GUILTY KS - Aron Pritchard for child abuse, Hutchinson, 2006

snip

Prosecutors allege Pritchard, 27, put the children in the hot dryer last year to punish them for wetting their pants. The 3-year-old boy was treated for second-degree burns, but the 2-year-old girl was not injured.

Pritchard maintains he was giving the children rides in the dryer and said he put pillows inside the machine to cushion the children.

The charges against Pritchard include child abuse, endangering a child, aggravated criminal sodomy, rape and aggravated indecent liberties with a child, and could carry multiple life sentences.

BBM. More at link.
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/aug/11/motions_denied_child_abuse_case/

He got 10 lousy years.

And no time for the rape of the children. All they did was prosecute for the dryer incident??? This is gross - look at his charges :sick:

I have no words.

well considering the judge thought 75 dollars bail was cool we should thank god he got anything

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/aug/11/motions_denied_child_abuse_case/

Schroeder has said McCarville "exceeded the scope of his review" by questioning the reliability of the boy's statements, which were played in the courtroom from a videotaped conversation with the boy's aunt.

Pritchard maintains he was giving the children rides in the dryer and said he put pillows inside the machine to cushion the children.

The charges against Pritchard include child abuse, endangering a child, aggravated criminal sodomy, rape and aggravated indecent liberties with a child, and could carry multiple life sentences.

McCarville said Thursday he must find the videotaped statements from the boy were not made by bribery or any type of coercion. He said it has to be clear that the interviews were conducted in a manner unlikely to produce a false statement. If the state fails to meet that burden, the statements may not be admitted as evidence.

"If you don't have a fair interview, there are due process implications," he said.

check the burns on his back for his reliabilty. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Wait.
TOPEKA — A state appeals court overturned a lengthy prison sentence Thursday given to a Kansas man for tumbling a 3-year-old boy in a hot clothes dryer and burning him.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/apr/23/sentence-overturned-child-abuse-case/?more_like_this

Thanks Chicana, I totally missed that.

You have got to be kidding me. The sentence was bad enough to begin with. Maybe they should now try him for all the stuff they left out the first time, like the SEXUAL ASSAULTS!

Thanks Chicana, I totally missed that.

You have got to be kidding me. The sentence was bad enough to begin with. Maybe they should now try him for all the stuff they left out the first time, like the SEXUAL ASSAULTS!

Maybe he didn't sexually assault them ?
In fact, I'm not sure what to think. I have a feeling, he might just be dumb and that it wasn't his intention to hurt the kids.
Adding the other and more serious charges could have been a tactic to get the idiot to plead guilty to the less serious charges.
I think the judge might have suspected that the paternal relatives were coercing the child to ensure the dad got custody.

check the burns on his back for his reliabilty. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This was in reference to the sexual abuse charges. Apparently the boy's aunt was doing the questioning.
The questioning wasn't being done by someone who was unbiased or even a professional.
I see the judge's point.

So, why wasn't it handled by a professional? If there was any question, I would think it would have been delved into. Or did someone drop the ball, again? Something is not quite right here.

Aron Pritchard's girlfriend testified Thursday that her ex-husband had been trying to get custody of their children ever since their divorce and had called social service agencies dozens of times with allegations of abuse.

The woman's ex-husband and biological father of the children testified he did call the agencies and law enforcement, but said it was out of concern for his children.

The children's mother testified that Pritchard told her of the incident as soon as she got home from work and that after talking to her son she believed the injuries were an accident.

Pritchard told her he put the children in the dryer with the door open as a game, and they thought it was fun, she said.

The woman testified she didn't seek medical attention for her son's wounds because she knew how to treat burns and because she didn't have medical insurance.

****Dad also refused to pay child support.
The father also testified he refused to pay child support, despite being ordered to do so, because he didn't think the money was going to his children. Instead, he would buy food and diapers.
Pritchard's attorney, public defender Sarah McKinnon, portrayed the refusal to pay as an attempt to run the show.

"You didn't pay child support because you wanted to control the situation, didn't you?" McKinnon said, noting that when he gained custody of the children after the dryer incident his child support obligation ended.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Localregional/pritc

So, why wasn't it handled by a professional? If there was any question, I would think it would have been delved into. Or did someone drop the ball, again? Something is not quite right here.

Maybe the paternal relatives aren't that credible or the tape indicated he was coerced.
IMO, 4 year old's won't just make something like that up, but if someone starts questioning them out of the blue, they're easy to coerce.
I remember when my kids were that age, they'd give you the answer that you wanted to hear based on the reaction they got or your tone of voice.
My daughter would say yes to everything.

Ah, the light is beginning to shine. Where did you find this? I don't know how I'm missing these things. The whole thing is starting to make a lot more sense now. It is certainly not unheard of for non-custodial parents to make false reports of abuse. Despicable, but not unheard of. If that is the truth of the matter, then the bio father should be charged for all of the trouble he has caused. I couldn't figure out why it was the aunt that interviewed the child and no one else. Now it makes sense. Thanks Chicana. Awesome job.

Custody issues are brutal. It's sad that so many children become the rope in their parent's game of tug of war.
IDK, the little boy was hurt as a direct result of mom's bf's actions so he needs to be held accountable but I think I believe his version of the story.

Ah, the light is beginning to shine. Where did you find this? I don't know how I'm missing these things. The whole thing is starting make a lot more sense now. It is certainly not unheard of for non-custodial parents to make false reports of abuse. Despicable, but not unheard of. If that is the truth of the matter, then the bio father should be charged for all of the trouble he has caused. I couldn't figure out why it was the aunt that interviewed the child and no one else. Now it makes sense. Thanks Chicana. Awesome job.

I just entered Pritchard's name in the search bar on Hutchnews.

I don't understand. Why would the judge allow something that was contrary to state law?
I don't care how big a slime someone is, the court is supposed to be fair. They're no better than the criminals when they violate their own laws.
And guess who pays for it ?

http://www.hutchnews.com/Publicsafety/childindryerthurs

According to the court's unpublished opinion, prior to the sentence departure hearing, Reno County District Attorney Keith Schroeder at least twice indicated he wasn't going to call any witnesses during that hearing. But then at the proceeding a few days later, he announced he was going to call a witness.

The defense objected, but Rome allowed the testimony by pediatrician Dr. Ellen Losew, who treated the children.

Losew testified she could find no medical journal references "worldwide" where a child sustained injury via use of a clothes dryer, "so this is new territory."

"What makes this proceeding problematic," the court wrote in its opinion, "is that despite Pritchard's objection and without explanation, the district court allowed the testimony of Dr. Losew. It did so contrary to (state law) which provides that 'only such evidence as the state has made known to the defendant prior to the upward durational departure sentence proceeding shall be admissible.'

November 2012:

A Kansas man has been sentenced for a third time for putting two young children in a hot clothes dryer to punish them, and his attorney says he plans to appeal the sentence again...

The Hutchinson News reports Pritchard initially was sentenced to 124 months in prison. The case was sent to the Court of Appeals because of the lengthy sentence, but a new judge sentenced Pritchard to the same 124 months last year.

Defense attorney Lee Timon appealed again, leading to Friday's sentence of 110 months.
http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/...Kids-in-Dryer-178642631.html?device=phone&c=y

July 2014:

An appellate court has ordered the third sentencing hearing for Aaron Pritchard, who was convicted of child abuse in 2008 after he put his girlfriend’s 2- and 3-year-old children in the dryer when the younger child wet his pants. The boy suffered second-degree burns on his back...

The court agreed with Pritchard’s attorney, who argued the maximum sentence allowed should be just over five years, which means Pritchard could be released soon. No new sentencing date was set.

http://m.cjonline.com/news/2014-07-21/3rd-re-sentencing-man-who-put-kids-dryer#gsc.tab=0

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back