JLM *GUILTY* in 2005 Fairfax County Rape Case #2

I hate to even post this, but the court has uploaded the latest motion from the defense to suppress possible ID by the victim. Unfortunately, they include the victim's name and other identifying information. Not good!!
Happy dance! I called the clerk about the name being unredacted and now the motion is down from the website. I just wish it hadn't been out in public to start with.

Happy dance! I called the clerk about the name being unredacted and now the motion is down from the website. I just wish it hadn't been out in public to start with.

you do so rock, Hoosgirl,

30262170-Fireworks-celebration-Redentore-venice-Italy--Stock-Photo.jpg

Thank you times a million! She doesn't need any more humiliation than she has already dealt with. If the victim chooses to display her name, that should be her choice, not Dawn Butorac's. IMO. Thank you!!

I wanted to see the motion but oh well

Thank you!!!! is not enough. *You rock*. (And so do the media outlets which have removed, or not published, the name).

My google-mojo is not working too well tonight :(, does anyone have the name of the prosecutor (Commonwealth attorney?) handy? TIA.

ETA : am I right I'm thinking Ray Morrogh and Casey Lingan are the prosecutors?

I believe the judge will be addressing the issue of the victim's name being released at tomorrow's hearing ;)

Thank you!!!! is not enough. *You rock*. (And so do the media outlets which have removed, or not published, the name).

My google-mojo is not working too well tonight :(, does anyone have the name of the prosecutor (Commonwealth attorney?) handy? TIA.

ETA : am I right I'm thinking Ray Morrogh and Casey Lingan are the prosecutors?
I so agree. I am glad the media refrained from publishing the name.

I see Lingan as submitting at least one motion from the state, so I think you are right.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jesse-matthew-scheduled-pretrial-hearing-virginia-31182545

<Prosecutors say they have DNA evidence linking Matthew to the crime.

A hearing is scheduled for Friday afternoon.>

So apparently the released the name of the victim and then redacted it.. did I get that right?

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/19/defense-...ce-of-fairfax-victims-id-of-jesse-matthew-jr/

<Documents alleged Matthew choked her and sexually assaulted her with his hand. DNA was taken from the victim and that sample linked Matthew to the offense, according to the documents.

That evidence prompted Matthew’s defense to request funds in the amount of $2,000 for a DNA expert.>

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/jesse-matthew-scheduled-pretrial-hearing-virginia-31182545

<Prosecutors say they have DNA evidence linking Matthew to the crime.

A hearing is scheduled for Friday afternoon.>

So apparently the released the name of the victim and then redacted it.. did I get that right?

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/19/defense-...ce-of-fairfax-victims-id-of-jesse-matthew-jr/

<Documents alleged Matthew choked her and sexually assaulted her with his hand. DNA was taken from the victim and that sample linked Matthew to the offense, according to the documents.

That evidence prompted Matthew&#8217;s defense to request funds in the amount of $2,000 for a DNA expert.>

BBM. In a nutshell, the defense put out a motion and in that motion they used the full name of the victim, rather than the initials RG. The court unknowingly uploaded that motion to the court website. When they were made aware, they removed it. Then, the judge sealed the motion until after the hearing tomorrow, where they will discuss the motion itself, as well as the appropriate way to address the victim.

Generally, sexual assault victims are referred to by first name and last initial of last name, or just initials. In the Steve Biela case for example, two of his victims are referred to as Emma C and Amanda C. In the Fairfax case, however, they did say her full name would be used in court, but mainstream media will not publish it, for the sake of being ethical.

Neal Augenstein, WTOP:

Judge ordered both sides in #JesseMatthew rape case to use victim's initials in filings, rather than full name
2:53pm - 22 May 15

Judge denied defense motion to have victim brought here today to ID #JesseMatthew. Defense said it would be unfair to have 1st ID at trial
2:54pm - 22 May 15

Judge denied #JesseMatthew defense motion to have court pay to bring victim to US from India to ID Matthew before June 8 trial
2:56pm - 22 May 15

Judge granted defense motion to have victim ID #JesseMatthew in Thursday hearing before Monday June 8 trial date.
2:57pm - 22 May 15

Defense had made motion to delay trial, but agreed to hold off before ID hearing
2:59pm - 22 May 15

More Neal tweets:

#JesseMatthew said nothing to court during motions hearing, sitting next to public defender Robert Frank, while pub def Dawn Butorac spoke.
3:00pm - 22 May 15

Judge thanked media for discretion in not publishing victim's name in #JesseMatthew rape case. Filing on court site made it public Weds.
3:04pm - 22 May 15

Prosecution said victim is "cooperative but uncomfortable" about testifying against #JesseMatthew, and "concerned for her privacy."
3:09pm - 22 May 15

Judge rules victim in #JesseMatthew rape case will have chance to ID him in court three days before trial. pic.twitter.com/fdz32G3Z2K
3:18pm - 22 May 15

Great tweet coverage, Mr. Augenstein! Thank you to WTOP and the other media outlets for your restraint, and to Fairfax court for your actions to protect the victim. Thanks of all to RG for your bravery.

http://wtop.com/virginia/2015/05/fairfax-court-publishes-name-of-victim-in-jesse-matthew-rape-case/

UPDATE &#8211; Friday &#8211; 5/22/2015, 11:30 a.m.

<WASHINGTON &#8212; According to court records, Judge David Schell will hear arguments during a Friday hearing over whether the victim&#8217;s &#8220;full name should be used or whether initials are more appropriate.&#8221;

Matthew is due in court Friday, for a motions hearing on the defense&#8217;s request to suppress the victim&#8217;s identification of Matthew, because of pre-trial publicity.>

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...or-Pretrial-Hearing-in-Fairfax-304683101.html

<Jesse Matthew, of Charlottesville, is scheduled for an afternoon pretrial hearing in Fairfax, ahead of a trial next month for a 2005 attack and sexual assault on a woman.>

Great tweet coverage, Mr. Augenstein! Thank you to WTOP and the other media outlets for your restraint, and to Fairfax court for your actions to protect the victim. Thanks of all to RG for your bravery.

Yes. Very neat smart tweets, always from Mr. Augenstein. Thank you, Hoosgirl and 4 Free Speech!!! May the the good news keep coming...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back