KY - Justin Mozer, 6 wks, mauled to death by dog, Lexington, 18 Jan 2008

Indy, when you have the baby, have your bf take the cap home to the dogs. The doctors will put a cap on the baby right away. This is important. Tell him to give it to the dogs so they will recognize the smell when the baby comes home. Also, be careful about alienating the dogs, let them smell the baby so they know what it is or their curiousity could get the best of them. (Of course, never let them do this when you're not holding the baby)
My hubby gave my boys the cap and we let them smell the baby so they wouldn't be so curious. A friend of mine made her dog stay in another room all the time and he became extremely jealous of the baby and never learned the "pack" order. He ended up nipping the baby later.

ETA: Don't be surprised if they tear the cap to shreds either. My boys took it and my rottie layed down on it and was trying to roll all over it.

IG - I agree with what Lurker said. It's very important that the dogs learn the baby's scent and for you not to isolate them. Bringing a baby home is a big adjustment for dogs. They need to know that they are still loved, a valued member of the family, and are not being replaced. Also, don't let the baby play with their toys and vice versa. Don't let baby play in an area that is normally considered the dogs area (pet bed, crate, etc). They need to know that they have a place that is theirs that they can retreat too if baby becomes too much to handle.

Another thing to do... when you and baby go home have your BF carry the baby and you go in first. Love on your dogs, show them attention and then bring the baby in. Let them sniff the baby (under a very watchful eye). Once they realize the baby means no harm they will go on their merry way. We have 4 dogs. When we brought our first child home they were very inquisitive but got over it. Actually, one of our weiner dogs became protective of the baby. My MIL bent down to kiss her while she was in her bouncy chair. Willie jumped in between my DD and MIL. It was funny and shocking at the same time. We have a picture of Willie resting his head on the bouncy chair while DD was sleeping in it. :) By the time we brought our 3rd baby home they all just looked at us like "dear Lord, another one?!" :crazy:

Another thing to do... when you and baby go home have your BF carry the baby and you go in first. Love on your dogs, show them attention and then bring the baby in. Let them sniff the baby (under a very watchful eye). Once they realize the baby means no harm they will go on their merry way.

Exactly! I forgot that part!!! They'll already be missing you after your stay in the hospital so definitely go in alone first and let your BF carry the baby. That will give them some time to say hello to you without the added mystery of the "newcomer."

Thank you for this great advice:blowkiss: I would have never known!

my first baby was my black lab mix, and with each child we gave him the baby's first blanket from the hospital before the child came home. Of course, black labs melt like butter with kids, but he was never completely happy until he had bathed each child from neck to toes to make them smell like him....and you can be assured that this did not happen while they were infants, lol!!! But you get the idea...the key is also making sure that you spend sufficient time with the dogs once you get home with baby so they do not feel replaced, but they also understand the new pecking order so to speak. And never, ever leave the kids alone with the dog, no matter how much you think you know the animal...

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas. My granddaughter who is 22 is having a baby girl on the 30th and she has the mother to my rat terrier Sammy. Good ideas for both of us. Zoe, her dog is hyper and used to being the center of attention. Sammy is laid back but really jealous of my attention. I'll be watching the baby a couple days a week when Tasha goes back to work so I'll use these ideas too. I would die if anything happened to that baby girl while in my care...or anyone elses for that matter.

One of our neighbors has one of these annoying hyper dogs and it won't ever shut-up! The dog got out of the house and bit one of our neighbor girls in the leg. For no reason at all.. it was a big stink in our neighborhood for awhile. Me personally I would get rid of the dog but she won't so we will see what happens next...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa
Back