Jury in Washington State Finds In Favor of Susan Powells Parents.

Yet $98 million or otherwise doesn’t bring back those two boys and will never ease their pain and loss. Josh Powell was an evil monster like his dad.
May they find some peace eventually. Bless them! The only bonus is those boys will never suffer at their family’s hands again. IMO

I agree- money can’t bring them back but it’s really the only thing (besides system change) that can help the family find the tools and resources to try to do ANYTHING... just unimaginable horror this family has gone through, can’t imagine they daily life of one that has endured so much.

Finally a victory and a small bit of good news for Mr. and Mrs. Cox.

Many of us here at Websleuths could see the danger Susan's boys were in every Sunday, but yet the powers that be could not. Bah

Hurrah for the jury.

I admire Mr. Cox so much. Somehow he finds the strength to put one foot in front of the other everyday.

I hope Susan is found someday--more than words can say.

Hey Everyone

Susan's parents were awarded 57 million dollars in their case against the state of Washington. Her parents claim the state was negligent in the deaths of their grandkids

Jury finds state DSHS negligent in violent deaths of Susan Powell's son
This is some good news for the family but I'm sure they would much rather have the kids alive and safe. At the very least maybe some good will come out of this lawsuit and child protective services will start doing their jobs more thoroughly and thoughtfully in other states too. I know here in Michigan it's a crapshoot on what, if anything CPS will do with a concerned parent or family members' report. It just makes me so sad though to think that not only did the poor mother lose her life, but that the family now has lost her AND the babies and can't even lay them all to rest since that monster never said where he put her.

WOW! That's an incredible amount of money.
Thank goodness Susan's family finally won at something.
It will never replace Susan and the boys or heal their pain but justice was long overdue for this family.
Maybe they can hire some search teams to go find Susan now.

Where are you Susan?

Rather than a search, maybe respite homes and expert legal & mental health support for women escaping spousal abuse???

Maybe with specific support & more options, Susan would leave & we never would have heard her name....

NOT victim or family-blaming, just would like to see more options for anyone in Susan's situation.

JMHO

I've kept a Case Archive for more than 10 years now, with many sub-sections (like Searches, Legal matters, Josh's father, etc) and the newest sub-section has everything after the 10-year mark because it's easier than sifting through many.

After all these years, the SCP archives don't get much notice, but here is the link to the
10 Years and Beyond:
10 Years And Beyond by amanda reckonwith

Cell phone users may get a glitch, so try this and scroll:
After 10+ years, a small justice for Susan and her sons Braden and Charlie. There is little comfort in winning, but on 7/31/20 the WA DSHS has lost the negligence battle about the boys' deaths. The family will help other children in bad situations.

Attachments

• family.JPG
    family.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 080320.WA.awards.98M.to.Cox.family.JPG
    080320.WA.awards.98M.to.Cox.family.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 8
Judge slashes nearly $100M jury verdict awarded to Susan Cox Powell’s parents

Sept 15, 2020

TACOMA, Wash. — A judge here on Tuesday slashed by two thirds a nearly $100 million jury verdict handed down to the parents of missing Utah woman Susan Cox Powell at the end of July over the 2012 deaths of Powell’s two children at the hands of their father.

“My conscience is still shocked by the verdict size today, as it was on the day the verdict was delivered,” Pierce County Superior Court Judge Stanley Rumbaugh said.

[..]

The jury ruled unanimously at the conclusion of the trial that the state agency had acted negligently. Their verdict levied a $98.5 million penalty against the state. Weeks later, attorneys for the state filed a motion requesting a new trial or a reduction in the damages.

In a hearing on that request, Rumbaugh said it was clear to him that the graphic nature of the killings had played into the jury’s decision.

“These were extreme and inflammatory facts that related to the killings of these boys,” Rumbaugh said. “They’re bound to bestir passion in the hearts and minds of any rational person.”

Rumbaugh stressed the jurors were likely not even consciously aware of their own “passion” in setting such a high dollar figure for damages.

“It’s not the size of the verdict alone, most certainly, that is an indicator,” Rumbaugh said. “It’s whether the size of the verdict in light of the evidence produced shocks the conscience of the court. And in this case, it does.”

As a result, Rumbaugh cut the jury’s award to $32.8 million. Or, he said, the parties could retry the case.

[..]

The reduction comes as a blow to the Coxes, who have said the high dollar damages awarded by the jury would serve as important motivation for the state of Washington to reform its child welfare practices. During the trial, witnesses for the Coxes accused the Department of Social and Health Services and its social workers of showing “reunification bias” by attempting to place Charlie and Braden Powell back with their father, in spite of Josh Powell’s status as the sole suspect in the suspected killing of his wife.

[..]

That effort culminated in a Feb. 1, 2012, court hearing where a judge ordered supervised visitation to continue, while not objecting to a state plan to continue holding those visits at Powell’s rented home. However, the judge also ordered Powell to undergo a psychosexual evaluation and polygraph before she would consider allowing him full custody. Powell killed himself and the children days later, during one of those visits.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back