JLM: Psych Thread - Professional and Non-Professional Opinions/Theories

I've posted about this before, but at the risk of beating a dead horse: He appears to have had a thing about physically picking people up. He (apparently) did it during the Fairfax attack, he did it to random girls he didn't know in bars, he did it in high school. I find the high school account very telling: That would have been a very big "moment" for JLM, a moment of showing his power that brought positive social attention (if I'm reading the account right). That high school moment could have been emotionally and possibly even sexually arousing. Maybe he kept re-enacting it in some twisted way? That moment of power?

ETA: I don't subscribe to the theory that 2002 rape allegations fueled his rage, and set him off on his course as a sadistic killer. No. You don't become a sadist because of a single incident in early adulthood. He was a sadist long before that. And he reportedly savagely beat at least one of the college rape victims. If the allegation is true, he was already a sadistic rapist by college.

What happened to JM in high school? Where can I read it at?

I believe that was more of an act of self preservation than remorse. Had he been arrested for assault they would have gotten his DNA into the database and undoubtedly he knew he left DNA behind at the 2005 crime scene. It *could* have been remorse, but I bet it was more of an "Oh s---, if I get arrested then I'm caught."

I agree. I think it was just all an act to try to avoid police

yes, big thank you to SolVol for the link. Excellent reading.

I've posted about this before, but at the risk of beating a dead horse: He appears to have had a thing about physically picking people up. He (apparently) did it during the Fairfax attack, he did it to random girls he didn't know in bars, he did it in high school. I find the high school account very telling: That would have been a very big "moment" for JLM, a moment of showing his power that brought positive social attention (if I'm reading the account right). That high school moment could have been emotionally and possibly even sexually arousing. Maybe he kept re-enacting it in some twisted way? That moment of power?

ETA: I don't subscribe to the theory that 2002 rape allegations fueled his rage, and set him off on his course as a sadistic killer. No. You don't become a sadist because of a single incident in early adulthood. He was a sadist long before that. And he reportedly savagely beat at least one of the college rape victims. If the allegation is true, he was already a sadistic rapist by college.

BMM I agree and was not suggesting a single incident triggered a sexual predator. But I do believe it played a role in his development as one. I think he was already headed that direction but the 02 experience amped up his evolution into the predator we now know him to be.

ETAA as to the rest of yours, you raise some valid points.

I am religious. I do not believe God creates junk. We all have things we are born with and have to overcome. We have free will.

I struggle with this. Because unfortunately there are children who come into this world with terminal birth defects. There are 2 year olds who die from cancer. If a baby can be born with a defective heart and a 2 year old can get leukemia, why can't the same be true for a defective brain?

Now, do I think a defective brain can make a serial killer? Not necessarily. But I think a defective brain can alter how people with "normal" brains think of free will. Let's talk simplistically about suicide and depression. It's easy for someone who is not depressed to say that suicide is "free will" - for the person trapped in the clinically depressed brain, it is something they perceive as their only alternative.

Mental illness is very real. As real as cancer or heart disease. I am fortunate to have a "normal brain" (LOL - at least I think so), but I have watched a family member struggle with paranoid schizophrenia and close friend struggle with severe bipolar disorder. Their diseases are just as real as other physical ones. And unfortunately their diseases do affect what one would consider normal decision making. It's heartbreaking.

I have no knowledge of what, if any, psychological issues or brain deficits JLM may have had or currently has. I have no knowledge of what known psychological disorders can predispose a person to violence or how they can be "treated." Unfortunately and sadly though, I do think people can be born and in some way be "broken."

What happened to JM in high school? Where can I read it at?

I read about that here on WS: Reportedly, there was some sort of big fight or brawl, and JLM swooped in and "saved" a girl by throwing her over his shoulder and carrying her away from harm.

This has been brought up here before, but I think that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) may have played a major role in JLM's alleged aberrant behavior. We know JLM played football for many years, starting in adolescence or even before. We also have evidence of several professional football players (Junior Seau, Jovan Belcher, and others) acting violently in their personal lives who were confirmed post-mortem to have CTE. Unfortunately we don't yet know much about CTE, but I think it could be a significant factor here.

This has been brought up here before, but I think that chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) may have played a major role in JLM's alleged aberrant behavior. We know JLM played football for many years, starting in adolescence or even before. We also have evidence of several professional football players (Junior Seau, Jovan Belcher, and others) acting violently in their personal lives who were confirmed post-mortem to have CTE. Unfortunately we don't yet know much about CTE, but I think it could be a significant factor here.

Damage and tumors of the frontal lobe of the brain can lead to loss of moral judgment and self control resulting in unseemly changes in behavior.

JM punched a classmate in 7th grade and had a hard time/dark decline that year, though the school and others tried to help him. He seemed to come out of it in high school, though he got overzealous at times while wrestling and the coach had to pull him off.

Didn't JM show remorse though immediately after he assaulted a guy in 2009? He apparently lost his temper then apologized and acted remorseful from what I have read. I think he even offered to drive the guy to the hospital. It could have just been all an act though.

Was he really sorry or did he 'act remorseful' in order to keep from getting into trouble, embarrassing his family or did he realize that having to give a DNA due to a felony assault would link him to the Fairfax rape - and possibly a lot more victims? (and other rapes?)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...NES-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=11125831#post11125831

I can't read his heart and mind.

I don't see JM as being someone affected by a football/other injury. I think he's defective but in other ways. It's interesting to me actually as I've noticed people in the US will more readily suggest this whereas us Brits are a bit more reserved in that regard. It's not a criticism as I know there is a lot of evidence re: head injuries, but it really hasn't taken off in the UK so far.

Damage and tumors of the frontal lobe of the brain can lead to loss of moral judgment and self control resulting in unseemly changes in behavior.

JM punched a classmate in 7th grade and had a hard time/dark decline that year, though the school and others tried to help him. He seemed to come out of it in high school, though he got overzealous at times while wrestling and the coach had to pull him off.

Bingo!

I am very intrigued by the idea that the 2002 rape allegations and the subsequent fizzle of the anticipated football career played into his development into a sadistic predator.

JM strikes me not as having some sociopathic/narcissistic qualities.

Instead I see him as someone who always deeply wanted approval and to fit in and always seemed to come up short with attempts to win those things.

Now that he is somebody he feels like everything should fall into place and yet he is still not able to assimilate. Still square peg round hole.

After the rape accusation in 02 "ruined" his life, his aspired career, brought shame upon him and his family I feel he began to resent women and their seeming power over him. How dare they walk around looking all cute, making him notice them, making him want them. They had to know what they were doing, they were cruel and held all the power. Unfair. Flag on the play.

HE was the powerful one and they would soon learn to respect that power. That is what they get for making him feel stupid, inadequate and emasculated. He knows how to assert his power and he is happy to show it.

As I am reading it, you are very much describing how someone with severe and malignant Narcissistic Personality Disorder might react in this scenario. Specifically, you seem to be describing someone with an intense and all-encompassing need for validation and power, who reacts with what some call a "narcissistic rage" when shamed or humiliated. Also, there is an implied lack of empathy or remorse when you speak of him as someone who sees as need to "assert his power" over others, and how others will soon learn to respect his power.

Source: I'm a forensic psychologist.

It seems like with some of these type of serial killers (assuming JM is guilty) that there is a catalyst some defining moment of rejection, punishment, or failure that causes hypersensitive to acceptance/rejection/rage/sadistic behavior leading to murder. You're right, this is most likely exactly what set this JLM off. jmo

I'm not sure what leads me to believe as I do, but I shall briefly share my thoughts. JLM is a BIG guy and probably has always been big for his age and perhaps a bit clumsy. During his childhood (as I understand) he spent a great deal of time under the guidance of his grandmother. JLM may have had many unintentional accidents while growing up due to his clumsiness and was probably chastised, perhaps harshly, and was made to clean up any messes he made. As time went on and to avoid being harshly chastised he began to cover up his messes (rather than clean them up) whatever they were and wherever they were to avoid detection and punishment. That alone may be reason enough for him to murder those he raped, in order to avoid the wrath he was so used to. JMO and thoughts.

I believe there is much more we need to learn about the head injury/violence relationship-I have read studies citing a very high incidence of frontal lobe head injury present in violent offenders. I also feel JLM is extremely impulsive-not a cunning stealthy hunter like a Ted Bundy.I read a few accounts of his behavior the evening of Hannah's disappearance -he was behaving in a very public,attention getting,obnoxious way inconsistent with someone planning on committing a crime, he saw HG alone in her state(lost at least,maybe impaired)) and he took advantage of her,maybe he didn't snag her with the intention of murder but he obviously was prepared to kill.

Being barely able to read after 2 years of college, and having to drive a cab would make anyone feel betrayed.
It must be especially difficult when a former classmate is your fare. I read where one friend bragged that he gave LJ a big tip.

As I am reading it, you are very much describing how someone with severe and malignant Narcissistic Personality Disorder might react in this scenario. Specifically, you seem to be describing someone with an intense and all-encompassing need for validation and power, who reacts with what some call a "narcissistic rage" when shamed or humiliated. Also, there is an implied lack of empathy or remorse when you speak of him as someone who sees as need to "assert his power" over others, and how others will soon learn to respect his power.

Last week, I posted a link to an article about the characteristics of a narcissistic sociopath. It really seemed to fit what we know about this person. But I don't know if that is an actual diagnosis in the DSM V. Would love to have your insight.

Being barely able to read after 2 years of college, and having to drive a cab would make anyone feel betrayed.
It must be especially difficult when a former classmate is your fare. I read where one friend bragged that he gave LJ a big tip.

Not directed at you, but I have very little sympathy for him feeling "betrayed" by anyone after the fact he still barely knew how to read after 2 years of college (if that's true- I don't know. I only know he was described as slow in school in hs). I also have little sympathy for him feeling betrayed b/c he ended up driving a cab. Seems to me it was of his own doing.

He could have probably gone on to be a great football success. He could have worked harder in classes at LU... or at his second chance- CNU. He made his own choices. It appears he was busy raping people. Even when given a second chance.

Yes, I do believe that he betrayed himself.

Then I am not explaining my thoughts well. That is my bad. I am describing someone who for whatever reason, never felt accepted, a part. I am not describing someone to whom others do not factor as quite as "real" as themselves. If anything, I am describing a person who does not feel as "real" as seen as others and who desperately want to be so. I am describing someone who is not at all mentally ill or diminished in teh legal sense of the term. I am describing someone who decided to be who he wanted to be through some sick fantasy, not because he could not view his victims as humans, but because he COULD, and that fed his need. He found his way to exert control and feel visible and worthy of notice.

Not at all legally insane. But malformed. I do not pretend to know why. But I do not feel he is malformed in the narcissist/sociopathic, others are not as "real" as me, I am a charmer, it is all about me, I am due this, it is my right, sort.

That is my view of that personaily type. And he don't fit it. Sorry. Makes him no less a danger or a monster or a threat. JMO

Not directed at you, but I have very little sympathy for him feeling "betrayed" by anyone after the fact he still barely knew how to read after 2 years of college (if that's true- I don't know. I only know he was described as slow in school in hs). I also have little sympathy for him feeling betrayed b/c he ended up driving a cab. Seems to me it was of his own doing.

He could have probably gone on to be a great football success. He could have worked harder in classes at LU... or at his second chance- CNU. He made his own choices. It appears he was busy raping people. Even when given a second chance.

Yes, I do believe that he betrayed himself.

Because mere thanks aren't enough. Exactly how I feel. As someone who's spent a lot of time and effort in therapy overcoming childhood traumas and in that process swallowing a lot of pride in facing my own negative character traits, I have little sympathy for people who don't help themselves.

I have a hard time with this line of thought. To say that the 2002 incident pushed him over some sort of edge doesn't compute for me.
He was already a rapist. Whatever is "wrong" with him was already wrong with him.

I am very intrigued by the idea that the 2002 rape allegations and the subsequent fizzle of the anticipated football career played into his development into a sadistic predator.

JM strikes me not as having some sociopathic/narcissistic qualities.

Instead I see him as someone who always deeply wanted approval and to fit in and always seemed to come up short with attempts to win those things. Then when he exhibits some prowess with athletics, he seems to feel he has gained a measure of acceptance. He finds his "role", his way of being perceived. But in other aspects of his life I am betting the awkward, not sure how to chat up girls or carry himself in general portion of his personality became even more frustrated. Now that he is somebody he feels like everything should fall into place and yet he is still not able to assimilate. Still square peg round hole.

After the rape accusation in 02 "ruined" his life, his aspired career, brought shame upon him and his family I feel he began to resent women and their seeming power over him. How dare they walk around looking all cute, making him notice them, making him want them. They had to know what they were doing, they were cruel and held all the power. Unfair. Flag on the play. HE was the powerful one and they would soon learn to respect that power. That is what they get for making him feel stupid, inadequate and emasculated. He knows how to assert his power and he is happy to show it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back