KS - Layne Mays, 22, murdered by her brother, 27, Overland Park 14 Jan 2020

Jewels53

Reaction score
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- We're learning more about the murder of an Overland Park woman that occurred Tuesday afternoon.

Officers were called to a suspicious death in the upscale Lionsgate neighborhood near 151st and Nall, but later determined a woman had been murdered.

Police are calling it a crime of domestic violence, and sources tell FOX4 two children of the family who lived in the home are at the center of it all.

Crime tape still surrounded the Overland Park home Wednesday as detectives continued searching for evidence.

Overland Park police say 22-year-old Layne Mays was killed in her home. Mays' mother was the one who found her and alerted authorities.

On Tuesday evening, a 27-year-old man, who we're told is Mays' brother, was booked into the Johnson County jail for her murder. FOX4 is not naming the man as he has not been formally charged with the crime yet.

Overland Park woman killed at home was victim of domestic violence, police say

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — A 27-year-old Overland Park man is now facing charges in the alleged murder of his sister.

Parker John Mays was charged Thursday with premeditated first-degree murder in Johnson County in the death of 22-year-old Layne Mays.

As of Thursday evening, Parker Mays was being held on $1 million cash or surety bond in the Johnson County Jail, online records indicate. He was scheduled to appear in court Friday afternoon.

According to her obituary from a Kansas City-area funeral home, Layne Rebecca Mays enjoyed riding on the equestrian team as a student at Kansas State University.

“Layne was also a talented cellist and painter — especially fond of recreating scenes from films by Walt Disney,” the obituary says.

She is survived by her mother, father, sister and brother Parker Mays; she also had a horse, Austin, and a cat, Ariel, according to the obituary.

Man once arrested at Lawrence ‘Defend the Flag’ rally now charged with Overland Park murder

Killed by a brother whose claim to fame was as having been the ONLY person arrested after a “defend the flag” rally (the description of which makes it pretty clear that white nationalism/white supremacy was a prominent theme of the event) held in 2018 in Lawrence KS. So I’m wondering (truly, this is just hypothetical as I’ve not read much about the victim yet) if this young woman might have become the target of her brother’s ire for “lifestyle choices” he disagreed with—for example, being in a relationship with a non-white person or a non-male person, both of which would’ve been anathema to anyone sympathetic to WS/WN ideologies. I hope this isn’t the case, and that maybe the motive is just as “simple” as mental illness or extreme sibling rivalry/jealousy, but the reporting on his involvement in that rally definitely raised the possibility in my mind.

MOO/IMO

As of Thursday evening, Parker Mays was being held on $1 million cash or surety bond in the Johnson County Jail, online records indicate. He was scheduled to appear in court Friday afternoon.

According to her obituary from a Kansas City-area funeral home, Layne Rebecca Mays enjoyed riding on the equestrian team as a student at Kansas State University.

“Layne was also a talented cellist and painter — especially fond of recreating scenes from films by Walt Disney,” the obituary says.

She is survived by her mother, father, sister and brother Parker Mays; she also had a horse, Austin, and a cat, Ariel, according to the obituary.

Man once arrested at Lawrence ‘Defend the Flag’ rally now charged with Overland Park murder

his previous mugshot is at that link

Killed by a brother whose claim to fame was as having been the ONLY person arrested after a “defend the flag” rally (the description of which makes it pretty clear that white nationalism/white supremacy was a prominent theme of the event) held in 2018 in Lawrence KS. So I’m wondering (truly, this is just hypothetical as I’ve not read much about the victim yet) if this young woman might have become the target of her brother’s ire for “lifestyle choices” he disagreed with—for example, being in a relationship with a non-white person or a non-male person, both of which would’ve been anathema to anyone sympathetic to WS/WN ideologies. I hope this isn’t the case, and that maybe the motive is just as “simple” as mental illness or extreme sibling rivalry/jealousy, but the reporting on his involvement in that rally definitely raised the possibility in my mind.

MOO/IMO

I'm gonna go with mental illness/drugs

although he looks like he finds something humorous in his mugshot and I don't know what's humorous about murdering one's sister

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with mental illness/drugs

although he looks like he finds something humorous in his mugshot and I don't know what's humorous about murdering one's sister
I believe in reading the article from the Lawrence Journal World the mugshot is from the incident in the defending of the flag arrest.

Friday, January 17th:
*Initial Appearance (@ pm CT) – KS – Layne Rebecca Mays (22) (Jan. 14, 2020, Overland Park) - *Parker John Mays (27) (bro) arrested & booked (1/14/20) & charged (1/16/20) with premeditated 1st degree murder. $1M cash or surety bond.
1/17/20 Initial appearance scheduled.

I wonder what caused him to get all of the marks on his face? Did they get in a scuffle or a fight? I guess time will tell.

Mays-Parker.jpg

20CR00137 - MAYS, PARKER JOHN

01/17/2020 COUNT 1 21-5402(a)(1) PLAINTIFF APPEARS BY MENDENHALL,DEFENDANT APPEARS IN CUSTODY PRO SE ,APPOINT PUBLIC DEFENDER CADE,ADMINISTRATIVE FEE ORDERED OF $ 100,READING WAIVED ,DEFENDANT ORDERED TO PERSONALLY APPEAR AT NEXT COURT HEARING (DWV)(ER)

01/17/2020 SCHED. NO GO PRELIM HEARING on 01/23/20,10:30am,Div 8

01/17/2020 DEFENSE ATTORNEY PUBLIC DEFENDER, APPOINTED

01/17/2020 SCHED. FIRST APPEARANCE on 01/17/20,01:30pm,Div M4

01/16/2020 CANCELLED FIRST APPEARANCE on 01/17/20,01:30pm,DivM4

01/16/2020 FILE STAMP 01/16/20, AFFIDAVIT
01/16/2020 FILE STAMP 01/16/20, COMPLAINT, INITIATION OF ACTION

01/16/2020 SCHED. FA ON 01/17/20, 01:30pm, DIV M4
01/16/2020 SET BOND CONDITION: ELECTRONIC MONITORING; NO USE OF ILLEGAL DRUGS OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES/SUBMIT TO TESTING WHEN DIRECTED BY COURT; NO ALCOHOL; NO FIREARMS; NO CONTACT VICTIM(S)/WITNESSES, THEIR RESIDENCE/ EMPLOYMENT WHETHER OR NOT THEY POST BOND

01/16/2020 SET BOND $1,000,000 CA-SU
01/16/2020 JUDGE CHARLES DROEGE ASSIGNED TO CASE, DIVISION 8

01/16/2020 INITIAL CHARGE(S) 21-5402(a)(1) PREMED MURD 1ST FILED

01/16/2020 CASE E-FILED; AGENCY OPPD RPT# 20-000858

CASE HISTORY (ROA)

@Niner

The quote that she cherished at the end of the obituary just makes this all the more sad.

thumbnail_resize_637146994707149496.jpg

Layne would like us all to remember her with the following quote she so cherished: “Family, where life begins, and love never ends”.

Porter Funeral Home

Yes and she was a very beautiful woman!

I hope she is at peace now!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member