John List, Notorious AMW Fugitive, Dead

He claimed they were bad off financially and I belive they were in dire straits financially. At the end of the program I watched on them they said the ceiling in the ballroom of their home was Tiffany glass, he he known and sold it they would have been on easy street.

Yep - a signed Tiffany even. He could have been set for life in a different way.

http://amw.com/features/feature_story_detail.cfm?id=2613

3/24/2008
When cops saw List, they were shocked. He looked exactly like Frank Bender's bust -- right down to the glasses
View LargerJohn Emil List's capture is one of the most amazing stories in the history of America's Most Wanted. He made headlines in 1971 when he brutally and methodically murdered five of his family members; he earned notoriety during his 18-year run from the law following the terrifying killing spree. But while List's run ended on June 1, 1989 as a direct result of AMW, his story truly came to an ultimate end on Friday, when he died while serving out his sentence.

List died at 2:30 p.m. Friday

Oh words cannot express

Unflipping believable philamena.....
He was a monster.

cheko1! Where have you been? I've missed seeing you. :blowkiss:
He was a monster of the worst kind.
He premeditated his entire families murders and then up and left....completely started over.:furious:

Good!!
After he slaughtered his family, he moved only a few streets over from my parent's friends. They never knew what a monster he was.

OMG. One of those "quiet" neighbors?

I truly don't believe he felt remorse at all for what he did.

http://amw.com/features/feature_story_detail.cfm?id=2613

3/24/2008
When cops saw List, they were shocked. He looked exactly like Frank Bender's bust -- right down to the glasses
View LargerJohn Emil List's capture is one of the most amazing stories in the history of America's Most Wanted. He made headlines in 1971 when he brutally and methodically murdered five of his family members; he earned notoriety during his 18-year run from the law following the terrifying killing spree. But while List's run ended on June 1, 1989 as a direct result of AMW, his story truly came to an ultimate end on Friday, when he died while serving out his sentence.

List died at 2:30 p.m. Friday
Another soul in hell I am sure.

OMG. One of those "quiet" neighbors?

I truly don't believe he felt remorse at all for what he did.

Hi Texana,
Yes! One of those quiet neighbors.
I don't think he felt a bit of remorse either.

He got a hell of lot longer on this earth than his poor family did. Anyone who would justifty killing their entire family by saying he could as for forgiveness and go to heaven doesn't just have a few screws loose, he has the entire Lowe's inventory losse. Bye, bye John. Can't say you'll be missed.

Good!!
After he slaughtered his family, he moved only a few streets over from my parent's friends. They never knew what a monster he was.

Wow philamena!! :eek:

I agree with the others that said he wasn't remorseful. I don't think he really ever looked back on what he did to his family. :furious:

I saw the movie and Robert Blake played him. That made this whole case even more creepy for me. :eek:

Good riddence to bad rubbish! I'm just sorry he died of natural causes. I was thinking more of a death for him ala Jeffery Dahmer. He's doing some fast talkin' now I bet!;)

I saw the movie and Robert Blake played him. That made this whole case even more creepy for me. :eek:

Do you remember the name of the movie? I don't recall ever hearing about a movie based on the List murders. With Robert Blake yet, yes...very creepy!

Do you remember the name of the movie? I don't recall ever hearing about a movie based on the List murders. With Robert Blake yet, yes...very creepy!

It was a made for TV movie entitled "Judgement Day: The John List Story" it was made in 1993.

ETA: the play the movie on lifetime every now and again.

It was a made for TV movie entitled "Judgement Day: The John List Story" it was made in 1993.

ETA: the play the movie on lifetime every now and again.

Thanks-I have to keep my eye out for it. I don't know how I missed it because I tend to gravitate towards true crime stories.

Wow philamena!! :eek:

I agree with the others that said he wasn't remorseful. I don't think he really ever looked back on what he did to his family. :furious:

Hi NewMom.
Robert Blake played List so well. You're right, for some reason Blake's portrayal of List made the entire thing creepier.

There is a place in hell for John List. What an evil man. A&E did a full profile on this guy and the murders, and he was not the least remorseful at all. After he killed his wife and mother as they lay in the other room, he sat down at his kitchen table, turned on classical music and ate breakfast. He then waited for all the kids to get home from school and killed them.

He was 89? Really? For some reason I was thinking he was maybe in his 70's. That wouldn't make sense though.

He was born in September, 1925, that makes him 82. The article has been corrected. I remember reading a book about the case, in '71 he was in his mid-40's but looked much older. He had bought a palatial home at the urging of his wife but couldn't afford it. His kids were normal but List, his mother, and his wife were weird. He was morbidly rigid in morals, pathologically conservative (he wore a suit even when mowing his lawn), completely out of place in the 20th century, I mean even Mennonites would have thought him backwards.

His wife was heavily dependent on sedatives and sleeping pills and not of much use while his mother was the ultimate nag. A nightmarish atmosphere for the kids, his daughter was basically responsible for keeping house, cooking meals, shopping for groceries, tending to both her parents and her younger brothers, all the while attending school and taking acting lessons if I recall well.

List was definitely a psychopath of the religious delusional variety but didn't see himself that way which made him very dangerous.

He was born in September, 1925, that makes him 82. The article has been corrected. I remember reading a book about the case, in '71 he was in his mid-40's but looked much older. He had bought a palatial home at the urging of his wife but couldn't afford it. His kids were normal but List, his mother, and his wife were weird. He was morbidly rigid in morals, pathologically conservative (he wore a suit even when mowing his lawn), completely out of place in the 20th century, I mean even Mennonites would have thought him backwards.

His wife was heavily dependent on sedatives and sleeping pills and not of much use while his mother was the ultimate nag. A nightmarish atmosphere for the kids, his daughter was basically responsible for keeping house, cooking meals, shopping for groceries, tending to both her parents and her younger brothers, all the while attending school and taking acting lessons if I recall well.

List was definitely a psychopath of the religious delusional variety but didn't see himself that way which made him very dangerous.

Yrs ago I read a book about him. His wife wasnt much good, Im sorry but that was how it came across.
She had horrible headaches and was found out she had syphyllis which horrified him.
His Mother moved in with them and the wife and Mum didnt get along.
From what I remember, it seems like his Mother was the one who made him so WEIRD. He had a weird childhood.
He bought he huge house because his wife wanted it and couldnt really afford it. And it was later burned down....yes, they did find out the Tiffay chandalier was worth a ton of money!!

Yrs ago I read a book about him. His wife wasnt much good, Im sorry but that was how it came across.
She had horrible headaches and was found out she had syphyllis which horrified him.
His Mother moved in with them and the wife and Mum didnt get along.
From what I remember, it seems like his Mother was the one who made him so WEIRD. He had a weird childhood.
He bought he huge house because his wife wanted it and couldnt really afford it. And it was later burned down....yes, they did find out the Tiffay chandalier was worth a ton of money!!
Not that I am excusing his actions but I did here he had an odd life which probably led to him being mentally ill. HIs wife basically tricked him into marriage claiming she was pregnant and at the time supposedly had syphliss(sp) from her first marriage. He was in a loveless marriage with a very ill wife. Supposedly due to the syphliss she was mentally ill as well and was deteriorating fast.

In his confession he worries for their future as he lost his job. As strange as he was, people will still hire someone with a masters degree in finance. He was just a poison human being that wanted to justify his actions...get a fresh start. I hope he was treated in prison as this type of a killer should be. I hope his final years were as miserable as the man he was.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Ed
Back