Junior Seau Dead at 43

there was a presser......i watched on tmz

was your post before it because i can't remember the time it was
When was this? I've only seen a short statement made at the scene by the chief of police.

When former Bears great Dave Duerson shot himself fatally in the chest, he left a note asking for examination of his brain during autopsy to document injuries received playing years of football - and they were found, and quite probably contributed to his depression and other symptoms which drove him to kill himself. If Junior Seau indeed shot himself in the chest, many will believe, whether he left a note or not, that he suffered the same symptoms as Duerson - Seau's well-documented plunge off a cliff in his vehicle following a 2010 incident and subsequent arrest following an encounter with his girlfriend, he said at the time, was a result of his having fallen asleep at the wheel; but many viewed this as a suicide attempt and a cry for help - and he accordingly chose his target for the same reason, so as not to destroy the brain but to leave it for examination.

Great post and I absolutely agree. How sad for all his loved ones.

I wonder why they are so quick to say they're investigating it as a suicide? Apparently, there was no note left. And, isn't it unusual for one to shoot themselves in the chest in order to kill themselves? In any event, he will be missed in these parts. He lived not far from me and I used to see him at New Venture Christian Fellowship. He did a lot of charity work. His poor family. :(

I wonder why they are so quick to say they're investigating it as a suicide? Apparently, there was no note left. And, isn't it unusual for one to shoot themselves in the chest in order to kill themselves? In any event, he will be missed in these parts. He lived not far from me and I used to see him at New Venture Christian Fellowship. He did a lot of charity work. His poor family. :(

THere must be a couple threads going on here - ughh! I, too, wonder why LE is so quick to say suicide? No note, and shooting one self in the chest is not the most common form of suicide :( He loved his children, and all children in San Diego -- I'm still shaking my head.

I do need more details before I'll be convinced Jr. took his own life. I sure hope LE keeps everyone out of the house, because the amount of people I saw at the scene sure made me uncomfortable.

MOO of course.

Mel

THere must be a couple threads going on here - ughh! I, too, wonder why LE is so quick to say suicide? No note, and shooting one self in the chest is not the most common form of suicide :( He loved his children, and all children in San Diego -- I'm still shaking my head.

I do need more details before I'll be convinced Jr. took his own life. I sure hope LE keeps everyone out of the house, because the amount of people I saw at the scene sure made me uncomfortable.

MOO of course.

Mel

I thought about you when I saw this sad thread because I know my family in that area LOVED JS. He was a hometown hero who loved his community. So tragic, all around. :rose:

from link:

Seau is now the eighth member of the 1994 Chargers Super Bowl team that has died, all before the age of 45.

Was there some performance enhancing substance used by these eight that would have a long term effect?
---
Linebacker David Griggs died in 1995 after his car slid off an expressway and hit a large sign pole. He was 28 years old at the time.

Running back Rodney Culver died in a plane crash on May 11, 1996. The crash of ValuJet Flight 592 killed all 110 people aboard, including Culver's wife.

Linebacker Doug Miller died in 1998 as the result of a lightning strike at the age of 28.

Center Curtis Whitley died on May 11, 2008 as the result of an overdose and was found in his trailer home in West Texas.

Defensive end Chris Mims died of an enlarged heart on Oct. 15, 2008.

Defensive tackle Shawn Lee died from cardiac arrest on Feb. 26, 2011.

Former Chargers linebacker Lew Bush died of a heart attack on Dec. 8, 2011.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...an-diego-chargers-1994-super-bowl-xxix-deaths

I hope this can continue, it is a great legacy.

In 1992, Seau created the Junior Seau Foundation with the mission to educate and empower young people through the support of child abuse prevention, drug and alcohol awareness, recreational opportunities, anti-juvenile delinquency efforts and complimentary educational programs.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Seau"]Junior Seau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The following 3 could be removed from the list but it is still possible with the others that there was a substance used. IMHO

Linebacker David Griggs died in 1995 after his car slid off an expressway and hit a large sign pole. He was 28 years old at the time.

Running back Rodney Culver died in a plane crash on May 11, 1996. The crash of ValuJet Flight 592 killed all 110 people aboard, including Culver's wife.

Linebacker Doug Miller died in 1998 as the result of a lightning strike at the age of 28.

The following 3 could be removed from the list but it is still possible with the others that there was a substance used. IMHO

Could possibly leave the first one on the list too.

The life expectancy of a professional football player who has played five or more years professionally, is 52. This is probably due to a number of factors - drug abuse, including steroid use; the tendency for large men to let themselves go - to overeat and to avoid exercise - after years of training camps and games; and the debilitating effect of head injuries sustained during playing those games.

Oh dear, I just saw his mom on TV...it is heartbreaking, now I am crying...oh my...

I watch the news online after I heard the news. Junior's mom all I can say what an incredible woman. She spoke to the media without even be asked to. Asking God to take her instead. And how she had no clue why? A very strong woman in my eyes even asking the fans to celebrate Junior or something to that extent. And than asking God to take her again,

How sad. I wonder if they'll be able to examine his brain?

My Dh remembers him as an outstanding FB player, and a dedicated member of every community he ever went.

12 consecutive Pro Bowls, 6 as a starter.

Won the NFL Man of the year in 1994 the most respected award amongst his peers.

His mom brought me to tears. God Bless her and keep her!

My deepest sympathy goes out to Junior Seau's family, friends and all other loved ones during this extremely difficult time.

This is too common nowadays. Read at link about Shane Dronett's (ex-lineman for the Atlanta Falcons) suicide in 2009. Tragic.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/01/brain.concussion.dronett/index.html

Scientists at the Boston University School of Medicine's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy tested Shane's brain tissue and confirmed that before he died he was suffering with a brain disease -- chronic traumatic encephalopathy -- that seems to afflict football players.

With Junior Seau death, NFL could be reaching tipping point (mercurynews.com)
As news of Junior Seau's apparent suicide spread Wednesday, one question crystalized on social media:

Is this another Dave Duerson?

Seau, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the chest. It's the same way Duerson, a former Chicago Bear, took his life early last year. Duerson left a note stating that he shot himself in the chest so his brain could be studied to determine the cause of his deteriorating mental state.

Researchers determined that Duerson suffered from an impact-induced disease called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy -- a condition that autopsies have shown afflicted about two dozen former NFL players.

It's unknown if football had anything to do with Seau's death. But the fact that people quickly drew a possible connection between his death and football violence demonstrates that the NFL's concussion crisis may have reached a tipping point.
---
more at link above

Also see: Justified or not, Seau's death puts football under question again (sportsillustrated.com)

How said for JS and his family. Two dozen players suffering from the same problem does sound bad and that's the ones they know of so far I guess.

Maybe I misunderstood as I was getting ready for work while listening to the news, but wasn't his girlfriend with him at the time of his death? I think she's the one that called 911 so maybe she gave LE information that led them to believe it was a suicide.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back