Komodo dragon kills child

So sad!

I remember Sharon Stone's husband tussle with one, but always thought he was a totall chucklehead for having the zoo closed down to get into the cage with it...:loser:

But this little boy is a whole different story. Our zoo has a Komodo dragon. I did not know they were so dangerous.

Hi South!

lol are you joking?- just looking at one tells me it's dangerous! and capable of doing real damage!

It is true Narla.....number one rule if you are being attacked by a goanna (shudder)is to lay down....they will try to climb a person like a tree with horrific results.
The Goannas mouth is full of bacteria aswell making for a very slow and painful death if medical help is not recieved.

Some recent studies have indicated that they are actually venomous after all, and it isn't just bacteria. I don't know if it's conclusive, yet, though.

I had a Savanna Monitor (about nine inch long version of this huge thing) and gave it a mouse once. When they described the side to side motion the dragon did with the boy bitten at the waist, I could visualize it because of how my monitor did the side to side action. It wasn't shaking it side to side like a dog with a toy, either - it's so incredibly violent and smashing it into whatever is around. I give my pets live food all the time, but never again did I give him a live mouse because even though nature knows what it is doing with regards to animals in the wild and how they eat - it was too violent for me to ever participate in again.

This boy had no chance at all. It's such a shame because they are beautiful animals - but not as beautiful as a child. :-(

Hi South!

lol are you joking?- just looking at one tells me it's dangerous! and capable of doing real damage!

LOL!! I'm just clueless, narla - you know that! I think I just figured they were large lizards and I like lizards.....I didn't make the leap to DINOSAURS!!!

That poor little boy! I can't even imagine the pain he suffered. We were recently at a zoo and they had a komodo dragon. My dh is fascinated w/ certain lizards and was excited to see one and also explain to our dd just how dangerous this lizard is. Like LionRun stated, these lizards have deadly bacteria in their mouth that causes blood poisoning.

Here's a couple pictures from our recent zoo trip. The pictures were taken through glass, so they're a little cloudy looking.

100_9265.jpg

100_9264.jpg

Here's some interesting info on komodo dragons.

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/komodo_dragon.htm

Just searching the web and found this picture. I can't even imagine this coming at me.

komodo_dragon_01tfk.jpg

Ohhhh man!! I've never heard of these things before. When I saw this thread in the Bizarre section, I thought that it might be fiction for some unknown reason:banghead: So, I'm just reading it for the first time now.

I was about to ask what these things looked like and then I saw your pics. Thanks for posting them.

This is just HORRIBLE!!!

LOL!! I'm just clueless, narla - you know that! I think I just figured they were large lizards and I like lizards.....I didn't make the leap to DINOSAURS!!!

LOL LOL

Just looking at one makes my skin crawl, wouldnt like to see one in RL, well maybe if it was in a cage..

No kidding! When the man who wrestles salt water crocs won't tangle with something, that something is one bad mother, LOL! I still remember that episode with him and the kimodos well.
Yes, I remember that one too........Steve actually looked quite frightened. He ran off and hid.......there was a fear in his face.
Gosh, and he just let deadly snakes crawl between his legs........so these Kimodos are nothing to get the slightest close too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner
Back