Judges double Oscar Pistorius' sentence to 13 years, 5 months - 24. Nov. 2017

Pistorious has, in fact served more than half his sentence, he is quite within his rights, so to speak,,to apply for parole.. He didn't get it, according to all the South African news because he didn't meet the criteria.. the criteria of serving half and more of his sentence was met, but something else was considered not quite right at this time.
^^rsbm

Given the clarification order about OP not serving a minimum detention period was actually provided by the Supreme Court of Appeal on 28 March 2023, I disagree. He will have to stay in prison at least another 16 months. This has nothing to do with BBC and who directs/runs it.

31 March 2023

[..]

He was originally sentenced to 13 years and five months imprisonment.

A spokesperson for South Africa’s Correctional Services, Singabakho Nxumalo, told CNN that Pistorius’ submission for parole was not granted because he was not yet eligible – an issue clarified by the country’s top appeals court earlier this week.

“The parole board has granted Mr. Pistorius a further profile for August 2024 and the reason behind that is that Mr. Pistorius is yet to serve a minimum detention period as per the clarification order provided by the Supreme Court of Appeal, which was only provided to the department on the 28th of March 2023,” Nxumalo said.

Pistorius must now continue to serve his sentence until a new parole hearing in August 2024.

[..]

Pistorius was convicted of manslaughter in 2014 and sentenced to five years. But a higher court overturned the conviction and changed it to murder a year later, increasing his sentence to six years in prison.

The ruling was appealed by prosecutors who claimed the sentence was too lenient. Pistorius’ sentence was increased to 13 years and five months by South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal in 2017.

Steenkamps withdraw Oscar’s forgiveness on 10th anniversary of Reeva’s murder.

To commemorate the occasion, her parents will return to Pollok Beach, in Gqeberha, where they scattered her ashes to remember her legacy and bid farewell to long-time family friend, Jenny Strydom.

I'll never forget this case. It was what brought me to Websleuths. I'm hoping he has to serve out his full sentence.

Reeva Steenkamp’s parents still grieving, 10 years on
Thinking I discovered Websleuths re Gerard Baden-Clay case, and then Pistorius?? I recall Pistorius blubbering his way through the trial (was disgusting), and is still Wailing. Seems it’s his “go to”for sympathy. I believe he should indeed serve the full sentence.
Same Hag I was drawn in via AlListon Baden Clay, Pistorius (Gable Tostee/Gitanny)..to name a few. Not that I have a legal brain in my body it staggers me how this trial unfolded.

Agreed. Also, Masipa interpreted dolus eventualis to mean that Oscar didn't intend to kill Reeva specifically, therefore he was innocent of murder. But according to that law it doesn't matter if Oscar mistakenly believed that an intruder was in the bathroom, he intended to kill whoever was in the bathroom. Which is exactly what dolus eventualis means and by firing not one but four shots into the toilet door he clearly understood that it would likely kill any human being, period. Masipa also made some other fundamental errors. I remember being shocked at her mistakes - most of us here caught them immediately.

I still don't know why she was so lenient for Oscar. She had a reputation of being hard-nosed, especially when it came to crimes against women. And FWIW, I believe this was a case of intentional murder of Reeva after the two had a fight. Judge Masipa chose to overlook some witness statements and maybe (IMO only) she was a little flummoxed with all those statements and simply got overwhelmed. Or maybe she believed Oscar's snot-riddled lies.

And Reeva's parents went to visit Oscar in hopes that he would tell them the truth:

During an interview with ITV's Good Morning Britain this week, Reeva's parents, Barry and June Steenkamp, revealed they visited Pistorius in prison.

The grieving couple said they hoped Pistorius would shine additional light on what actually transpired when he shot Reeva in his South Africa home on Feb. 14, 2013. They did not get the answer they sought, according to CNN.

"All June and I wanted to know was the truth, what we feel was the truth: that he actually killed her because of anger," Barry told GMB.
Didn’t Nell ask Oscar why he didn’t let off warning shots in the bathroom prior…..probably the hollow points would have killed him ??

Barry Steenkamp celebrated his 80th birthday last May.

In August, he and June marked what would have been Reeva's 40th birthday with a cake featuring a black and white photograph of her. (Photo in article)

Barry died peacefully in his sleep in the early evening of 14 September.

Barry Steenkamp celebrated his 80th birthday last May.

In August, he and June marked what would have been Reeva's 40th birthday with a cake featuring a black and white photograph of her. (Photo in article)

Barry died peacefully in his sleep in the early evening of 14 September.

From the quoted link:

Lovely photo -- I imagine Barry greeting Reeva with this happy smile!

1696083694982.jpeg

1700552446747.png

11/21/23

The Supreme Court of Appeal eventually ruled in 2017 that Pistorius should serve South Africa's minimum sentence of 15 years for murder, but took into account the year and seven months he had already served for culpable homicide when it delivered the 13 years and five months sentence.

However, the court made an error by not counting another period Pistorius had served while his murder sentence was being appealed, meaning he was in fact eligible for parole in March when he was told at his first hearing that he would only be eligible in August 2024.

Pistorius' lawyers took his case to the country's apex Constitutional Court. The decision to give Pistorius another parole hearing on Friday is effectively an admission of the appeal court's error, it was reported.

Double-amputee Olympic runner Oscar Pistoriuswas granted parole on Friday, 10 years after shooting his girlfriend through a toilet door at his home in South Africa in a killing that jolted the world.
Department of Corrections spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo said Pistorius would be released from prison on January 5, 2024.
His parole will come with conditions, including that he not leave the area of Pretoria where he is set to live without permission from authorities.

I wonder if he finally feels remorse. It seems like his focus all these years has been on getting released from prison, not much time left to contemplate his murdering the woman who loved him.

Cold, stone-hearted man.
JMO

Im just glad her father isnt here to see this
Her poor brokenhearted father. Mrs Steenkamp, left to suffer alone, a dreadful tragic life for those two people. Remorse, as far as I can tell, has not happened, oh he 'apologised', he cried, more crying, but he still maintains it was a completely unpreventable accident. Mrs Steenkamp saw right thru him. Those flesh tearing bullets he loaded tell another story.

I was surprised that the SA Govt went along with this parole, I did not think they would even contemplate it, the public optics of it , allowing him to actually strut on out, even being confined to Pretoria, ( quite the punishment, on one level ) seems a bit paltry to me. ..

Reeva Steenkamp. R.I.P.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back