Identified! KS - Kansas City, human remains in 55-gal drum, May'10 - Raechelle Wilson

I was hoping to hear they Id'ed the woman. Hopefully soon.

Here's the jewelry bigger:
jewelrylarge.jpg

On third ring-wedding band, it looks like dried blood. All of them are worn out, they need to dipping in for shine.

Body remains unidentified

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Wyandotte County authorities have been working since May to identify female remains that turned up in a 55-gallon barrel in the northeast Kansas county.
The barrel containing the skeletal remains was found in a wooded area in Kansas City, Kan. There wasn't much more in the barrel other than the bones, a dark wig, some jewelry and other items.
Officials have determined the woman was between the ages of 33 to 56, about 5 feet 6, and of both white and Asian ancestry. They estimate she was killed between September 1995 and 2006. Officials have not released the cause of death.
Police last month released photos of the jewelry, which consisted of three rings and a necklace. But so far there haven't been any helpful leads.

http://cjonline.com/news/state/2010-07-14/body_remains_unidentified

Body remains unidentified

KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Wyandotte County authorities have been working since May to identify female remains that turned up in a 55-gallon barrel in the northeast Kansas county.
The barrel containing the skeletal remains was found in a wooded area in Kansas City, Kan. There wasn't much more in the barrel other than the bones, a dark wig, some jewelry and other items.
Officials have determined the woman was between the ages of 33 to 56, about 5 feet 6, and of both white and Asian ancestry. They estimate she was killed between September 1995 and 2006. Officials have not released the cause of death.
Police last month released photos of the jewelry, which consisted of three rings and a necklace. But so far there haven't been any helpful leads.​

I would say Catherine Clampitt, but Catherine was much shorter.

Catherine F. Clampitt
clampitt_catherine.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/clampitt_catherine.html

I would say Catherine Clampitt, but Catherine was much shorter.

Catherine F. Clampitt
clampitt_catherine.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/clampitt_catherine.html

While talking to Capt. Solomon Young of the KCPD about a separate matter, the subject of this case came up.

We were talking about the possible connection John Edward Robinson, and I mentioned that Catherine Clampitt looked like a good possible at first, but she was probably too short. He looked at his notes and said that she had been ruled-out.

He said that he thought only one of the three women (Lisa Stasi) was still missing, and as he recalls, all the other women were found. I said that this would be news to me because both Charley Project and Doe Network still list them as missing. I asked him to verify that, and let me know if that was true. He started to check to see what his records said, but we got sidetracked onto something else.

He also was mentioning that Catherine Clampitt went missing well before the earliest possible date of the murders (based on artifacts found in the barrel with the remains).

This case wasn't the purpose of the call, so I wasn't quite prepared with good questions about this case, and consequently, I neglected to ask what the basis was for the rule-out. The the DLC discrepancy would make Catherine Clampitt very unlikely, but would not rule her out positively. Of course, if she was already located, that would rule her out. But I'd be interested in knowing the basis for the rule-out so I could see whether their basis for ruling her out was a valid one.

When I speak with him again, I will ask again whether all three women are still missing, and what the basis was for ruling out Catherine Clampitt.

Here's Jean McKinney, from rural Pearcy, Arkansas http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1296dfar.html

She's a trifle too short, and probably died in 1983 when she disappeared, which seems to be quite a bit before the probably date of death.

On the other hand, she liked to wear wigs, was probably wearing a blond one when she disappeared, and may have been removed from her home in a barrel.

Too many things that don't match up (e.g., She doesn't appear to be Asian, and She wore a full set of dentures, which is not mentioned for this case)

Too many things that don't match up (e.g., She doesn't appear to be Asian, and She wore a full set of dentures, which is not mentioned for this case)

Ah, I missed the dentures. Yes, I'm sure that would have been mentioned and that takes it from improbably long shot to rule-out...

Okay so the (more current?) article with the photos of the rings and necklace says:

her age is between 33 and 56 (rather than 20 - 40)

white AND Asian ancestry

They estimate she was killed between September 1995 and 2006.

Hmmmm. I was looking for someone that was younger until I read that.

ETA-link to article with first two bolded above:
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/15/2085925/police-hope-items-will-help-identify.html
and
link to article with all three bolded above:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9979

Case Report - NamUs UP # 9979

Case Information
Case number L10-05-021
Date found May 07, 2010 05:00
Date created March 07, 2012 11:41
Date last modified March 07, 2012 12:10
Date QA reviewed March 07, 2012 13:12

Local Medical Examiner/Coroner Contact
Name Erik Mitchell
Agency Atchison County Coroner's Office
Phone 913-299-1533
Email kwhite@mlmh.net

Case Manager
Name Chris Berry
Email coroner@frontierforensics.com

Demographics
Estimated age Adult - Pre 60
Minimum age 24 years
Maximum age 56 years
Race White
Sex Female
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) 66, Estimated

Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)
All major parts of human skeleton recovered

Body conditions
Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probable year of death: 1993 to 2005
Estimated postmortem interval: Years

Circumstances
Location Found
Address 1 1727 N 51st Terrace
Address 2
City Kansas City
State Kansas
County Wyandotte

Circumstances of death:
Skeletonized human body wrapped in a blanket tied with cables and in a barrel with detritus and cement. The barrel was found by utility workers as they cleared trees away from power lines in a wooded area near a creek in a residential area.

Physical
Hair color Brown
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finger and toe nails: artificial fingernails

Fingerprints
Fingerprint information is currently not available
Comments: skeletonized remains

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing and accessories are described below

Clothing with body: black and green women's panties tied around hair
Footwear
Jewelry: one gold or white metal band, two white or silver metal rings and necklace
Other items found with body: miscellaneous trash and concrete

Dental
Dental information / charting is available (see link)
Photographs available

One or more teeth present
Filling or crown present
Upper jaw present
Lower jaw present

Other features (describe in dental comments)
Comments All restorations are amalgam. The restorations are small. The dentition shows no wear facets or abfractions.

--------------------------------------------------------------
DNA
Complete and entered below
Type: mtDNA & nucDNA
Describe location: Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Forensic Science Laboratory, St. Paul, MN
Reference # S10-18729
Lab ORI S10-18729
Comments mtDNA profile entered into National Missing Persons DNA Database (NMPDD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Images of Jewelry and Hair with banding at link

What do you think for a possible match?

Star Hurtie https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/390/7/

Right age range, height, time frame, hair color, and lived in the same county that Jane Doe was found. She does not have DNA on file according to profile therefore no match in the system.... The circumstances of her disappearance sound like they might fit as well...

I think Star is worth submitting as a possibility Wanting2Help!

I submitted Star as a possible match to this UID via Kansas City PD website. I will post if I hear anything back...

I just received an email from the Kansas City PD regarding this Jane Doe...

The remains you referenced from NamUs #9979 were recently matched by DNA to another missing person. I sent a request to NamUs to have the entry removed to avoid future confusion. Thank you for assistance and dedication as a volunteer.

I wonder who she is?

I tried to find a name at the Social Security Death Index for Kansas City in May 2010. there was only one overtly Asian name and that was Shoua Xia Yang who died on May 1 at the age of 62. I Googled that name and there is no indication that Yang was ever missing (I am assuming that name to be female).

I have a rough idea: Raechelle Jeanann Wilson, who was 24 years old and about 5'8". This update is from the Charley Project, which in turn got the information from NamUs:

Wilson, 24, disappeared from Olathe, Kansas sometime in July 1995. She was located in May 2012; further details are unavailable.

The match isn't perfect but it isn't completely off, and the timing of the updates are synchronous. This missing person is in fact no longer listed in NamUs, although other resources are not yet updated (eg. Doe Network):

http://doenetwork.org/cases/1496dfks.html

I think you could be right. Raechelle was Persian, and probably would fit the Caucasian/Asian description that they had given of the Jane Doe.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back