the comedy show playing on the TV: It’s Okay to Laugh! The vacuum was found near the door, making it likely Namiko had been cleaning before the attack. (She was reported to be very cautious when answering the door). Investigators quickly established what paramedics had suspected, as well as the presence of an intruder. Blood was found throughout the hallway, up on walls. Namiko had died face down, her spectacles fallen off her face in the struggle. On her forehead (to the left), there was a pronounced lump. On her neck, she had suffered stab wounds (her severed carotid proving fatal). Her hands displayed typical defensive wounds. There was no evidence of a sexual assault. Detectives found various clues; starting with the blood and multiple footprints. The footprints were a from a 24cm shoe with a heel, which I believe is roughly a UK size 5 (US 7?), produced en masse in South Korea. Police were able to identify them to a batch of some 7,000 delivered to department stores and supermarkets through Northern Kantō and Kyūshū.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.17.48.png

Analysis showed that much of the blood, including in the genkan, belonged to the killer. It also showed the perpetrator was a female with blood type B (which accounts for only one fifth of the population). Detectives also concluded that Namiko had possibly injured her killer (though I've seen nothing anywhere that discounts the possibility that she cut herself during the attack, just like in the case of the Miyazawa Family). The killer’s blood trail led both to Namiko's body and to the bathroom (where she washed her wound). Police believed the culprit’s vein was cut meaning she quite possibly suffered a fairly bad injury. In terms of sequence, police believe Namiko was first attacked in the bathroom and then crawled out, ending up half-way inside the living room where she was found. Kohei was in the kitchen (connected to the living room) at his high-chair. Tragically, it's likely the child saw the attack on his mother. Certainly, she was in his line of sight as she took her last breath.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.08.12.png

In the living room/kitchen area, police found a noodle cup (of a brand which Namiko did not buy). And, on the kitchen table, at which Kohei had been found unharmed by the landlord, a carton of Yakult. Some of the beverage had been spilled (or possibly vomited) at the genkan. But Satoru was adamant that the family never bought that product and it had not come from within the apartment. Detectives traced the carton itself to a lot sold in an area some 30km southeast of the apartment. While Yakult has various products targeted at infants or younger consumers, this particular carton was intended for adults. Detectives assumed, therefore, the carton was brought in by the killer. (note that no blood was found on the carton).

The apartment itself, however, was largely untouched, no rummaging was evident, and nothing was seemingly taken. The murder weapon never materialised and it’s thought the killer may have brought it with her to the scene (which tells us, perhaps, about her intentions from the jump). As stated, Namiko was careful when opening the door and reportedly took a dim view of salesmen and so on. No forced entry was found. It’s possible, as such, the culprit being a woman may have given Namiko a sense of security when opening the door.

ESCAPE AND WITNESSES
Kohei would say, a year after the crime, around the time of the Miyazawa murders; “Mom fought with a woman I didn’t know. Mommy died. Mommy died.” (There is actually footage of this online, it’s heart-breaking). At the age of 4, he would return to the crime scene and said: “The culprit is the woman from the convenience store.” Satoru notified police of this. However, despite the best work of police councillors, this testimony could ultimately not be relied upon. As an adult, Kohei has said many times that he has no memory of the murder, nor making those statements. The blood patterns in the genkan put police in mind of a killer who waited for a time at the door before fleeing, possibly waiting for the right moment to make good her escape. As stated, neighbours heard quick footsteps down the exterior stairs. Blood was found leading down the stairs and in the parking lot. Not only that, but drops of blood were found in intervals of a few metres throughout the neighbourhood telling police that the culprit had fled in a “zig-zag fashion” heading north.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.05.34.png

So, we’re talking about a woman, openly bleeding in a suburban neighbourhood in broad daylight, as she hurried down the street. Her zig-zag route through the backstreets made little sense in terms of economy, she could have essentially walked a straight line. However, it makes more sense if she did not have a solid grasp of the local area. Or, she simply wanted to stay off the more traversed direct path. To the north of the apartment, some 500m away, the killer then entered Inou Park, where she again cleaned her wound at the public water fountain. It's also possible she took a moment to wander around the park for a time. (Satoru was asked if it was possible that Namiko had encountered the killer at said park in the past--he doubted it seeing as Namiko had only been there 2-3 times). The killer left the park, now heading east, where she was spotted by a female witness who described a woman around 40-50 years old, around 160cm in height (5’2 or 5’3) with black hair in a perm, reaching her shoulders. She added: "I was surprised as the woman was holding her left hand with her right hand in a very bloody piece of cloth against her chest (the killer quite possibly a lefty). She seemed to be frowning (grimacing?), in pain.”

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 11.50.10.png

Shortly after this sighting, investigators lost all trace of her. Seeing as the blood trail stopped just after Inou Park outside a housing complex (NTT Complex), investigators looked into the people residing there. But this led nowhere. The complex was torn down not long after the murders. Five minutes after the first sighting, at 12:20pm, there was a second sighting. A male witness, driving his car outside Shotokuji Temple, described the woman identically to the first sighting, except for one difference. The first witness had seen the woman in a black top with black pants, whereas the second said she was wearing a pink sweater and black pants. (None of Namiko’s clothes were reported missing). The man in the car added: “The woman was standing on the corner, she didn’t seem to want to cross at first, but did when I stopped my car.”

The murderer would never be seen again.

THE KILLER
So, what do we know about the killer? We know that she's female--confirmed both by DNA and eye witness accounts. She would be approximately 60-70 years old today. She is Blood Type B. 160cm tall. At one time, she had black, permed hair. She was described as of "medium build" with "single eyelids." Given her injury, it's entirely possible that her (likely left) hand holds a scar to this day. As for her face, witnesses used the word "non-distinct." The police therefore decided not to release the artist’s impression as such a non-distinct face might confuse the public (which makes little sense to me, JMO). However, it was eventually released just a few years ago.

A reward is offered of ¥3m (roughly 20,000USD) for information leading to the apprehension of the killer. As of October 2023, 61 tips have been provided. It is believed the killer has never been arrested before (her DNA is not on the database). Neither of the two witness would describe the woman as in possession of either a weapon, or a bag. Nor was she wearing anything that seemed to be attempting to disguise or hide her identity. Satoru did not recognise the artist’s impression of the culprit. A neighbour, however, reported to police that: a week before the murder, at around 8:10 or 8:20am, a woman that resembled the artist’s impression appeared at the house. “She looked like the sketch because her eyes looked harsh and her hair was wavy and wild. Now that I think about it, she gave me a bad impression. At the time, I saw her talking to Namiko. When I greeted her, I thought she would respond by bowing, but instead she just glared at me. She had a silver case with her… I remember she placed it in between the front door, so it wouldn’t close as she was talking with Namiko.” This tip was made public in November, 2020. To be clear, it was the police who forbade the neighbour from going public with this tip for all that time in order to avoid implicating innocent people.

CONCLUSION
There are various theories swirling around this murder—an affair; a case of mistaken identity; a grudge killing; revenge (based on the actions of Namiko's mother who was involved in some questionable business practices in the past). But we know these all went nowhere. The possibility, of course, of a random attack remains. It would explain why a lack of connection might have hidden the killer so far from being pushed into the light, just as is quite possible with the Miyazawa case. Some theorise, based on the difference in age and beauty of the women, that jealousy might’ve driven the actions of the killer. Others think it was driven by some kind of perverse maternal need or jealousy (though Kohei was left alone, of course). Ultimately, I don’t take a view. The motive, like the killer in the Miyazawa Family case, remains unknown.

For those reading this that have followed the Miyazawa Family murders thread, I’m sure the parallels in this case will be evident. Of course, there are several important differences between them. But the net result is, once again, a home invasion murder, replete with evidence, particularly forensic, yet two decades of silence have passed. (This is in no way to denigrate the work of investigators, I know first-hand how hard-working they are in Japan). Unlike the Miyazawa’s case, here we have actual eye-witnesses and a confirmed direction of travel away from the crime scene. But crucially, Mr. Tabaka still keeps the crime scene perfectly intact (at his own expense, despite living on a pension – the original landlords both passed away but their son pointedly keeps his rent low). There is plastic sheeting in the apartment protecting both his wife’s blood stains, and that of the killer’s. Kohei’s toys are where he left them. A large pile of un-opened mail is making its case as a mound. The calendar stays un-ripped, November 1999. Both Mr. Tabaka and Kohei are actively involved in Sora No Kai, the victim support group that Chief Tsuchita runs (which I have mentioned many times before in the Miyazawa thread). An Irie has previously been involved in it, as is Setsuko Miyazawa, despite being well into her 90s. The Chief campaigns for a change in the law in Japan regarding DNA. For those that don’t know, presently, DNA can only be used in a murder investigation in Japan to compare it to the existing offender database. If there is no match, that’s where DNA is dropped completely. As such, there can be no genetic snapshots, no familial DNA in the vein of GSK etc. For one thing, privacy is deeply revered in Japan. And, even in the event that the law DID change, there are no public DNA databases such as GED Match etc for investigators to cross-reference. The appeal for family tree exploration, 23andMe and so on, is far lower in Japan. But the main stumbling block is that there is no existing legal framework in Japan in this area for DNA to be used in novel ways. However, as seen with the removal of the statute of limitations for murder, after direct pressure from the Sora No Kai group, we know that change is possible.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.08.43.png

Just as with the Miyazawa Murders, police hand out flyers to this day, appealing for any information on the case. Satoru and Kohei still hand out flyers on the anniversary of Namiko’s death. Speaking on Chukyo TV in 2023, Kohei would say: “Even though I think it must have been hard [on my father] after the incident, I was raised until I could go to college and get a job, for which I’m very thankful.” His voice almost cracks with emotion as he speaks these words, sitting next to his father. Both men look into space.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.10.23.png

Today, Satoru is the representative secretary of Sora No Kai, where he campaigns for justice tirelessly, along with other victimised family members (including the family of Lindsay Hawker, among others). In 2010, following years of hard work from the group, the law was changed to remove the statute of limitations. Applause resounded in the Diet chamber.

Afterwads, an emotional Satoru would say to Chukyo TV: “I’m really glad we were able to witness this together…” fighting back tears, he would poignantly add. “This evening, for just a little bit… we can be happy. Tomorrow, I want to try my best to catch the culprit again.”

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.10.09.png
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 03.28.00.png

Last edited:
Saturo seems as though he'd be willing to send DNA from the apartment overseas, or to an independent testing lab. That appears to be the best way for him to help resolve the case. I'd find it interesting to compare and contrast his feelings, attitudes, etc. towards sending out DNA with that of An Irie (Miyazawa case), who seemingly doesn't wish to do so.That itself may serve as a valuable clue.

Thanks Nic, for all your efforts on another case. I appreciate your work and dedication.

Last edited:
@FacelessPodcast

This is a really interesting case and a well-written and informative post.

It's interesting that the Yakult (and the noodle box?) was unbloodied. It suggests the killer was in the apartment for some time *before* the murder. That both she and Namiko were comfortable enough with each other that the killer brought her lunch with her. As you suggest, the amount of the killer's blood in the entrance could mean the killer waited there before leaving.

If Namiko was first attacked in the bathroom, it suggests either that she saw the danger and attempted to hide (but would she leave Kohei undefended?) or that she saw no danger and was comfortable going into the bathroom with a guest in the apartment.

The bump on Namiko's head may mean she was hit with, or against, something. Maybe an attempt to stun or kill her without using the knife.

Other than the amount of the killer's blood left behind, and the fact that it has gone unsolved, I don't see much similarity with the Miyazawas. For one thing, with this case it's seems like Namiko *must* have known the killer to some degree. This feels like an argument gone bad. Kohei's comment about "the woman from the convenience store" can't be ignored, even if Kohei no longer remembers making it.

I think this, like the Miyazawa case, is one where the killer never planned for getting injured. She probably intended to be in and out of the apartment quickly, maybe on her lunch break. But the injury *must* have been noticed.

It's great that the scene has been preserved. Satoru presumably doesn't have the kind of money required to send samples away for private testing, but if funding could be provided I wonder if anything could be done without LE involvement.

Untitled-2.jpg

I'm not sure how much the area has changed since 1999, but I walked the killer's escape route on Google Maps. It strikes me that although the route "zig-zags," it is the most direct route through the back streets, avoiding the main roads as much as possible.

I feel like the killer must have been familiar with the area. It just doesn't feel like a random escape route.

The blood trail ended abruptly at another apartment complex (now demolished) near Inou Park. Yet nobody at that apartment complex appears to have had any knowledge of the killer. I wonder if a vehicle was parked in the apartment complex car park; close enough to Namiko's apartment for an easy escape, but far enough away that nobody would connect the parked vehicle to the crime.

Do you know how much the convenience store possibility (based on 4 year old Kohei's statement) was investigated? Were all convenience stores in the area investigated re: employees? How wide of a net was spread for that; did it go as far as 30km southeast of the apartment (where the carton came from)?

Did convenience stores make deliveries back then? Was door-to-door selling common back then & in that area (esp. at an apartment)?

Thank you, @FacelessPodcast! An interesting case. I admire the Tabaka's family dedication to the case; one could see that ther wife and mother is very much loved and remembered. I think this might be a more straightforward DNA criminology case.

I don't think that sending DNA to a commercial lab here for FMS and autosomal testing could be expensive. The good part is, there is a son and a husband available, so in case of mixed DNA sample, which is very common in such cases, Kohei's and Satoru's DNA could be used to phase off Namiko's DNA from the perp's one. (I assume there is a huge intermixture of the two bloods given how bloody the whole scene was).

Now, professional genetic criminology labs might be more expensive, but I can't imagine that a fund-raising company would not yield the money.

I think a known lab here will do a good job; when it comes to comparing with known genetic databases, here are numbers for Japanese diaspora in different countries.

(Brazil, as you can see. I don't know whether the Brazilians use open genetic databases available in the US, or South America has its own ones, but for some reason, Brazil is on my mind in Setagaya's case as well. I know the Mormons do missionary work in South America, and they are huge in DNA ancestry.)

Some articles about female killers. Not from Japan, but I assume some factors can be the same.

It would seem that from what the articles state,

1) the chance of the female perpetrator and the victim knowing one another is higher than if the perp were a man
2) the female perpetrator killing in the house is more common
3) poison or a sharp object is common
4) while less frequently than men, 40% of female killers suffer from mental illness
5) sexual reason is uncommon, but jealousy or revenge is a common motive. Most common, female murderer view the murder as the solution to a problem
6) being inebriated is common

What does one make out of it? Maybe, as it seems, the murder was better planned, and pre-planned, and there was some connection between the women? School, college, prior work?

The problem is, a woman's world might be very demarcated from a male's one. Who would a woman easily open a door to? A hairdresser that visits her client comes to mind, and it is a very convenient setup for a murder, but I don't know what Japanese customs are in this regard. Or if ms. Nagoya had a known hairdresser who would make house visits, would her husband know the person? Or, say, could the perpetrator be a person hired for housecleaning and making the first visit?

The fact that she spared the kid is unsurprising (he was not her goal), but is thought-provoking.

Saturo seems as though he'd be willing to send DNA from the apartment overseas, or to an independent testing lab. That appears to be the best way for him to help resolve the case. I'd find it interesting to compare and contrast his feelings, attitudes, etc. towards sending out DNA with that of An Irie (Miyazawa case), who seemingly doesn't wish to do so.That itself may serve as a valuable clue.

Thanks Nic, for all your efforts on another case. I appreciate your work and dedication.
Thank you, Steve, for your kind words!

As I understand it, Mr. Tabaka is torn. He wants to find out more about the killer, of course, but doesn't want to be seen as circumventing the local police who he obviously wants to keep on-side.

@FacelessPodcast

This is a really interesting case and a well-written and informative post.
Thank you, @Interested_But_Confused! Much appreciated.
It's interesting that the Yakult (and the noodle box?) was unbloodied. It suggests the killer was in the apartment for some time *before* the murder. That both she and Namiko were comfortable enough with each other that the killer brought her lunch with her. As you suggest, the amount of the killer's blood in the entrance could mean the killer waited there before leaving.
Yes, I did wonder about the noodles and the Yakult carton both being unbloodied. I didn't read anything about the killer's DNA or fingerprints being on either and, despite what Mr. Tabaka says about both items being foreign to his household, wonder if it was completely ruled out as an impulse-buy by Namiko? Seems wholly reasonable that, given it was midday, she would prepare some noodles and give Kohei a Yakult (even if it wasn't a kids version of the drink). If that was totally ruled out, then it leaves two possibilities. One brings us back into Miyazawa territory. Seemingly, a killer in the home where a murder has just been carried out, comfortable enough to eat a snack and have a drink. The other possibility suggests that Namiko must have known the woman (possibly she could've fabricated some connection with her mother) enough to let her into the house -- or taken her at her word. In this scenario, I find it difficult to imagine Namiko offering her a cup of noodles and a Yakult, though. My last point here: I find it interesting the possibility that the killer drank the Yakult and then threw it up in the genkan while she was bleeding. Perhaps shock, panic or revulsion?
If Namiko was first attacked in the bathroom, it suggests either that she saw the danger and attempted to hide (but would she leave Kohei undefended?) or that she saw no danger and was comfortable going into the bathroom with a guest in the apartment.
Exactly. And, if the latter is right, then comfortable enough with this guest to leave Kohei unattended and go to the bathroom. If the attacker was some kind of salesperson (or pretending to be), and the neighbour was right about the silver case, then I can only imagine the product was connected to the bathroom or toiletries in some way? I think I'm right in saying that neighbour actually assumed the woman was a cosmetics salesperson initially.
The bump on Namiko's head may mean she was hit with, or against, something. Maybe an attempt to stun or kill her without using the knife.
I did wonder about this. Is it possible that Satoru was wrong and the knife was from inside the home? The two different types of violence --blunt force and then stabbing-- makes me think it's possible an attack was either unplanned, or the attack was initially not intended to be fatal and simply span out of control. Given Namiko might've felt her child's life was at stake, is it possible she herself grabbed the knife (explaining the killer's injuries) but lost her grip on it? Alternatively, the killer brought the knife with her from the first moment planning murder all along, and had a good enough story to get past Namiko, into the house. Though I suppose we can't discount her immediately attacking Namiko the second she opened the door.
Other than the amount of the killer's blood left behind, and the fact that it has gone unsolved, I don't see much similarity with the Miyazawas. For one thing, with this case it's seems like Namiko *must* have known the killer to some degree. This feels like an argument gone bad. Kohei's comment about "the woman from the convenience store" can't be ignored, even if Kohei no longer remembers making it.
Yes, there are of course big departures from the Miyazawa case as I say. But, the similarities as I saw them:

*Home invasion murder without, seemingly, any motive.
*Significant amount of evidence left behind but 20+ years of silence.
*Plenty of DNA in the house yet killer not on database (we've heard nothing about her DNA from police, incidentally).
*Fingerprints everywhere.
*Footprints (of a Korean-made shoe).
*No sexual component.
*Killer stabbed victim but cut themselves leaving significant amounts of blood behind.
*Killer possibly ate and drank at the scene.
*Killer took nothing / next to nothing.
*Ultimately, another case where a great deal more could be known about the killer but given legal limitations, the DNA will remain ignored until / if a framework is put in place.

RE: Kohei's comment about seeing the woman at the convenience store, I'm torn. The shoes the killer were wearing were on sale at 'kobini's', and the noodle cup and the Yakult carton feel like they came from one too. If Kohei did actually recognise her, even if councillors would ultimately deem his testimony unreliable, I have to imagine the detectives did check all local convenience stores. How hard could it be to find a woman with the right profile sporting a hand injury? Even if it was a year later, she would very likely have a scar. Alternatively, store managers would remember an employee of the right age, suddenly quitting and disappearing? Of course, not impossible that police DID investigate this and the killer simply slipped through their fingers. Then again, kids say a lot of things and given the attention Kohei would've been given in relation to what he saw happen to his mother (camera crews, detectives, councillors etc), he maybe felt pressured, even if indirectly, to say something.
I think this, like the Miyazawa case, is one where the killer never planned for getting injured. She probably intended to be in and out of the apartment quickly, maybe on her lunch break. But the injury *must* have been noticed.
Hard agree. If she cut a vein, in particular, that's going to put her in a difficult territory. Could she really tough it out without seeking any kind of medical attention somewhere? I have to assume the detectives immediately started checking hospitals and medical facilities, even first aid at stations, for reports of a woman that fit the bill on that day.
It's great that the scene has been preserved. Satoru presumably doesn't have the kind of money required to send samples away for private testing, but if funding could be provided I wonder if anything could be done without LE involvement.
Yes, for sure. As I say above, I think he's in a difficult situation with this. He wants to know more, of course. But also doesn't want to offend the local detectives. It's a possibility I will speak to him if / when I can get funding for Season 2 of my podcast. I think looking at this case can also help contextualise the Miyazawa Murders, for various reasons, but ultimately the net result of the police investigation.

View attachment 492599

I'm not sure how much the area has changed since 1999, but I walked the killer's escape route on Google Maps. It strikes me that although the route "zig-zags," it is the most direct route through the back streets, avoiding the main roads as much as possible.

I feel like the killer must have been familiar with the area. It just doesn't feel like a random escape route.
Yes, exactly. I mean it's midday, there is no way *nobody* is going to see you, whether you take the main road or not. And so it proved. But taking the back streets keeps the number of witnesses down, at least. So, either she took a left out of the house because she wanted to achieve this or she simply fled in a panic. If her objective was to reach a getaway car, given that she's already openly bleeding, she probably just would've taken a right out of the apartment and walked up the main road in a straight line, ultimately taking a right at Inou Park where we lose her trace. Then again, if there was such a car, it seems like quite a distance to park as a getaway. There was an empty lot directly outside the apartment (which the killer hurried across). We could factor in the driver's reticence to be connected to the crime scene, perhaps. S/he is close enough for the killer to walk to but not close enough to be remembered in conjunction with the crime?
The blood trail ended abruptly at another apartment complex (now demolished) near Inou Park. Yet nobody at that apartment complex appears to have had any knowledge of the killer. I wonder if a vehicle was parked in the apartment complex car park; close enough to Namiko's apartment for an easy escape, but far enough away that nobody would connect the parked vehicle to the crime.
Maybe at this point, the killer found a towel or some clothes or some such, hanging up to dry? She snatched them down, bundled her hand, and thus it stemmed the bleeding more? We know just prior to this, she washed it in the fountain. Then again, the second witness didn't report anything like a towel... This is the street view roughly around where her trace disappears. Note the drying clothes. I'm sure it was different in 1999 but just to illustrate the possibility:
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 14.12.57.png

Do you know how much the convenience store possibility (based on 4 year old Kohei's statement) was investigated? Were all convenience stores in the area investigated re: employees? How wide of a net was spread for that; did it go as far as 30km southeast of the apartment (where the carton came from)?
Sadly, I can't answer these with certainty, @vls12345. I don't have any kind of inside track on this case (though I do have a contact with Mr. Tabaka, and obviously he's close with the Chief who is now my friend). However, what I can say is that it would astonish me if the investigators didn't at least look into this. The carton possibility alone, irrespective of what Kohei said, would've been worth tracking down on Day 1. And the very fact that looked at the batch number tells us it wouldn't have escaped their notice. If the carton told them the region 30km away is where it came from, I'm almost definite they sent detectives out that way.
Did convenience stores make deliveries back then? Was door-to-door selling common back then & in that area (esp. at an apartment)?
@Incoherent, maybe you can answer this re: the kobini delivery question? In my own experience, I'd never seen that. However, you can have things delivered to a konbini. (Also send packages etc). So, maybe it is possible. If so, whether that was a thing in 1999 Nagoya, I have no idea. Door-to-door selling is common, from my own limited experience. Though I'm speaking for my time in Tokyo, at least. We also know that, from the sounds of it, Namiko had some bad experiences with salesmen (which explains why she was cautious about opening the door). There is also the situation with her mother which I won't go into detail about. But essentially, her mother got into some legal problems and her arrest was in the newspapers. That makes me wonder if Namiko was also wary about who she answered the door to. (To be clear, these criminal charges related to some kind of possible health drink scam, though her mother was released without charge, as I understand it).

Thank you for sharing Namiko Tabaka’s story with us! You were very informative and I hope her family will get justice.

A part of me did wonder if this case is similar to that of the legendary singer Selena. For example, did Namiko bump into once or twice at the park or convenience store, was nice to this woman and thought she developed a casual friendship or familiarity with her whereas the perp actually became obsessive, possessive and jealous of Namiko instead? Perhaps after a while Namiko noticed something was wrong or was pulling away and unable or unwilling to respect and accept that, the perp developed a violent rage that led to her premeditated and horrific murder.

One reason I thought of this idea is due to the fact the perp placed her briefcase in between the doorway, possibly to prevent it from closing on her. This IMO implied to me that the perp did not respect boundaries or Namiko’s right to close her home to her. The uncalled glare to her neighbor was off-putting as well.

I agree that Namiko was unfortunately likely attacked in the bathroom unawares. If they were friendly towards one another I wonder if she invited Namiko for a walk or something and brought the food with her not just to eat but also to appear casual. Also, it does not appear the briefcase was with her this time which also makes it seem this was a casual or friendly visit. Namiko was probably getting ready to leave before the attack initiated.

I think too that perhaps the perp had a friend or family member in the area she disappeared in who might have lent her new clothes and bandages to cover the wound.

It is also possible the perp, with or without help, left town for good at least within the next few days after they carried out Namiko’s brutal murder unfortunately to avoid being held accountable or brought to justice.

Fantastic write up @FacelessPodcast and very informative. As far as theories go, the ones you have mentioned are as far as mine go without spending some more time to think about it.

The briefcase stuck between the door is particularly concerning. Door to door salespeople do exist here, but such aggressive tactics are unheard of and the police would be called. I’d say Namiko knew this woman in some capacity. If it was the same woman as her killer, then she knew her killer I’m sure.
Another murder that could be solved if the DNA usage laws were to be overturned…
@Incoherent, maybe you can answer this re: the kobini delivery question? In my own experience, I'd never seen that. However, you can have things delivered to a konbini. (Also send packages etc). So, maybe it is possible. If so, whether that was a thing in 1999 Nagoya, I have no idea. Door-to-door selling is common, from my own limited experience. Though I'm speaking for my time in Tokyo, at least.
You’re right, convenience stores here do not do deliveries but you can have something sent there and stored in a locker for pick up.

Just going off of that since it’s what Kohei also mentioned: where the family lives will be surrounded by many of them since they’re in the middle of Nagoya city. Of course he was too young to say which store, but the police would have a heck of a job checking them all even in a smaller radius around the house. I hope they did though. Children see and hear almost everything and to discount what he said, even at the young age of 4, would be really foolish.

Added thread to the international section..

And maybe one day in the future...

''Send items for DNA analysis.​

1. Submit Case Information​

Use our online platform to quickly and safely send us your case information. We review each and every case to ensure we provide only the best service to you.

2. Receive & Review Quote​

Upon reviewing your request, we will send you a quote for the services to be performed. We begin lab work only after you have reviewed and approved your quote.

3. Send Items for Analysis​

Ship your items to our lab with the instructions we will provide you. We will keep you updated on the status of your case throughout the lab analysis process.''

I am thinking that the perpetrator could be secretly obsessed with Mr. Tabaka, given that the woman, age-wise, would probably be in between the husband and the wife.

He is a loyal man, a good husband and father. All his life demonstrates his dedication to the wife. This, paradoxically, could have been enough of a reason. Decent and loyal men are incredibly attractive to women; far from everyone falls for "bad boys".

He could have not recognized the killer on the composite because was not directly from his circle, a younger sister of a schoolmate, for example?

She could have been following him, then, Namiko and child, then decided that as a widower with a kid, he could eventually think of remarrying and become approachable.

I wonder if she was on the periphery of Mr. Tabaka's life, maybe they had the same hobby that Ms. Tabaka didn't share? She was not in his view, but could move in easily enough.

Another issue about the recognition, how reliable is Mr. Tabaka's facial memory? His son must have a good one, but did he inherit it from mom, or from dad?

I wouldn't be surprised if the killer had the plan to approach Mr. Tabaka later. But, he appeared too devoted a husband and a father, even after his wife died. It is also possible that the woman got the wind of the composite sketch, or simply, she got sick/started drinking more, and just went downhill from there?

About "the lady from the store", much depends on whether she worked there or was another customer that Namiko came across. Someone advertising services, who left her business card with Namiko?

Last edited:
For some reason, considering these cases together immediately brought to mind Gwendolyn Graham and Cathy Wood - nurses who killed patients based on their initials with the goal of spelling a word.

In different internet sources, I have encountered the names Takaha, Takaba and Tabaka. What would be the correct pronunciation of Ms. Namiko's last name?
Having listened to Rhetorica's video, I realized that it happened on Saturday. For a murderer to come to the house to kill a woman in broad daylight on Saturday is very bold. She either did not plan to kill, or she didn't care if she'd be caught. Strange.

Other versions mentioned there.

They discussed if Namiko could have an affair and a jealous wife killed her. As the reason for the murder it is very likely (removing the obstacle). What speaks against it would be the fact that usually at such times, people become secretive, and Namiko was planning to move to a bigger apartment and planned to move her mom in to live with them, planned to have one more child. Not typical for a person having a secret relationship.

Her mom's illegal activity. If the woman.lost someone, a husband or a child, to some illness treated by this "pseudo-miracle drug", then, hopelessness could have pushed her to kill Namiko (not a mistaken identity - more like, your child for my child).

Mr. Satoru's first wife. In a detective novel I have read, two people decided to switch victims. In the absence of any connection between the murderer and the victim, both cases remained unsolved. So if the woman from another place killed Mr. Satoru ex-wife's intended victim, and then, Ms. Satoru killed that woman's victim, this could explain the woman walking around as if she wasn't a local. It is far-fetched, but if there was another unsolved murder within a year from this one, it is not impossible. However, we don't know if Mr. Satoru's ex had that much grudge about Namiko.

If from the Setagaya murders I get an impression of a young, hedonistic man driven to murders by inner sadism, this case feels very different. Hopelessness and desperation.

In different internet sources, I have encountered the names Takaha, Takaba and Tabaka. What would be the correct pronunciation of Ms. Namiko's last name?
Her name is Takaba Namiko 高羽奈美子
There are mistranslations of her family name as it can be read in more than one way, but in this instance it is Takaba.

It is definitely Takaba (高羽), this is how every news report pronounces it. Takaha comes from misreading the last kanji which can be pronounced as 'ha'. Tabaka is a misspelling, the first kanji cannot be 'taba'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back