KS KS - Adam Herrman, 11, Towanda, 1999

A sheriff says social media claims that a man was a Kansas boy missing since 1999 are a hoax. On Saturday night, a person claiming to be Adam Herrman vanished from a mobile home near Towanda in 1999. Butler County Sheriff Kelly Herzet said Monday that 24-year-old Stephen Smith made the posts. He worked briefly at the Butler County Jail a few years ago.

The Wichita Eagle reports Smith refused to be interviewed by authorities. Herzet said the Butler County Attorney told him Smith cannot currently be prosecuted for a crime for his posts.

Sheriff: Claim to be Kansas boy missing since 1999 is a hoax

BUTLER COUNTY, Kan. (KAKE) - A man who claimed to be a missing Kansas boy has died by suicide.

Man who claimed to be missing boy dies by suicide

WOW. That's not where I thought this was going to go at all. I live in the KC area and this is big, big news here. I've been really confused as to why he claimed to be the missing kid, I assumed some type of mental health issue, but I would think he'd have to be evaluated because of the type of claim he made, right? That's not really a thing people do for a laugh-this seems darker.

"Despite this, the sheriff’s office collected DNA to compare the man's identity to Herrman’s. Results are not back. "

I hope they follow-up on this just so it is 100% confirmed. Such a sad ending - this young man needed help desperately and he did not get it.

JAN 7, 202

Adam Joseph Herrman - Missing Since 1999
The Butler County Sheriff's Office reports that Adam's biological, maternal grandfather passed away on Dec 29, 2020 due to complications from COVID-19.

They wish to ensure that Adam has been informed of his grandfather's passing.

Should anyone know the whereabouts of Adam Joseph Herrman or know how to reach him, please contact the Butler County Sheriff's Office at (316) 322-4257.

Is there an address for where the adoptive parents lived when Adam dissappear

This article indicates Pine Ridge Estates, no idea how precise that is?

He lived in the Pine Ridge Mobile Home Park with his adoptive parents, Douglas Raymond "Doug" Herrman and Valerie Janelle Herrman.

and

Just using Google, no personal knowledge:

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads