Kentucky church bans interracial marriage

Well we most likely will never know what their reasons were for leaving.

I find it hard to believe the majority of the church wanted the ban.

Skin color has nothing to do with religion.

What we do know is that it wasn't a big enough issue for the majority to stay behind and vote on it. To quote "Freewill" by Rush; "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."

I also disagree with skin color having nothing to do with religion. It doesn't until a religion uses it to discriminate. True Christians aren't racist. IMO, Jesus wouldn't return and be a racist. He loved everyone and that was his message. We should all be a big brotherhood of one.

I have yet to meet someone who claims to be a Christian and actually is. The rules that Jesus laid down are very difficult to follow and everybody I know doesn't follow some of them. Saint Mother Theresa of Calcutta, Ghandi and MLK Jr. are the closest I've heard about. As for mentioning Ghandi, he wasn't a professed Christian but he lived a true Christian lifestyle, from what I know. JMO

Where would you draw the line? I think the argument could be made that this is a political statement and therefore they should lose their tax exempt status.

I'm not sure where I would draw the line - but I am thankful I don't have to!

I don't know enough about the tax-exempt agreement churches make with the government to form an opinion on whether or not this violates that.

I have yet to meet someone who claims to be a Christian and actually is. The rules that Jesus laid down are very difficult to follow and everybody I know doesn't follow some of them. Saint Mother Theresa of Calcutta, Ghandi and MLK Jr. are the closest I've heard about. As for mentioning Ghandi, he wasn't a professed Christian but he lived a true Christian lifestyle, from what I know. JMO

I have to respectfully address the bolded part of your post that I quoted. I think that the very definition of the term "Christian" can (and obviously does) vary. I can't help but feel repulsed when individuals attempt to force their understanding of a holy text or revered prophet onto other people. It strikes me as an attempt to control the actions of others - something that doesn't sit easy with me. I'm just too gosh-darn freedom loving, I suppose!

BTW, I have to know (sorry for going off-topic) - is the Steely part of your username because of a steel guitar? I always think of that when I see your posts!

I'm not sure where I would draw the line - but I am thankful I don't have to!

I don't know enough about the tax-exempt agreement churches make with the government to form an opinion on whether or not this violates that.

Political statements from the pulpit are enough to get your tax expempt status yanked. I can say that I have sat in a few pews where political statements were made during election years.

That's what I thought. It's disgusting that people use religion this way. But public backlash ought to bring them around. I find it strange how few people commented on this in the news compared to a silly twitter spat in Kansas. Makes you wonder.

Chewy...I am not sure that public backlash nor anything else would remove their narrow-minded racial views from limited minds.

Well we only know FOR SURE 9 members are racist.

IMO you can't judge the whole congregation for the actions of 9.

IMO, the people who walked out are like the people who looked the other way while Sandusky and Fine molested children. They are as culpable as those 9. JMO

I would judge the congregation for not ousting those with views antithetical to the cause of Christ. I would judge them (imo) cowards for not standing for the rights of any man, woman or child...no matter the pigment of their skin...nor their spouses. I think it is a sin to stand and do nothing while injustice rules.

I would judge the congregation for not ousting those with views antithetical to the cause of Christ. I would judge them (imo) cowards for not standing for the rights of any man, woman or child...no matter the pigment of their skin...nor their spouses. I think it is a sin to stand and do nothing while injustice rules.

As I said before, almost all changes to bylaws have to be voted on. They can't just insist others leave when the main one doing the wrong is the pastor.

They are trying to correct it.

Yes they should have stood up from the beginning by voting. I'm not arguing that.

But the pastor is no longer the pastor. They are putting the matter to a vote.

IMO, the people who walked out are like the people who looked the other way while Sandusky and Fine molested children. They are as culpable as those 9. JMO

I think so as well. In fact they were the bigger cowards. The only ones who I think are not guilty are the ones who voted against it. But in the end if they didn't report it then they are just as guilty.

When I was 20, an interracial couple had been visiting our Southern Baptist church for months before deciding to join. Everyone was welcoming, and they felt like they "fit in" there..... until the morning they decided to join. When someone joins a church, all members who are present "vote" on it. I'm not sure why.... but before this event, it had always been a positive "all those in favor of said person joining our church, say 'Amen!'" That particular morning, the couple went down, and when the vote was called, a couple of people voted against them. It was dramatic.... tumultuous.... downright heartbreaking. After the naysayers spoke, people started speaking up in favor of the couple. I remember getting up and leaving, as I was too emotional to even speak, especially after I watched tears fall down the face of the wife during the whole fiasco.

In the time after I left, I had many thoughts to deal with. Who WERE these people? This was MY church... the church I felt loved and nurtured in, and the only home I knew. I heard vicious words come out of mouths I had once revered. It hurt EVERYONE to the core. To make a long story short, the pastor apologized and many people privately contacted the couple telling them they were more than welcome, but the pain of those few was just too much for them to come back. I didn't leave the church. I got married there, and eventually moved away, but I still consider it my childhood church. The church is not a building with laws and rules. The church is made of the people... the members. It is supposed to be the Body of Christ. In retrospect, it was not my church that was evil, but the hearts of those few troublemakers who, in sadness, were ignorant and reluctant to change.... they had been taught a belief system that to them was right, but to the rest of us was wrong. The media, if they had been invited, would have had a field day, and the whole "church" would have been thrown to the wolves. However, there were many true Christians there that day, and while they may not have knocked the idiots over the head with clubs in a display of public detest, they reacted much more calmly and compassionately... for those being hurt, AND for those doing the hurting. We ALL need love, acceptance, and forgiveness. I must remember the same when thinking of this church and this situation. I simply cannot judge the hearts of all those involved, but I pray for peace and understanding for them all. I do now attend a Free Will Baptist Church, and there are people of all kinds are welcome, as by the teachings of Jesus Christ.

That said, while it is not MY wish or mentality AT ALL, I think that if churches, groups, clubs or any of the sort want to gather together and welcome only certain types of members, that is MORE THAN within their rights to do so. Would I want to be a member? Ummm, no. If a club decided they didn't want anybody like me... blonde, green-eyed, I'm-Not-From-Louisana-But-I'm-Still-Hot-Sauce kinda girls... well, they can do so. I wouldn't want to be a part of such group to begin with, but I still believe it is their not-so-nice right to do so. There's plenty of churches and groups for everyone to belong to. ;)

As I said before, almost all changes to bylaws have to be voted on. They can't just insist others leave when the main one doing the wrong is the pastor.

They are trying to correct it.

Yes they should have stood up from the beginning by voting. I'm not arguing that.

But the pastor is no longer the pastor. They are putting the matter to a vote.

I know Kimberly...all changes to bylaws in denominations must be put to a vote...but I think a huge public outcry should have arisen right there in the middle of that church and the members should have ousted this guy before it hit the news.

I know Kimberly...all changes to bylaws in denominations must be put to a vote...but I think a huge public outcry should have arisen right there in the middle of that church and the members should have ousted this guy before it hit the news.

He is no longer the pastor.

The current pastor does not agree with the ban.

Was the pastor ousted? I don't know. Could have been.

There was a thread on this news story yesterday. It got pulled. Why? Because it turned into a religious debate rather than a racial concern.

Keep your posts directed on racial issues and leave the different religious aspects alone.

If you find something in the Bible to support banning interracial marriages, sent me a private message and I'll review it.

There was a thread on this news story yesterday. It got pulled. Why? Because it turned into a religious debate rather than a racial concern.

Keep your posts directed on racial issues and leave the different religious aspects alone.

If you find something in the Bible to support banning interracial marriages, sent me a private message and I'll review it.

Perhaps we should not focus on the Bible, but how far we are supposed to have come since?

FGS, the whole thing is so.....icky. Clearly, we have not made the strides we like to believe we've made.

I'm grateful for the "uproar" that has come about as a result of this ridiculous ban.

I think we have come really far.

But there will always be some people stuck in their ways.

I'm glad this is an exception to the norm.

I think we have come really far.

But there will always be some people stuck in their ways.

I'm glad this is an exception to the norm.

I guess I just have to wonder why so many people are still "stuck in their ways." How many more generations must pass through this world before we just recognize people as people; no matter the color?

When my first husband and I were looking for a church to be married in, we found a beautiful Presbyterian church and made the decision to join. I was raised in this religion and it's quite un-controversial, in comparison to others.

So......we went to Sunday services and afterward, hung out in the lobby with the other congregants. All I heard people talking about was who was wearing what, who was driving what, who had this and who had that. It made me sick! I should point out that everyone there - including us - were as white as the driven snow. It made me so sad to see how shallow these people were.

We never went back there and I have raised my own children to choose their own way.

Sure those churches exist.
But they are not all that way.

You have to find one you are comfortable with. There are judgmental people in almost every group. Not just churches.

Some people are just that way.

Color should not matter to a congregation at all IMO.

I guess I just have to wonder why so many people are still "stuck in their ways." How many more generations must pass through this world before we just recognize people as people; no matter the color?

When my first husband and I were looking for a church to be married in, we found a beautiful Presbyterian church and made the decision to join. I was raised in this religion and it's quite un-controversial, in comparison to others.

So......we went to Sunday services and afterward, hung out in the lobby with the other congregants. All I heard people talking about was who was wearing what, who was driving what, who had this and who had that. It made me sick! I should point out that everyone there - including us - were as white as the driven snow. It made me so sad to see how shallow these people were.

We never went back there and I have raised my own children to choose their own way.

It's not just prejudice against race, it's sexuality, personal life choices etc. People find ways to judge others. Unfortunately organized religions create safety zones for people to harbor and share these kinds of feelings because people don't do what you did and leave. Kudos to you.

It's not just prejudice against race, it's sexuality, personal life choices etc. People find ways to judge others. Unfortunately organized religions create safety zones for people to harbor and share these kinds of feelings because people don't do what you did and leave. Kudos to you.

I hope no one takes offense at what I say. The sad fact is organized religion is people treat them as another social organization.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back