Kansas teen won't apologize to governor's office for Twitter post

Just a little rabbit trail:

The Sermon on the Mount states that "peaceMAKERS" are blessed, not "peaceKEEPERS.". I once heard a very interesting sermon on the difference between the two.

However, I totally agree with you that one must pick battles, and that a well placed apology has defused many situations.

Jumping off here: the fact that the school ASKED and did not DEMAND an apology completely changes my opinion about this having anything to do with first amendment rights.

I still believe the governor's staff was WAY too reactive to a teen's twitter post. However, if no attempt was made to censor the student's post, or to punish the student for her opinion, then no attempt to stifle her first amendment rights exists.

I'm glad your mind was changed. I am often frustrated when people just believe whatever is reported without looking at the facts. The internet makes it very difficult to confirm facts because many bloggers are not official journalists which means they don't have to back up their sources the way professionals do. Often people just link to other bloggers as evidence.

For those who may have missed it I'll post it again here.

http://smeharbinger.net/news/students-tweet-generates-national-discussion

“As Dr. Krawitz sat there and lectured me for thirty minutes, I realized that [getting in trouble] wasn’t right,” Emma said in an exclusive interview with Harbinger Online.

“What he kept saying to me was, ‘Are you listening to me? I don’t think you get it.’” Emma said. “I really wanted to say, ‘I don’t get it,’ because I was pretty sure I couldn’t get in trouble for tweeting something.”

Observers across the nation have voiced their opinions on the situation after it was reported that a staffer from Governor Sam Brownback’s office contacted Youth in Government officials who contacted Krawitz about the tweet in emails. Many sources also stated that Krawitz insisted upon an apology letter, a fact that Emma claims was fabricated.

According to Emma, Krawitz told her about the consequences of her tweet and told her about who would have to face the public on the issue. He suggested a letter of apology, but never required one. Sullivan thinks the sources that believed the letter was mandatory simply misunderstood her previous statements

I knew she would be bullied by the kids at her school. That was, IMO, always going to be one of the consequences she would have to face.

Yes, we all have freedom of speech, but there are always consequences. You have to own what you say. I do hope this is one of the lessons Emma has learned from this incident.

By the same token, I hope the Governor's staffer has learned some lessons, too. Knee jerk comments and reactions are rarely worthwhile.

I think she's shocked and upset because she got so much attention in the media that she thought she's be the school hero when she went back to school. She said even close friends turned on her. I think its because they know she lied and made their school look bad. Now she's making them all look bad.

I also posted pages ago that she's probably going to have a hard time getting a job based on this experience and I think that's going to be true as well.

She's painted herself into a corner. Her supporters should be more concerned about the fact that this girl has done nothing but character assassination than fighting for "freedom of speech." It's not very classy.

While I used the term, "keep the peace" (because, frankly, I thought it would be better understood), my illustration, demonstrated, I believe, "making" peace. Keeping peace is what one does when an atmosphere of peace already exists. Making peace is what one does to re-establish the peaceful environment that has dissolved.

Those who strive to keep the peace, as well as those who make it will both be blessed, I'm sure, especially with regard to the fact that they both could have been doing the opposite.

Just a little rabbit trail:

The Sermon on the Mount states that "peaceMAKERS" are blessed, not "peaceKEEPERS.". I once heard a very interesting sermon on the difference between the two.

However, I totally agree with you that one must pick battles, and that a well placed apology has defused many situations.

Jumping off here: the fact that the school ASKED and did not DEMAND an apology completely changes my opinion about this having anything to do with first amendment rights.

I still believe the governor's staff was WAY too reactive to a teen's twitter post. However, if no attempt was made to censor the student's post, or to punish the student for her opinion, then no attempt to stifle her first amendment rights exists.

I haven't read all of these posts, just the first page or so. My opinion is solidified already though. A young woman, who is by all accounts an adult and has all the rights all us other adults have, made a public statement (the manner of which is not important) that rubbed a politician and/or his staff the wrong way. It would appear they sought retribution by 'reporting' her and possibly demanding an apology.

Now here's my biggest issue with this whole thing. If this young woman hadn't been a student do you think they would have made an issue about it? For instance, if my 40 something self had said something negative about this politician do you think his staff would have tracked down my parents and reported me to them? LOL The fact is the only reason this is an issue is because this young woman was perceived as being an underling and could be tattled on by someone who was mad that she said something they didn't like. I think that says a lot about the person(s) who is/are making a mountain out of a molehill. Power issues come to mind. I wouldn't apologize either.

You're right, Jack.
Some people felt that her comments were inappropriate due to her age and status as a high school student. No one had an issue with her voicing her opinion (or having one, for that matter).

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/education/shawnee-mission-east-high-school-students-rally-in-support-of-principal-in-tweet-controversy

All three have been threatened on social media according to this article.

Just bumping this post as a reminder that all 3 are being threatened.

Now we are reading that they just want to move on. Ok, that's well and good. But I wonder if the threats are being addressed?

Just bumping this post as a reminder that all 3 are being threatened.

Now we are reading that they just want to move on. Ok, that's well and good. But I wonder if the threats are being addressed?
I would like to read the article, but the link doesn't work.

I would like to read the article, but the link doesn't work.

Oh shoot!
Sometimes my Tapatalk messes up quotes and links. I'll see if I can fix it.
Thanks for letting me know.

This article provides some of the TRUTH about this issue. It still comes down to the fact that this girl LIED about what happened, purposely misled the media to get attention, and now is upset that she is being seen for what she is instead of some kind of "cool, MEAN GIRL" hero.

http://www.kansas.com/2011/12/02/2126028/school-aims-to-move-on-from-tweet.html

“Everyone here at East hopes to unite, forgive and move on. The media has it wrong,” she wrote. “(Principal) Krawitz and attitudes like his make Shawnee Mission East excellent.”
Emma Sullivan, 18, was in Topeka on Nov. 21 as part of a Kansas Youth in Government program when she posted an insult about Gov. Sam Brownback on her personal Twitter page.
Later that morning, Niomi Burget, assistant to the director of scheduling for Brownback’s office, sent a copy of the tweet to an event organizer along with the message: “I don’t know if this was someone with your group, but thought if it was you might want it brought to your attention.”
The next day Shawnee Mission East principal Karl Krawitz summoned Sullivan to his office and scolded her for the tweet. According to Sullivan, he also ordered her to write letters of apology to Brownback and others.
After the incident was reported last week, Sullivan’s anti-Brownback tweet went viral, the story made national headlines and Sullivan’s followers on Twitter grew from 61 to nearly 16,000.
Brownback ended up apologizing for his staff’s reaction to the tweet. School district officials said Sullivan would not be disciplined or required to write an apology letter.
Krawitz, however, said in an e-mail to government officials that he recommended but did not require an apology letter.
According to e-mails obtained from the governor’s office through an open records request, Krawitz wrote last Saturday that “there are many inaccuracies associated with (Sullivan’s) story.”
“Since we protect the privacy of kids, I will not comment on specifics of the case except to say there are two sides to the story,” he wrote. The e-mail to Burget, dated Nov. 26, continues:
“This is not about political views or opinions or free speech – it (is) about being respectful as a student while on a school trip. What (Sullivan) does on her time is her business. She was dishonest to her friends when she sent the tweet and … it is disrespectful,” Krawitz wrote.
“The governor should know we did not force any letter of apology. There were no threats if she did not – they were not even discussed. We did not take her phone, imposed any sanctions, suspend her from school, removed her from any activity – nothing – simply write a letter of apology.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2011/12/02/2126028/school-aims-to-move-on-from-tweet.html#ixzz1fbhoazQi

The principal is pleading for people to stop posting more drama to drag it out but of course people aren't going to let it die down.

What a mess. You'd think with the holidays coming people would try to promote peace and forgiveness but I guess not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiouscanadian
Back