GUILTY KS - Jodi Sanderholm, 19, Arkansas City, 5 Jan 2007

I think we pretty well agree Opme. It was amazing reading the crimeblog yesterday when all these little rumors started coming forth. I have a very strong feeling that most of these were true because for one thing they made sense.

The only thing I heard that I wonder about is the shallow grave, as I don't know how he would dig it especially being in a freaked out state like he must have been. I think one link said she was found in a field, and it could be she wasn't in a grave. At least that poster had the general location right and also the setting as I remember.

Do you guys think LE took him with to show where she was? That would have to mean he confessed, right. I don't even know if he has a lawyer. If he did show LE her location I am thankful she was found soon, but he hadn't been charged on this case yet so I can't imagine him confessing. LE has to do it just right or there will problems down the line.

I know with dogs, they could tail her path from that bathroom to where she was put, of course depending on using the right kind of trackers.

A very sad case. An exceptional and nice gal, and when she said no I think he blitzed her and then most likely shot her because he was known to have a gun he liked to shoot. His mental stability might come to play at trial, don't you think? Scandi

ETA: I don't know if this link is here yet"

http://www.arkcity.net/stories/010907/com_0001.shtml
Snipet
"The press release states that trackers from Arkansas City and Burden fire departments located a human female body that they believe is Sanderholm."

I think we can assume from this he did not lead them to the body.

They might be thinking "shallow grave" to be a covering of leaves and branches etc. She probably was hidden to some extent, the aerial searches didn't spot her.

How I wish that somehow she had survived, and been found yet living to be recovering in a hospital now. I didn't know her, but I consider her a member of "my" community. People must be able to live free, and such things lessen our quality of life. I wish.... I just wish. :(

Story:

Police continue investigation, prepare charges

The suspect

Police have been questioning a young adult who worked at Subway -- the location where Jodi was last seen.

Police began questioning him shortly after Jodi's disappearance and placed him in custody on outstanding charges that included bond revocation for theft and impersonating a police officer. His bail is $33,000, sheriff officials said.

Both of those incidents took place the weekend before Jodi's disappearance on Friday. The man was arrested Sunday, Dec. 31, for allegedly stealing cash from a woman's purse in Winfield, Police Chief Jerry DeVore said.

The next day, he was arrested for impersonating a police officer and disorderly conduct -- both misdemeanors -- in Ark City while trying to gain entry into a home. Police said he worked for Morris Bail Bonds, but a person who answered the phone there told the Traveler he did not.

The man was not placed in jail Jan. 1 because he complained of chest pains and was taken for medical treatment.

His next encounter with police was last weekend after Jodi's disappearance, when they re-arrested him for the impersonation charge and a disorderly conduct charge.

On Monday, an Ark City woman filed a restraining order against the man. She claims he had been stalking her by sitting outside family members' homes for hours and text messaging her every day. She also said the man threatened to pick her up for Morris Bail Bonds.

She said she was "scared, nervous, terrified" for her young daughter and "I cannot go anywhere alone. He always finds me."

The woman wrote in her complaint that the man worked at Subway.
A female who answered the phone there Tuesday said that he did work there.

The man has faced other minor charges dating back to 2004, including pending charges from November 2005 on burglary, theft and illegal possession of several substances, court records show.

He received a diversion on disorderly conduct and obstruction of the legal process charges from June 2005, records show. It is not clear if he successfully completed the diversion program.

He was given probation for reduced charges after being arrested for criminal damage to property and theft in early 2004. He violated probation and was taken into custody February of 2005, records state.

I added the red to the text for empasis.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE PUSH HIM BACK?!! WHY didn't they file restraining orders against him, and make a stalking case against him?!!! It looks as if he was harassing more than one woman, why did none of them stand up to him by seeking legal protection?! That is so heartbreaking, and frustrating to contemplate...

KatK said:
Story:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE PUSH HIM BACK?!! WHY didn't they file restraining orders against him, and make a stalking case against him?!!! It looks as if he was harassing more than one woman, why did none of them stand up to him by seeking legal protection?! That is so heartbreaking, and frustrating to contemplate...

Sounds like this one woman did file a restraining order. They never work if you have been following WS for awhile, we see this all the time. If these monsters want to proceed then you are an after the fact.

The problem is before it gets to this. Someone knows of the behavior and doesn't do enough to get help. JMO.

I'm a survivor of domestic abuse, I am lucky I got out alive. I almost fell into the trap again, after getting my own apartment and the divorce went through. I wised up though, left him, and got a restraining order against the loser (he threatened to kill me less than a block from the police station, he had confronted me, and I told him I was leaving him, and kicked him out of my apartment) who had managed to snow me for a time. The thing is, I stayed alert, REPORTED HIM if he was on my floor of the apartment complex, and changed my movement pattern. (You'd better believe I had a copy of the restraining order in my purse, which was with me at all times.) He did try to stalk me, and managed to set me up and get me kicked out of my apartment. (He lived in the same apartment complex, he "reported" me as leaving a basement door open, and things like that. He somehow won the sympathy of the apartment manager.) He did not manage to catch me alone and exact revenge however. I am still watchful when in an area of this town I know he haunts, and it's been years. Thankfully I am re-married, and I think that fellow has managed to put himself back in jail. In any case, he's not trying to make trouble for me now.

ETA: The restraining order was filed the Monday after Jodi went missing. That is part of what is making me want to yell with frustration. Part of helping is reporting guys like this, and sticking with it! It's not just for yourself, it's for anyone else he harasses too! It *isn't* too much trouble, and in the long run it betters society.

KatK said:
ETA: The restraining order was filed the Monday after Jodi went missing. That is part of what is making me want to yell with frustration. Part of helping is reporting guys like this, and sticking with it! It's not just for yourself, it's for anyone else he harasses too! It *isn't* too much trouble, and in the long run it betters society.
I totally agree, KatK. I work with domestic violence/sexual assault survivors and it is so frustrating dealing with the legal aspects. Unfortunately, most women do not report until it has become severe/life-threatening. Then they want to see them locked up, but in the eyes of the law "this is his first offense". So very discouraging. This is why I do public awareness to any and all that will listen...REPORT, REPORT, REPORT. It is the only was to stop these animals before it is too late.

KatK said:
Story:

Uh hum.... Probably because he has his rights. This is exactly what I fear everyday.
Most times people are told unfortunatley "until he does something" there is nothing they can do. I am so sorry for this family's loss. So tradgic. He was stalking those girls and he finally got his shot.

I am glad they have him. It is every parents nightmare.
Such a beautiful girl. Condolences.

Er, what? What did you mean ihadcabinfever when you said: "Probably because he has his rights."? What rights supersede the rights of a person not to be stalked or harassed?! NONE! Re-read all of the post you quoted there, I was speaking of restraining orders, and the legal sytem to prevent stalking and harassment, which was put in place to help prevent predators raping and killing people. People say a restraining order is worthless. That isn't entirely true. If you want to be free of your harasser, or abuser you must work the system! You must stick to your guns, and keep at it. Sometimes it isn't enough, true, and the woman dies. Other times (from my own personal experience) it is enough, and the woman finds a life free from her abuser.

I don't think Ihadscabinfever meant that statement as it was taken. If there ever was a poster who does her best to fight for the victim and hunt within her means for those sickos who violate women and then leave them dead alongside the road, it is Ihadcabinfever. And she has a tiger of an agenda but a very soft heart when it comes to protecting the victims.

Actually it has always angered me that during a trial, the past criminal history of a perp is never allowed to be known by the jury as it is prejudicial.

Our legal system bends over to protect the perp, even up to the whole range of appeals given as an automatic, before they can push that fluid into his veins.

In my experience any gal who has had such problems to warrant putting a restraining order in place better find another way to solve the problem. If he is that determined to do you harm he will find a way. So what you really have is the perp being given a higher right than the victim. He is put on notice. He calls the shots. The victim waits in fear for what might happen. It is not a good solution to the problem. I have been there.

Hopefully justice wins in the end. I think the victim has to struggle much more than the perp ever does because of the rights afforded to them by the system.

Well, and to be fully frank scandi, the survivor of abuse has a harder row to hoe because their self esteem is in the gutter too. Fighting to accept yourself and value yourself while you grow a backbone and try to go on with your daily life isn't pretty... I see now what ihadcabinfever was trying to convey. I still say though, that we must continue to encourage people to work the system, and do what we can to improve it. Maybe others did file restraining orders (other than the one at Steve's blog who said they were the person who filed the sexual assault charges that got the suspect kicked off the football team) and that will come out. If that is the case, than the ball that was dropped has caused the whole community a lot of pain. :(

Amen Katk, I do agree with you that we have to work within the system. So I think what is in order is to change the system so it isn't tipped one way, seemingly always in favor of the perp.

ihadcabinfever said:
Uh hum.... Probably because he has his rights. This is exactly what I fear everyday.
Most times people are told unfortunatley "until he does something" there is nothing they can do. I am so sorry for this family's loss. So tradgic. He was stalking those girls and he finally got his shot.

I am glad they have him. It is every parents nightmare.
Such a beautiful girl. Condolences.
I get what you are saying, ihadcabinfever. Remember the Yvette Cade case? She tried to get some protection from her husband (during divorce proceedings) but the judge refused. The husband ended up going to her office and setting her on fire. She lived, thankfully.

I have heard about other cases like this too where restraining orders are hard to get.

This is just SO sad. :(

Second protection order filed today[?] by a woman in Sumner county.
Got this off of kwch.com Go to 'Justice for Jodi' story link to read the article.

Faythe

KatK said:
Er, what? What did you mean ihadcabinfever when you said: "Probably because he has his rights."? What rights supersede the rights of a person not to be stalked or harassed?! NONE! Re-read all of the post you quoted there, I was speaking of restraining orders, and the legal sytem to prevent stalking and harassment, which was put in place to help prevent predators raping and killing people. People say a restraining order is worthless. That isn't entirely true. If you want to be free of your harasser, or abuser you must work the system! You must stick to your guns, and keep at it. Sometimes it isn't enough, true, and the woman dies. Other times (from my own personal experience) it is enough, and the woman finds a life free from her abuser.

Sorry if I confused you KatK I was just thinking about the situation with my daughter and her friends that were getting blocked calls at their work place. Disgusting scary dialogue . They thought it was a teenager from the high school but it turned out to be a 47 year old man. Apparently since he got a lawyer the police can no longer question him. He was doing it to another shop and forgot to block his number.
I was told and I quote "Unfortunatley until he does something there is nothing we can do" . So I live in a constant state of worry.
The Police told me I cannot have his name? Or my daughters statement.
So when I read this my heart sank.
The guy doing this is a Tow Truck driver for a living. Imagine that.He probably has moved onto some other poor victims. These girls ages are 16 and 17 ,my daughters one friend stayed at our house until the end of the school year,she was so afraid to be home at night alone.
My heart breaks for this family.
I keep thinking what could be done to change things and I think it would be a start at the State Department of education to impliment a Mandatory Self Defense course and awareness program that goes beyond say no to drugs and good touch bad touch.Thats great at the Elementary level but when you get to the Middle School and High School level I am starting to think it should be just more than STD's and Date Rape.
There are so many teens using My Space and are really very unaware what the real dangers are that lurk.It is the information age and we are evolving with it. I think it's time that Law Enforcement ,if they don't have the tool yet have acsess to disable a page the minute they see something questionable.
The first time I saw my daughters page 2 years ago I was freaked out,she had her sports her school her jersey number and pictures. Hobbies ect.

Our Police Department here knows the majority of our kids on a first name basis . They are very involved in our schools and I am greatful for that.
That give me a little peace of mind.
If we can't round up all the monsters that lurk we need to educate the kids so they have atleast the skills of self defense to fight someone off and that has to be taught by a professional.I am not worried she will not play volleyball for one marking period.
We need change and it must come through the school.
Because after all that with the my space page she and her friends forgot and used that spirit paint and she spray painted her name on her fender.
Kids forget easy and let their guard down .
I think the answer lies in Education.Knowledge is power. Power in numbers. Don't go out alone. Get off the cell phone.Pay attention.
This is so heart breaking. Sorry for rambling. I just feel really bad for this family.

Your story struck me. I too, when I was younger received harassing sick phone calls at my place of employment. Police put a trace on the phone, and caught the scum. His court appointed lawyer was also a state senator. He got the puke off. The puke then went on to rape a local elementary school teacher who was 7 months pregnant. He beat her up. Then, he went on to a gymnasium, tried to attack a gymnast, who kicked the crap out of him. He got 25 years. He has been in the system since he was 13. (He raped his 4 year old cousin then. Got out at 18, and that's when he started the phone calls to me. I remember him from 7th grade, when I asked the teacher to reassign me from the seating arrangement....he kept touch my rear.) Alas, he will no doubt be paroled. What an oxymoron, when "life in prison" means a get out of jail free card.
Stay safe, and take care. Sorry about the weirdo bothering your area.
Sorry to go off topic about this tragedy. Prayers for all.

It is not my intention to cast blame anywhere or hurt anyones feelings. I have a teenage daughter and she was being stalked by a creepy creep. My daugter was a life guard at our city pool that's where this creep started his interaction with my daughter well he thought he was anyway. My daughter told me this creep was bothering her saying sexual things to her, looking at her all the time, trying to talk and flirt with her. He even asked her for a ride to his house from the pool. Anyway to make along story short my daughter told me about what this creep was doing. I didn't go get a restraining order I took matters in my own hands. It's my duty to protect my daughter at any cost. I found this creep and let him have it. I told him, well I didn't tell him I screamed at him and told him he better not ever bother my daughter again or I would have him arrested. He knew I meant it to cuz he never bothered my daughter again. The sad part of this story is the creep did move on to another girl and raped her. He is now in jail. Why didn't any of the parents of the girls being stalked intervene? My heart goes out to all and what they have endured. I live in a small town by Ark City and bad things do happen in small towns.

Alot of times parents do intervene but some of the kids/teens/young adults these days have no respect for authority or a girls parents. And sometimes the parents can be the ones who end up in jail for harrasing the stalker. Oh yes stalkers have rights people!.. :doh:

Yes the criminals have more rights then the victim. I was sexually harrased by a guy I knew most of my life. The harrasment went on for years. I could handle the stupid sexual comments he made to me for years. Then one day he grabbed my breasts. I was on my way to the doctor that day as I was very sick. Someone yelled at me to stop. I didn't know who it was so I stopped and it was the guy who had been harrasing me for years. He reached in my car and grabbed my breasts and shook them up and down. I was so sick, I was kinda out of it I was really sick. I didn't react. I just drove away and went to the doctor. At the doctor I was crying my eyes out. The doc kept asking me what was wrong I just said I am really sick and I am tired of it. I didn't tell him the real reason I was crying. I thought I could handle what happened to me myself. WRONG. I couldn't get it out of my mind what this creep did to me. I couldn't sleep. I finally had to get some sleep medicine from the doctor. This incident really bothered me. So I went to the chief of police and told him all about the creep harrasing me for years and that he grabbed my breasts. The chief said that was sexual battery. I was asked if I wanted to press charges. I said yes then the chief said let me explain something to you. He told me since it was my word against his a he said she said case. That I was going to have to get 12 jurors to believe me and if their was one juror who didn't that was it. I wouldn't win. The chief told me if I did win the case the creep would probably get probation and community service. To me the punishment being probation and community service didn't fit what he did to me. I was shocked. This creep touched me without my consent.Probation give me a break. It does seem as if the criminals do have more rights. The chief told me I have 2 years to press charges if I want. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that might brighten my aspect on persuing this case. I would be very thankful. Like I said in my other post things do happen in small towns. God Bless You Jodi

Jodi,

Can you nose around a little bit and see if this guy has harassed anyone else?
Two are more powerful than one.

He may be a sicko or just an a$$ that knows he can pick on you. My first husband had a friend that acted like that, I finally slapped him across the face. Hard. He stopped, but I was lucky, he could have physically hurt me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazy_visitor
Back