JLM Charged in 2005 Farifax Rape Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another article today from The Daily Progress:

Jesse Matthew to appear in Fairfax court this week for hearings
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 12:21 pm
Daily Progress Staff Reports

The man accused of kidnapping 18-year-old University of Virginia student Hannah Graham will be in Fairfax court on Thursday and Friday for motion hearings on unrelated sexual assault charges.

Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 33, of Albemarle County, is scheduled for a two-week trial in Fairfax starting March 9. He is charged with attempted capital murder, abduction with the intent to defile and sexual assault.

<snip>

One of Matthew's attorneys, Jim Camblos III, said Matthew should be present for hearings both days. The Thursday hearing at 2 p.m. is for a media request and the Friday hearing at 10 a.m. is for motions on a requested gag order, funds for expert witnesses and discovery, Camblos said.

An employee at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center said Matthew had been there since Saturday. He was previously being held in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

Another article today from The Daily Progress:

Jesse Matthew to appear in Fairfax court this week for hearings
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 12:21 pm
Daily Progress Staff Reports

The man accused of kidnapping 18-year-old University of Virginia student Hannah Graham will be in Fairfax court on Thursday and Friday for motion hearings on unrelated sexual assault charges.

Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., 33, of Albemarle County, is scheduled for a two-week trial in Fairfax starting March 9. He is charged with attempted capital murder, abduction with the intent to defile and sexual assault.

<snip>

One of Matthew's attorneys, Jim Camblos III, said Matthew should be present for hearings both days. The Thursday hearing at 2 p.m. is for a media request and the Friday hearing at 10 a.m. is for motions on a requested gag order, funds for expert witnesses and discovery, Camblos said.

An employee at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center said Matthew had been there since Saturday. He was previously being held in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

Good find Concerned Mama!!!

I am so grateful people are continuing to follow this case.

Rest in Peace Sweet Hannah!! I am praying and thinking about the parents tonight and I hope time and God will heal some of their sorrow.

If i am not mistaken, it will be capital murder. Always capital when abduction is involved.

Another article in which it is mentioned that there is only 1 DNA "hit" related to JM from Fairfax rape victim...others submitted..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a04376-983f-11e4-8005-1924ede3e54a_story.html

From that article:

"Public Defender Dawn Butorac argued that the expert was necessary because the DNA evidence is crucial to the prosecution&#8217;s case. She said authorities had conducted 17 DNA tests on eight suspects during the investigation."

&#8220;The only piece of evidence the commonwealth has linking this defendant [to this case] is DNA scraped from underneath one fingernail of the defendant,&#8221; Butorac said in court."

"After the hearing, Fairfax County Commonwealth&#8217;s Attorney Raymond F. Morrogh declined to comment on Butorac&#8217;s characterization of the evidence, saying it might jeopardize the defendant&#8217;s right to a fair trial."

Do you think this means she wants to see the results from the other DNA tests? What bearing could the other tests have to do with JLM's match, I wonder?

I will probably attend some of it. I cant plan that far out for the full two weeks.

I don't think it will last that long really.

Sinead1989 the link upthread said it the date is set for March 9th 2015.

From that article:

"Public Defender Dawn Butorac argued that the expert was necessary because the DNA evidence is crucial to the prosecution&#8217;s case. She said authorities had conducted 17 DNA tests on eight suspects during the investigation."

&#8220;The only piece of evidence the commonwealth has linking this defendant [to this case] is DNA scraped from underneath one fingernail of the defendant,&#8221; Butorac said in court."

"After the hearing, Fairfax County Commonwealth&#8217;s Attorney Raymond F. Morrogh declined to comment on Butorac&#8217;s characterization of the evidence, saying it might jeopardize the defendant&#8217;s right to a fair trial."

Do you think this means she wants to see the results from the other DNA tests? What bearing could the other tests have to do with JLM's match, I wonder?

Answering my own question - from the article Heroine posted today:

"Matthew's defense also asked the court for $2,000 to better examine DNA in the case, since the alleged Fairfax rape initially involved 8 other possible suspects, the defense says that led to some 17 different analysis reports. So they say they'll now need an independent expert to review those reports, suggesting the state lab that performed the analysis could be biased in favor of the prosecution. The judge granted the funds."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/27803865...w-rape-case?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

Answering my own question - from the article Heroine posted today:

"Matthew's defense also asked the court for $2,000 to better examine DNA in the case, since the alleged Fairfax rape initially involved 8 other possible suspects, the defense says that led to some 17 different analysis reports. So they say they'll now need an independent expert to review those reports, suggesting the state lab that performed the analysis could be biased in favor of the prosecution. The judge granted the funds."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/27803865...w-rape-case?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

This doesn't sound right to me. I can fully support the need to verify the positive DNA results implicating the suspect but, crumb, I don't think we should support double-checking all of the suspects! Dang, that will be so time consuming and expensive (for us ~ the tax payers!). Certainly, if the primary suspect's DNA results were in any way questionable, the others should be retested. But it is a total waste and fishing expedition to have everyone's DNA retested.

Oh, and who here (from my untrained opinion) thinks that $2,000 will cover retesting of 17 analysis reports? :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven