KS KS - Star Hurtie Boomer, 39, Kansas City, 23 Feb 1999

I wish someone would be a pod cast. One of the podcast where they get the police notes and witness statements and stick them up in a forum. This case seems like a few people know what happen and a Podcast might appeal to the locals to help with tips.
I would like to see one too. Maybe message her missing page about the idea and offer some suggested podcasters?

Star Boomer is Missing

AUG 7, 2019
MISSING IN KANSAS: Star Boomer
A missing-person mystery for more than 20 years.

• Star was last seen on Feb. 23, 1999, at Uncle Mike’s Bar at 49th and Metropolitan in Kansas City, Kansas. Google Maps
  • Witnesses say she was involved in a violent altercation with a man, who is believed to be a life-long criminal with a history of hurting women.
  • Star was knocked to the ground and lost consciousness.
  • Two men were charged with second-degree murder of Star, but the case was dismissed.
  • The State of KS is offering a $5,000 Governor’s Reward for information leading to the arrest or prosecution of the person responsible for what happened to Star.

Police spent hours Monday digging near a home in Kansas City, Kansas in search of a woman who's been missing for 20 years.

Detectives have been searching at a home near South 49th Street and Barber Avenue, just south of Metropolitan Avenue.

Detectives reopened the case of Star Boomer about a year ago. She vanished on the evening on Feb. 23, 1999. There isn't new information but they wanted to take some time digging up a lot here behind this barrier.

Police say South 49th Street will be closed from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. daily, between Barber and Douglas, to thru traffic, while officers are conducting the search.

According to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation website, “Investigators believe several individuals may have knowledge and information to help solve this crime.” At this time, there hasn’t been enough evidence to proceed with an arrest or prosecution.

KCK police search area, looking for woman who vanished 20 years ago

Kansas City, Kansas police conduct search after 1999 cold case reopened

Investigators are going back to the home where Star Boomer lived when she vanished in 1999. To do that, they’re shutting down a block of South 49th Street from Douglas to Barber Avenue. Police will be on site daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Noting:

The now empty lot was once a residence where Boomer stayed off and on with a boyfriend at the time. ...

[…]

Police reopened this case in 2017. Since then, they say they haven’t received many new leads.

But now, with help from the University of Kansas, police are using ground-penetrating radar at different locations in the case. Though the images do not point exactly what is under the soil, police will use resources to hopefully close the case.

Detectives found what they call an anomaly in the lot where Boomer’s house used to be. They’re working to find out exactly what that is.

I’m brand new here, but have been following the recent searches for Star. Did anyone see this news story from today?

KCK police continue third straight day of digging for remains of missing woman

The man named in the report quoting that her body is in a cave and that he watched her get dragged out the back door that night. He seems to have a lot of information for someone who says they don’t have any information on the case. I just found this very curious.

I’m brand new here, but have been following the recent searches for Star. Did anyone see this news story from today?

KCK police continue third straight day of digging for remains of missing woman

The man named in the report quoting that her body is in a cave and that he watched her get dragged out the back door that night. He seems to have a lot of information for someone who says they don’t have any information on the case. I just found this very curious.
Welcome to Websleuths, User45. It's good to have you here and I hadn't seen the article, so thank you!

Sad to hear that her sister passed without Star being found. :(

Noting from the article:

[…]

Davenport believes the whispers that have swirled for decades that Boomer is somewhere in a cave. But cadaver dogs smell something on the lot located in KCK which is where a house once stood that was connected to someone who knew Boomer. Radar indicated something strange below the concrete that was the basement.

[…]

Boomer’s sister recently died and family would love to have the sisters buried together. Boomer’s mother believes she will be found at this empty lot where the house once stood.

[…]

KCK detectives told KCTV5 News that they got the basement level down to how they needed it, but they will continue to search the area this week.

“Now that we know we have a basement floor, and the walls still exist that separated the garage from the rest of the house, we were able to get the garage area completely down to the level we needed it. And we finished that up today. And now we'll move into where the house was, and the basement level into the house, so we'll do that in two maybe three sections,” KCK Detective Tiffany Bergdorf said.

DEC 3, 2019
[…]

Several witnesses are still alive. And earlier this year one of them gave police a tip about the empty lot in the 1700 block of South 49th Street.

[…]

The family was notified of the excavation last Saturday at the memorial service of Cynthia Hurtie, Boomer’s sister, who died in October, according to an obituary.

Star Boomer search.jpg

[…]

This week investigators began the excavation by plotting out a 6 by 12 grid where anomalies were identified and marking specific spots with different colored string. Using heavy equipment and digging by hand, they have scoured the lot, finding debris from when the house was demolished and an unusual amount of sand. They have shuffled back-and-forth between the site and their office to analyze what they were seeing.

[…]

1737 S 49th St, Kansas City, KS 66106: Google Maps

DEC 4, 2019
Mother of Star Boomer says ‘they are going to find her’
[…]

This week’s search down below into the basement of a former home that Star Boomer once lived in is giving her mother much needed hope.

“Happy because I know they are going to find her. It's coming,” Hurtie said.

Hurtie just wishes her other daughter Cyndy Hurtie was still alive to see what is unfolding.

[…]

Cyndy died this October. She dedicated most of her life to finding her sister, Boomer. She became a private investigator and forensic technician.

[…]

Fast forward to Wednesday night, Hurtie is now waiting for a phone call from KCK detectives. Investigators reached the basement level Wednesday of the demolished home they are searching. So far, they’ve only collected some cloth. Right now, it is unclear if it is connected to Boomer’s case.

“Now that we are at concrete level for the basement, it will be a little bit easier for them to run the ground penetrating radar on the flat ground versus just the dirt and soil where we were at today,” Tiffany Bergdorf, Detective with the KCK Police Department, said.

[…]

“God is going to give us peace and finally we can rest with that and go on with our lives like she would want us to do. She would want us to be happy,” Hurtie said.

[…]

Last edited:
DEC 4, 2019
Convicted killer Shon Pernice says he was questioned in Star Boomer disappearance
Shon Pernice lived in a house in the area where Star Boomer lived and right around the same time she was frequently seen. KCTV5 News talked to him on the phone from prison about the developments.

[…]

Shon Pernice, who was a medic at the time, says he grabbed a first aid kit from home and treated Boomer’s arm injury. It’s believed Shon Pernice was one of the last people who ever saw her alive.

[…]

In the years since Shon Pernice has been in prison, detectives have traveled to talk with him more about Boomer. They addressed that fact at Tuesday’s press conference.

“Detective Carpenter and I did interview him since he’s been in prison, so he is a witness, but at this point, he is not a suspect,” KCK Detective Tiffany Bergdorf said.

[…]

“I always wondered, like, where they buried her or where they put her. We had some ideas because the individuals that allegedly did this, I remember that they came back to the bar and they were covered in dust from like, a rock quarry, is what we originally thought,” Shon Pernice said.

[…]

Investigators still digging at KCK site in Star Boomer case
Police said Wednesday that they did not uncover any new evidence at the site of Boomer's former home. Authorities received a tip last spring that her body could be buried there.

DEC 6, 2019
Star Boomer’s remains not found at investigation dig site
[…]

The news was devastating to the family of Boomer, who were really hoping for answers, though that does not appear to be the case.

Police had a tip that Boomer was buried beneath the concrete of a house where a person connected to the missing woman lived. A cadaver dog sent to the scene indicated it smelled something, and radar showed something below the foundation, some sort of abnormality.

It does not appear that anything has been found, though. Some items have been collected, but detectives emphasize that’s just as a precaution.

[…]

Even though it doesn’t appear that investigators are any closer to finding Boomer remains, the attention from this week might be helpful in this case.

[…]

DEC 6, 2019
No human remains found at excavated site in KCK
[…]

Investigators said they reached the area they were working to get to and did not find any evidence.

[…]

Ground-penetrating radar showed something was down there and reaction from a cadaver dog prompted them to search under the concrete.

A spokesperson for the police department said that after a week of digging, investigators are ready to move on.

Screenshot (42).png Screenshot (45).png

JUN 22, 2021
Victims' families join push for cold case unit in KCK Police Department
[...]

So far more than 100 people have signed a petition that calls for a cold case unit to be operational by January 2022.

“It’s like they put their cases in a file and just threw them in a firepit like those people don’t even exist and the family don’t matter. The family does matter. They need a piece of mind,” LA said.

LA is a relative of Star Boomer. The 39-year-old was last seen in February 1999 at a bar near 49th Street and Metropolitan Avenue.

[...]

A spokesperson for the KCK Police Department said a cold case unit is on newly sworn-in Chief Karl Oakman’s list, and he’s also targeting it for 2022.

Trace Evidence just released a podcast on Star. He always does very thorough, deep dives. I haven't listened yet.

This case is simply shocking. It really speaks to the worst of humanity that 13 people were witnesses to a brutal killing, and have continued to remain silent. Even worse that this violence took place in two separate instances.

As an aside, I know Kansas City pretty well, both MO and KCK. I've never had cause to go to this area, and Google map images give me the willies. It's hard to picture where a bar would even exist in this strange desolate area.

I'm also kind of stuck on the witness statements that the killers returned to the bar after disposing of Star's body. So the killers left and returned several times and nobody did anything?! What on earth:(o_O:eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back