JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JM held down a job, had roommates, coached football, and went about his daily life as a "gentle giant". Amazing that a person can commit such horrific crimes and hide in plain sight.

Just like Gary Ridgeway who worked at the same truck plant for 35 years iirc.

I should have listened to the seasoned sleuthers here. This is all over the news by me: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09...alifornia-accused-of-sex-crimes-against-kids/

"In his hometown of Bay Shore, Long Island, the captain’s next-door neighbor, Bill Smith, said he was “shocked” to hear the accusations.
“He lives with his mom. He takes care of her,” Smith told Xirinachs. “And he’s always friendly. Waves to everybody. … After Sandy, he was asking everybody if they were OK.”"

Friendly, caring, helpful. Traits to hide behind. I suppose I guess I should always look at people like this as having a motive...? It's a scary world if you can't even trust "nice" people. :sad:

That really shouldn't surprise any of us.

This is usually the way they operate. The more they get away with.........the more they do. They begin to think they are untouchable and that is when they usually make a mistake.

Thank God, he finally made his.

I don't nec think he made a mistake. I think we cannot underestimate the importance of surveillance cameras in this case. The cameras on the mall were the starting point. Better than eye witness accounts. Without the cameras, I dont know that this case would be where it is right now.

Wait, Matthew drove the guy to the hospital? That's scary. I think that lawyer is lucky to be alive. Matthew was probably thinking of a way to get rid of him during the ride to the hospital.

MOO. I think that that action alone (driving his victim to the hospital) speaks volumes. Perhaps his being employed in the health care field is no accident; he feels that his job and his good works atone for the other half of him, the evil side.

I think he did. I think he took great pleasure beating them to death.

Brutal rapes had become boring to him. IMO

He wanted even more power and control over his victims.

IMO

100% agree - the level of violence doesn't fit simple "rejection" - the woman in Fairfax had no opportunity to "reject" him - he grabbed her from behind, dragged her away, and beat and choked her with no provocation. I suspect the "passerby" in Fairfax led him to take his subsequent victims far away from danger of being caught.

I think the beating of the Fairfax woman, MH's broken bones, suggest a more psychological explanation - beating and degrading them either because he simply enjoyed hurting them, or he was punishing them for every other rejection and failure he felt in his life.

The notion of the the women "rejecting" him leading to the attacks sounds too much like victim-blaming, but maybe that's just me being oversensitive.

Frontal lobe head injuries can cause a loss of moral turpitude, judgment and self-control - and changes in behavior. It would take a lot of intimate knowledge of his family, friends, social life to know if there was a dramatic change in JLM's behavior.

In general, our culture seems to have suffered a frontal lobe injury too. Every time I infrequently watch TV, they have stepped up the game in graphic depictions of s ex and violence. Even the ads.

I don't think someone with a serious head injury would be able to cover up who they really are. Imo, he was very good at manipulation and that is why his family thought he was nothing more than a gentle giant.

Many of these killers are very good at deceiving others. They wear their mask and only let others see what they want them to see.

The only ones who saw the real JM were his victims, IMO.

IMO

I think his mother works in the hospital.

Being a cab driver is dangerous work, especially working at night like he seems to have done.

His family may have been worried about him.

Where I live, many cab drivers can get no other job.

They can be the victims of violence.

Working at the hospital has better benefits and conditions.

I will never ever ride in a cab again in my home town. If alone out of town, I don't know what I would do.

For my job ( now retired), I rode,in cabs with families I worked with. Looking for child care. Going to the doctor. ThAt kind of thing.

I knew some of the cabbies because I had them as parents of children in my classroom .

Consequently, I knew their criminal histories even though they did not know I knew them. The newspaper prints arrests.

Horrors!!!

CBS19 UPDATED: A fundraiser set up to raise money for Jesse Leroy Matthew's legal defense was disabled Monday afternoon, partly due people posting threats to the site. http://bit.ly/1vpmXg9

I don't think someone with a serious head injury would be able to cover up who they really are. Imo, he was very good at manipulation and that is why his family thought he was nothing more than a gentle giant.

Many of these killers are very good at deceiving others. They wear their mask and only let others see what they want them to see.

The only ones who saw the real JM were his victims, IMO.

IMO

When in high school,he had lots of success.

Do you think as an athlete that he had a lot of girls and did things back then?

What about his first years in college?

He just didn't start being a monster on his first reported rape, did he?

This is just crazy. The cajones on this guy are just unreal. To have basically gotten away with several unspeakable crimes and then to not be able to stop yourself from "just one more" in the middle of a crowded, surveilled part of a college town? Pretty unbelievable, and gives insight into how these people think (or don't think). Zero impulse control or regard for human life.

Unbelievable. Those poor families.

I think it's not uncommon, though I'd love someone with insight to contribute.

I imagine it's bragging rights. The boldness of his acts, bolder each time. And no one can catch him.

When in high school,he had lots of success.

Do you think as an athlete that he had a lot of girls and did things back then?

What about his first years in college?

He just didn't start being a monster on his first reported rape, did he?

There's been some discussion somewhere that he probably had girls falling all over him in high school. And, as the football star, Charlottesville Athelete of the Year, he craved, then needed - then demanded - the attention.

2002 was probably a breaking point for him. His first (?) real rejection. (IN HIS MIND) She could ruin his education, his career, his future, his life. And, worse, she didn't even want him.

I don't think JM was remorseful at all; I think he wanted to protect his job and not go to jail, particularly since he had already committed at least one brutal rape with DNA evidence on file...

Loss of control - the tumultuous swing between violence and contriteness. It was when I read the article about the altercation Matthew had with the Charlottesville lawyer in 2009 (see quote below) - the anger and swift act of violence (the pendulum swings) followed by complete remorse. In my mind......2 people lived in Jesse Matthew's head and this is why some saw the "teddy bear" and others saw the monster.

per http://wvtf.org/post/charlottesville-journalist-sheds-light-jesse-matthew

"Wilke contends that no sooner had the violence ended that his aggressor suddenly became contrite and remorseful. And Matthew returned the phone and drove him to the hospital, where, Wilke says, he received two stitches to close a cut on the inside of his lip.

Matthew allegedly told Wilke that he had been feeling angry about getting stiffed by two fares that night and that he was sorry for what he'd done."

JM held down a job, had roommates, coached football, and went about his daily life as a "gentle giant". Amazing that a person can commit such horrific crimes and hide in plain sight.

Two words: Israel. Keyes.

Probably many others too :(.

was it here someone was wondering about

DBA JESSE L MATTHEW JR
CLAIM THIS BUSINESS

2480 PONDEROSA TRL CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA 22903
Founded 2010
Incorporated
Annual Revenue --
Employee Count 0
Industries Nonclassifiable Establishments
Contacts
http://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/dbajesselmatthewjr-charlottesville-va-9719412.html

I wonder what his business was?
Yes! I've been curious about it since I first came across it. Couldn't find it on the state corporation commission website.

City of Cville requires a business license, but I couldn't find a way to search online. Anyone local that could stop in??

I hope they've checked out the property in Keswick. He lived there while driving taxi, it appears, (by looking at court records,) and the house is now vacant sitting on about 2.5 to 3 acres of land and for sale with photos.

When JM saw HG and immediately changed direction to follow her I think he may have had intentions of flirting with her and trying to get her to to engage sexually with him, but he may not at the outset intended on committing a crime ending in murder. He allowed himself to be seen with HG by many people because he wasn't initially intending on harming her. I think he is the type of offender that 'snaps'. Rape is more about power and control than it is about sex. He got enraged.

Don't agree. I think when that text was sent about her being lost, that was him doing it, already planning out his alibi. Then he would have had to break the IPhone5S to keep it from pinging any other locations but the mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member