KS KS - Hazel, 60, & Steve Avery, 19, Gary Longfellow, 23, Ottawa, 28 March 1973

I don't believe it could be the "hitch hiker" theory based on what Gary told me the day before he left cosmetology school to go to court. He KNEW his life was going to be taken. This fact has haunted me for 50 years. If it had just been a "hitch hiker" Gary could not possibly have known. I am going to call KS cold cases but not sure it will do any good.

I was a friend of Gary's in cosmetology school. I have recently come across some info that I am going to call KS cold case about though not sure it will be that helpful it certainly can't hurt to tell them what has recently been brought to my attention AND what Gary told me so long ago. I had told the police back then what Gary had told me but it sure wasn't anything to go by. Now I feel I have more info that may possibly help. I'll let the cold case authorities decide.

Last edited:
We're coming up on 51 years this March. I'm bumping in hopes of....well, anything.

@Flobow, if you see this, please send me a msg. Maybe we can put our heads together and compare notes (although you likely know far more than I about this entire case).

We're coming up on 51 years this March. I'm bumping in hopes of....well, anything.

@Flobow, if you see this, please send me a msg. Maybe we can put our heads together and compare notes (although you likely know far more than I about this entire case).
I am just here doing my annual check on this case as well. Please send me a message if you want to discuss it - I have been thinking of this one weekly at least since 2020.

I am just here doing my annual check on this case as well. Please send me a message if you want to discuss it - I have been thinking of this one weekly at least since 2020.
Hi Shan12, I haven’t been on much and don’t recall how to msg folks on here…lol I’d be happy to discuss things further, so feel free to send me a msg (I’m sure you’re more savvy than I).

I think about this case at least as often as you. Every time my eyes land on the wedding gift SA’s widow, Aunt D, gave us, I’m reminded she passed not knowing what happened to her husband. I’ll never stop thinking about it and I truly wish I knew how to breathe new life into this cold case.

The person/dept I thought was in charge never responded to an email query I sent. I’m considering trying to find an investigative journalist to help me. I suck at knowing what to do, who to speak to, what avenues to follow, etc. Plus, this is my family by marriage and it’s very awkward to try to bring this topic up with them. D’s father passed awhile back and the matriarch (her mom) passed not too long ago. Since then, there have been no opportunities for family gatherings with extended family. If nothing moves by next year around this time and I’ve been unable to find an IJ, I’ll look into hiring a PI.

If you don’t mind if I ask, are you a local or within the region? I’m not sure, other than flowbow, who may be connected locally. I’m thinking of driving out to the site where the car was found and just driving the paths SA took that night, as well as the one his mom and GL took. Maybe it will give me more insight or ideas, idk, I’m grasping at straws at this point.

Hi Shan12, I haven’t been on much and don’t recall how to msg folks on here…lol I’d be happy to discuss things further, so feel free to send me a msg (I’m sure you’re more savvy than I).

I think about this case at least as often as you. Every time my eyes land on the wedding gift SA’s widow, Aunt D, gave us, I’m reminded she passed not knowing what happened to her husband. I’ll never stop thinking about it and I truly wish I knew how to breathe new life into this cold case.

The person/dept I thought was in charge never responded to an email query I sent. I’m considering trying to find an investigative journalist to help me. I suck at knowing what to do, who to speak to, what avenues to follow, etc. Plus, this is my family by marriage and it’s very awkward to try to bring this topic up with them. D’s father passed awhile back and the matriarch (her mom) passed not too long ago. Since then, there have been no opportunities for family gatherings with extended family. If nothing moves by next year around this time and I’ve been unable to find an IJ, I’ll look into hiring a PI.

If you don’t mind if I ask, are you a local or within the region? I’m not sure, other than flowbow, who may be connected locally. I’m thinking of driving out to the site where the car was found and just driving the paths SA took that night, as well as the one his mom and GL took. Maybe it will give me more insight or ideas, idk, I’m grasping at straws at this point.
I sent you a message :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back