Judge Orders White People Out Of His Court

I agree with you. But, on the other hand if this had been a white judge that had asked black lawyers to leave everyone would be screaming discrimination!

Probably, but this line of thought only feeds the cycle. I know it's not necessarily your own thought, so I am not saying YOU are continuing the cycle...just sayin'.....

Apparently the judge himself thinks it was a mistake...

Judge Says Kicking White Lawyers Out of Court to Lecture Black Defendants a 'Mistake'

"In retrospect, Arrington says segregating the courtroom for those few minutes was a mistake and that when he lectures those in his courtroom this Thursday, he will invite everyone to listen."
yeah he said that in the first article.
Arrington added that he may make a similar speech next week, but this time he'll allow everyone to hear it
my argument was that it did not make the judge racist and it is not a big deal.

This very interesting story gives some good-followup regarding where Judge Arrington was coming from:

Judge who lectured blacks was a ''

By GRACIE BONDS STAPLES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/24/08
Judge Marvin Arrington had seen and heard enough.
The parade of black men and women — criminals and mothers of criminals — he saw every day frustrated him.
Zachary D. Porter/Daily Report/
What he did to address it, some observers say, was classic Arrington. Others say it was arrogance.
"You guys are destroying your lives," he admonished — after asking the few whites present to leave his Atlanta courtroom. "Black people, please, turn your life around."
The scolding quickly became national news earlier this month. Arrington's "fireside chat," as he later called it, was being compared to the more public criticism first voiced four years ago by actor Bill Cosby, who criticized some African-American families for not raising their kids right, slammed black youth for wearing their clothes backward and berated them for failing to master the queen's English.
Their messages were so similar that the judge and the comedian agreed to combine forces for a presentation Thursday evening at Benjamin E. Mays High School in Atlanta.
The ticketed event, which is not open to the public, is for foundering youths recommended by school systems and juvenile courts. Parent are encouraged to attend with them.
Cosby and Arrington hope to convince them that they can improve their situations instead of being resigned to them.
Arrington should know.

(more at link)

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/23/arrington_0424.html?imw=Y

Thanks for the update, SCM. Another "Cosby Crusade" eh? Hopefully he don't rant about African naming traditions and give the Poundcake Speech as it's now known. Hey, if just one youth can be helped by the Judge and Cosby then it will be worth it.

Thanks for the update, SCM. Another "Cosby Crusade" eh? Hopefully he don't rant about African naming traditions and give the Poundcake Speech as it's now known. Hey, if just one youth can be helped by the Judge and Cosby then it will be worth it.

I thought it was interesting. I have always liked this Judge byt was not aware of his background. But I agree with you - if one young person "hears" then it is worth it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starrynight8974
Back