"Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases

I think it may help to explain the I-45 corridor as we locals know it. Houston has a loop called 610 that circles the downtown "Houston". People that live within are located in the "inner loop" which includes Bellaire, West U and River Oaks. Galleria, Montrose...etc.....I-45 runs through the loop North or South. North of loop 610 is called the North Freeway with The Woodlands, Sheneadoah, Conroe and points north to DAllas and South of the loop is called the Gulf Freeway. Calder road is located along the Gulf Freeway along with towns Pasadena, Clear Lake City, Friendswood, League City, Dickinson, LaMarque, Texas City, Bayou Vista, Tiki Island and then Galveston. I've lived here for 45 years so I know the area very well. The store Heidi and Laura were abducted from is on FM 518 which intersects with the Gulf FWY and is one exit North of Calder. Corvette Concepts was also on 518 and was about a mile or so from the convienece store. Laura Smither was abducted on Moore Rd @ 528 (Nasa Rd 1) in Friendswood/Alvin and is closer to Hwy 35 (Telephone Rd) than the Gulf Fwy but Laura was eventually found very close to the Gulf Fwy in a Beltway 8 retaining pond. Jessican Cain was at a Bennigans right outside of Baybrook Mall which is on the Gulf Fwy@ Bay Area Blvd and her truck was found further south near LaMarque.... I hope this gives a better idea of the road lingo and the area and how close those particular cases are. I'm not saying they are related but lots of horrible things have happened on that particular stretch of road for decades. I know to this day I still get an uneasy feeling whenever I drive further S than Nasa Rd 1....

Vlpate, you addressed me, but you were responding to Ikoihil's post. But since you did...:)

Believe it or not, I'm pretty familiar with the Galveston/Pasadena/Baytown area and the towns you listed. I've visited there many times since I was a teenager in the 1960's-70's. In fact, I was there just a few months ago. So I understand what you're saying about the geography. The truth is the oil fields around Conroe off of I-45 form their own killing field. Whether or not the bodies found on those roads were victims of the same killer, the Killing Fields killer, or each a unique killer, if members have the time and ability to post the information and analyze the data, why discourage them? Those victims deserve justice, too, and the Doe's deserve a name.

You are exactly right and my intent was never to discourage anyone from sleuthing these cases.... you're doing a great job and I apologize for being a busy body with my :twocents: -- best of luck and I hope you find closure for some of these families. :seeya:

You are exactly right and my intent was never to discourage anyone from sleuthing these cases.... you're doing a great job and I apologize for being a busy body with my :twocents: -- best of luck and I hope you find closure for some of these families. :seeya:
:blowkiss:

I forgot to add, there was a series of rapes at the Calder Square apartments in the mid/late 80's. Calder Square is on FM 518 about 1000 feet from Gulf Freeway and about a mile or so from Calder Rd and very close the the convience store Laura Miller and Heidi Fye were last seen. I remember there was some speculation that these could be connected but then the interest faded and I really can't recall if they found the guy or not....

My understanding is that, since 1970, there have been over 200 unsolved killingsor disappearances of girls and young women in the greater Houston Metro area. This seems like a shocking number. The I-45 corridor and Montgomery County seem to be "hot spots". The Calder Roads "killing fields" involve only 4 known killings but they have captured the public imagination; perhaps because they can clearly be attributed to one serial killer.
What is very interesting about these killings is they involve two very different types of victims. Miller and Fye appear to have been local girls who were somehow "snatched" off the street (from the same location it would seem) very close to the dump site. The two Jane Does were older and, more importantly, unidentified. They appear to have had no Missing persons report. Even after all of the publicity of the discovery of their bodies. This would mean they were probably not from the Houston area and had no close ties with loved ones who might report them missing. From the autopsies, it seems like they had lived a rather "rough" life. They were probably prostitutes who live what is often called a "high risk, transient" lifestyle.

The fact that both Miller and Fye were abducted from the same spot and dumped so close by suggests that the Perp was "local" to League City. We know that there are plenty of serviceable dumpsites in the Houston area. There would be no need for a perp to leave his "comfort zone" to find one. He did not "blunder" into it while prowling around with Jane Doe#1 in his trunk. He knew about it in advance. From what I know about the site, it was located at the end of an unmarked, primitive dirt road. He either knew about it through "innocent reasons" (like employment) or he spent a little time "poking around". Either way, he had ties to the area.

It is possible that his particular perp used other dump sites. Apparently leaving the bodies naked facing up was sort of his "signature". I am not aware of any other I45 corridor deaths that fit this pattern however.

I think it may help to explain the I-45 corridor as we locals know it. Houston has a loop called 610 that circles the downtown "Houston". People that live within are located in the "inner loop" which includes Bellaire, West U and River Oaks. Galleria, Montrose...etc.....I-45 runs through the loop North or South. North of loop 610 is called the North Freeway with The Woodlands, Sheneadoah, Conroe and points north to DAllas and South of the loop is called the Gulf Freeway. Calder road is located along the Gulf Freeway along with towns Pasadena, Clear Lake City, Friendswood, League City, Dickinson, LaMarque, Texas City, Bayou Vista, Tiki Island and then Galveston. I've lived here for 45 years so I know the area very well. The store Heidi and Laura were abducted from is on FM 518 which intersects with the Gulf FWY and is one exit North of Calder. Corvette Concepts was also on 518 and was about a mile or so from the convienece store. Laura Smither was abducted on Moore Rd @ 528 (Nasa Rd 1) in Friendswood/Alvin and is closer to Hwy 35 (Telephone Rd) than the Gulf Fwy but Laura was eventually found very close to the Gulf Fwy in a Beltway 8 retaining pond. Jessican Cain was at a Bennigans right outside of Baybrook Mall which is on the Gulf Fwy@ Bay Area Blvd and her truck was found further south near LaMarque.... I hope this gives a better idea of the road lingo and the area and how close those particular cases are. I'm not saying they are related but lots of horrible things have happened on that particular stretch of road for decades. I know to this day I still get an uneasy feeling whenever I drive further S than Nasa Rd 1....

<modsnipped image>

interstate_45_texas_highway_map.gif

From Galveston (and going north on I-45) to Houston, you pass:
Tiki Island
Bayou Vista
Texas City
La Marque
Santa Fe
Hitchcock
Dickinson
League City
Friendswood
Clear Lake
Pasadena
South Houston

(Just giving an illustration of the area for non-locals, as a reference)

I forgot to add, there was a series of rapes at the Calder Square apartments in the mid/late 80's. Calder Square is on FM 518 about 1000 feet from Gulf Freeway and about a mile or so from Calder Rd and very close the the convience store Laura Miller and Heidi Fye were last seen. I remember there was some speculation that these could be connected but then the interest faded and I really can't recall if they found the guy or not....

BBM That is interesting since many serial rapists graduate into serial killers. Wish we had a way of finding out how many rapes occurred and the ages of the victims.

Do you know if these were break-ins, abductions, or if the perp just caught them on the street and raped them? Do you know if these rapes occurred during the day or at night? These details would be helpful.

My understanding is that, since 1970, there have been over 200 unsolved killingsor disappearances of girls and young women in the greater Houston Metro area. This seems like a shocking number. The I-45 corridor and Montgomery County seem to be "hot spots". The Calder Roads "killing fields" involve only 4 known killings but they have captured the public imagination; perhaps because they can clearly be attributed to one serial killer.
What is very interesting about these killings is they involve two very different types of victims. Miller and Fye appear to have been local girls who were somehow "snatched" off the street (from the same location it would seem) very close to the dump site. The two Jane Does were older and, more importantly, unidentified. They appear to have had no Missing persons report. Even after all of the publicity of the discovery of their bodies. This would mean they were probably not from the Houston area and had no close ties with loved ones who might report them missing. From the autopsies, it seems like they had lived a rather "rough" life. They were probably prostitutes who live what is often called a "high risk, transient" lifestyle.

The fact that both Miller and Fye were abducted from the same spot and dumped so close by suggests that the Perp was "local" to League City. We know that there are plenty of serviceable dumpsites in the Houston area. There would be no need for a perp to leave his "comfort zone" to find one. He did not "blunder" into it while prowling around with Jane Doe#1 in his trunk. He knew about it in advance. From what I know about the site, it was located at the end of an unmarked, primitive dirt road. He either knew about it through "innocent reasons" (like employment) or he spent a little time "poking around". Either way, he had ties to the area.

It is possible that his particular perp used other dump sites. Apparently leaving the bodies naked facing up was sort of his "signature". I am not aware of any other I45 corridor deaths that fit this pattern however.

Leaving their bodies face up, arms crossed, naked, wrapped in burlap, and in a shallow grave suggests he revisited them. He returned to view them and possibly masturbated at the grave site. Yes, it is a signature.

interstate_45_texas_highway_map.gif

From Galveston (and going north on I-45) to Houston, you pass:
Tiki Island
Bayou Vista
Texas City
La Marque
Santa Fe
Hitchcock
Dickinson
League City
Friendswood
Clear Lake
Pasadena
South Houston

(Just giving an illustration of the area for non-locals, as a reference)

This map is very deceptive in the way it appears Conroe and the Woodlands look as though they are close to Galveston. The Woodlands is 72 miles from Galveston, in traffic, almost a two hour drive. Conroe is just before The Woodlands, maybe 10 miles, if that.

I-45 Corridor:
http://psu-sk.tripod.com/pix/i45-murders.jpg

Interesting information about an inordinate number of unresolved missing in Houston and surrounding areas. I wonder how many of these are runaways?

Leaving their bodies face up, arms crossed, naked, wrapped in burlap, and in a shallow grave suggests he revisited them. He returned to view them and possibly masturbated at the grave site. Yes, it is a signature.

Are you thinking of the Long Island killer? The KF bodies were not wrapped in burlap or in a shallow grave. That's another interestng case :)

Are you thinking of the Long Island killer? The KF bodies were not wrapped in burlap or in a shallow grave. That's another interestng case :)

No, I am aware of LISK. I read a very long narrative on the Texas Killing Fields. It has been a while back. It concerned a man who they suspected in some of the Texas murders who left and went to the Barbados or somewhere like that. I honestly can't remember his name or where he went. Anyway, girls began disappearing there too.

In this narrative it stated that the girls in the killling field were in a shallow grave covered (I said wrapped and that was wrong) with burlap and leaves. I have just spent an hour trying to find that very long narrative and I'm unable to locate it.

If anyone else has read this and knows what I'm talking about (right now I don't. lol) please post a link.

In the meantime, if I'm incorrect it wasn't on purpose. I did read that.

Thanks.

No, I am aware of LISK. I read a very long narrative on the Texas Killing Fields. It has been a while back. It concerned a man who they suspected in some of the Texas murders who left and went to the Barbados or somewhere like that. I honestly can't remember his name or where he went. Anyway, girls began disappearing there too.

In this narrative it stated that the girls in the killling field were in a shallow grave covered (I said wrapped and that was wrong) with burlap and leaves. I have just spent an hour trying to find that very long narrative and I'm unable to locate it.

If anyone else has read this and knows what I'm talking about (right now I don't. lol) please post a link.

In the meantime, if I'm incorrect it wasn't on purpose. I did read that.

Thanks.

I don't doubt that you did read this. It may have been "inside" information, kept secret by LE, that only the perp would know. Maybe these details were a leak and now it's taken down. There have been a few confessions that didn't pan out and no one was charged who confessed.

I don't doubt that you did read this. It may have been "inside" information, kept secret by LE, that only the perp would know. Maybe these details were a leak and now it's taken down. There have been a few confessions that didn't pan out and no one was charged who confessed.

That might be the case. I don't know. I posted that on LISK noting the similarity. I believe it was in May or June. Someone messaged me about having read the same article but I've deleted the message and don't remember who it was. We both wondered if there was a connection since all those in LISK were not buried in that manner either.

If it was a leak it didn't leak for long...........lol

Posted by Ikoihil in UID

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieC
1985 Case # 85-28903
Unidentified Human Skeletal Remains

November 29, 1985 &#8211; Lake Conroe, @ Rush Creek, Conroe, Texas
SYNOPSIS: On November 29, 1985, a citizen was fishing in Lake
Conroe, at Rush Creek, and hooked a human skull. MCSO Deputies
investigated and observed that the skull bore writing, which included
references to Japanese and World War II. MCSO Cold Case Detectives
have submitted the remains for DNA testing, Anthropological Analysis,
and submission to the Missing Persons / Unidentified DNA database

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieC
The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1945

Quote:
Unidentified Asian Female

&#8226;The victim was discovered on June 11, 1998 in Conroe, Montgomery County, Texas.
&#8226;Estimated Date of Death: 3 years or greater
&#8226;State of Remains: Partial Skeletal Remains
&#8226;Cause of Death: Unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

&#8226;Estimated age: 20-33 years old.
&#8226;Approximate Height and Weight: Unknown.
&#8226;Distinguishing Characteristics: Unknown.
&#8226;Clothing: Blue or black ball cap with a "Lone Star Feed" logo. Tan cloth was also found with the remains.
&#8226;Dentals: Unknown. Some teeth had been glued into place.
&#8226;DNA: Sample submitted.
&#8226;Fingerprints: Not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
On June 11, 1998, a man was walking in a wooded area behind his home in the 600 block of Airline Drive when he observed what appeared to be the top portion of a skull protruding from the ground.

Montgomery County Sheriff's Office deputies investigated and recovered additional skeletal remains. The additional bones were determined not to be of human origin.

What appears to be a mounting hole was drilled into the cranium. The remains resemble other skulls that have been determined to be skull war trophies collected during Asian military action.

The remains were originally believed to be those of a male, however, DNA analysis in September 2010, has confirmed that they are those of a female

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154749

These two cases seem related -

they're in the same area, and if I'm right, it shows that this guy was active for quite a long span of time...

IMO, one or all of these serial killers should be looked at for comparison to the I-45 Corridor killings....and why I think a truck driver is a good profile to look at. Read more about all three cases here:
http://www.mayhem.net/Crime/killersatlarge.html

The I-45 Killer(s) (32) Over that last three decades the FBI has chronicled at least 32 dead women in an area a few miles on either side of Interstate 45 along the 50-mile stretch between Houston and Galveston in Texas. The latest victim was discoveredin early 1999 by a little boy and his dog when they were out for a walk in some marshy woods. The dog came up with a bone, and then the boy saw a skull. Nearby, the police later would find earrings, shreds of clothing and a belt tied around a tree. Investigators believe the killer used it to bind the young woman while she was sexually assaulted.

Now, for the first time since the first victim's corpse was discovered in 1971, investigators believe they are making progress both in breaking individual cases and devising a method to attack the overall problem. But early indications are not good for those who hoped it could be brought to an end by finding one serial killer who could be captured and put behind bars. "It appears that there may be multiple serial killers," said Don K. Clark, special agent in charge of the FBI's Houston division.

What I find interesting about this one, is that the killings started in 1991, when the KFK stopped. New Orleans is off East I-10. I-45 South connects to I-10 within a few miles of League City.

"New Orleans Serial Killer" (24 +/-) There is a possible serial killer, or serial killers, roaming the streets of New Orleans logging in at 24 dead. The vicitms are mostly prostitutes who were strangled, their stripped bodies dumped in New Orleans, Jefferson Parish, and swamps further west of the city. The killings started in 1991. Most of the victims were abducted in Algiers and Treme, two of the poorest neighborhoods of the city. A New Orleans police officer, Victor Gant is the suspect in the murders of two out of 24 victims. While being investigated for two death -- one of which was his girlfriend -- Gant remained in the force in a desk job. After a domestic dispute with his current girlfriend Gant was suspended from the force.

More off of I-10

"Possible I-10 Serial Killer" (20) Police in San Diego is investigating an unnamed subject in relation to a string of slaying committed along Interstate 10, the 3,000-mile highway running across eight states in the lower United States.

The investigation was triggered by a woman who provided police with information about the 1981 slaying in San Diego's Balboa Park that only someone who was there and witnessed the killing or who received information from the killer could have known. The female informant, whom authorities have not identified, showed authorities the location of the crime and described how it was committed -- all facts that were known only to police.

The woman accused a truck driver of the 1981 killing, as well a string of other slayings across America. The victims were mostly hitchhikers and rostitutes. According to the informant, the trucker may have killed up to 20 people. Many of the victims were killed in Texas and their bodies dumped or buried in shallow graves hundreds of miles away.

One case of note....and there has been an arrest:

Krystal Jean Baker - Age 13, Caucasian, blonde, dark eyes. Disappeared on March 5, 1996 from Convenience Store in Texas City where she used the phone. In hopes for a ride to a friends house in Bayou Vista, which is a short distance from there. Her body was found a few hours later under the I-10 Bridge over the Trinity River in Chambers County. She had been strangled, beaten, sexually assaulted and killed by ligature strangulation. Her face was badly beaten. Closest highway from where she was last seen is I-45, Hwy 3 and Hwy 146 which goes along Bay toward where body was found miles away. Marilyn Monroe, Norma Jean Baker was Krystal's great aunt.

2. Turn right onto TX-87/Broadway Avenue J
2.4 mi
3. Continue onto I-45 N
6.8 mi
4. Take exit 7A for Texas City toward TX-3/TX-146/La Marque
0.1 mi
5. Merge onto Texas City Wye
0.7 mi
6. Continue onto TX-146 N
5.6 mi
7. Take the ramp onto TX-146 N
33.6 mi
8. Turn right onto E Freeway Service Rd/Interstate 10 Service Rd
0.3 mi
9. Take the ramp on the left onto I-10 E
54.5 mi
10. Slight left to stay on I-10 E
Entering Louisiana
183 mi

Krystal Jean Baker - Age 13, Caucasian, blonde, dark eyes. Disappeared on March 5, 1996 from Convenience Store in Texas City where she used the phone. In hopes for a ride to a friends house in Bayou Vista, which is a short distance from there. Her body was found a few hours later under the I-10 Bridge over the Trinity River in Chambers County. She had been strangled, beaten, sexually assaulted and killed by ligature strangulation. Her face was badly beaten. Closest highway from where she was last seen is I-45, Hwy 3 and Hwy 146 which goes along Bay toward where body was found miles away. Marilyn Monroe, Norma Jean Baker was Krystal's great aunt.

2. Turn right onto TX-87/Broadway Avenue J
2.4 mi
3. Continue onto I-45 N
6.8 mi
4. Take exit 7A for Texas City toward TX-3/TX-146/La Marque
0.1 mi
5. Merge onto Texas City Wye
0.7 mi
6. Continue onto TX-146 N
5.6 mi
7. Take the ramp onto TX-146 N
33.6 mi
8. Turn right onto E Freeway Service Rd/Interstate 10 Service Rd
0.3 mi
9. Take the ramp on the left onto I-10 E
54.5 mi
10. Slight left to stay on I-10 E
Entering Louisiana
183 mi
More information on Krystal Jean Baker posted here:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Cases from 1990-1999

Kevin Edison Smith is implicated in a lot of murders, he's lived in many different cities. He's a very interesting subject, 48 Hours did a show on him. However, LE seems to get a bit carried away when they capture a murderer, whom they feel or hope, might be related to other cases - they try to attach more to the murderer sometimes than actually happened. Helps them clear the books and look like heroes.

DNA advances solved the Krystal Baker case, not LE. Absent a DNA match, or a video taped crime, it seems like many people are getting away with murder.

IMO, one or all of these serial killers should be looked at for comparison to the I-45 Corridor killings....and why I think a truck driver is a good profile to look at. Read more about all three cases here:
http://www.mayhem.net/Crime/killersatlarge.html

The woman accused a truck driver of the 1981 killing, as well a string of other slayings across America. The victims were mostly hitchhikers and rostitutes. According to the informant, the trucker may have killed up to 20 people. Many of the victims were killed in Texas and their bodies dumped or buried in shallow graves hundreds of miles away.

I do not believe that a truck driver killed those women they found at 3000 Calder Rd. or many others that we have listed in this forum.

An 18 Wheeler would be pretty noticeable in that area, especially late at night. And the abductions that happened in neighborhoods (Smithers, et al) wouldn't have been feasible in an 18 Wheeler, either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back