KY KY - Kelly Hollan, 6, Hindman, 13 Feb 1982

Maybe that's one of those things that never makes into the circulation of facts in this case. Everything never completely comes out in any investigation until the end. I know that I've never seen anything about it in the published stuff.

That actually sounds like a very good possibility.

Me again. Found this post at Topix: http://www.topix.com/forum/state/in/T8U6VL0A1QKRM6E32

"i need help any one from Telehassee Flordia our family have been searching our newhew who has been missing since feb 13 1982 from Himan ky he has not been seen since he is around 30 years old now his name is Kelly hollan jr he could be going by kelly weeks his step dad is fro Telehassee flordia god dont want me to give up on him nowhe has a scaron the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip he was born with a cleft palate and has a speech problem if any knows any thing please let me know Loyde Weeks jake weeks Jane Weeks we only want to know if he is alright his mother name is Judy Moore Hollan if he is alive please call ky state police 18002225555 also he was born nov 17 1975 in Hazard ky to Bobby and Judy Moore Hollanyou can write me at Dorothy Noble 590 west cherry st Austin Ind 47102we just want to know if he is alive we love and miss him he is our family"

I'm a bit confused here -- it says that Kelly's father is named Bobby Hollan. Yet Kelly is named Kelly Hollan Jr. Aren't juniors always given the same name as their fathers?

Megs. I sent you a PM about this post.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/81588.html

2 Jan 10

On a snowy day in 1982, 6-year-old Kelly Junior Hollan vanished from Pine Tree Hollow in Knott County.

His mother, Judy Moore, told police that her son went out to play and she never saw him again.

Though Kelly Hollan has been missing for almost 28 years, an aggressive police investigation, inquiries by family members, and internet forums keep the case alive.

The latest tip came on Dec. 18, when Kelly's sister Margaret Campbell, who was only 10 when he disappeared on Feb. 12, 1982, told Letcher County Sheriff Danny Webb that her mother's sister, who recently died, might have left behind a letter with some information about the missing boy.

Campbell said Tuesday that her maternal aunt told her she was leaving a letter, "but we don't know if it's true."

Webb, a former Kentucky State Police lieutenant who worked in Knott County, was on the case from the beginning and investigated it for years.

"I've had a lot of cases," Webb said in an interview Wednesday. "In all my career, that's the case that bothers me the most. I followed every lead. It hasn't added up since day one."

Of the 13 cases listed for Kentucky with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Kelly's is one of only two categorized as a "non-family abduction."

But Webb and Kentucky State Police Lt. Claude Little, who is now in charge of the investigation, say they aren't sure that the classification is valid.

"I don't know what happened to him," said Little.

Read the complete story at kentucky.com

Twenty eight years ago today on February 13,1982, Kelly Junior Hollan was reported missing from Pine Tree Hollow at Larkslane, Knott County, Kentucky.

Thinking of Kelly Junior Hollan today and wondering what happened to him back in 1982.

Here is a recap concerning the circumstances surrounding Kelly Junior Hollan's disappearance.

Kelly Hollan, Jr.
Missing since February 13, 1982 from Hindman, Knott County, Kentucky.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 17, 1975
Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0" - 122 cm ; 60 lbs - 27 kg
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: He has had a speech problem since birth due to a cleft palate; some of his words are not spoken clearly. He has a scar on the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip.
Clothing: Blue jeans, a blue and white shirt, a blue jacket with hood, zipper torn at bottom and brown shoes.
AKA: Junior

Circumstances of Disappearance

On Feb. 12, 1982, Kelly's mother fixed breakfast for Kelly. They lived in Larks Lane in Pine Tree Hollow in Knott County, about five miles east of Hindman. School had been canceled because of heavy snow, and Kelly went outside to play in the front yard about 11 a.m. His mother said she watched him several times as he played, the last at 4 p.m. About 6 p.m., the mother looked outside for Kelly. She couldn't find him, so she decided to eat supper and wait for him to return.

The rescue squad was called about midnight when Kelly had not returned. Police searched for several days, thinking the child may have wandered off and frozen to death. There also are several abandoned mines in the area.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Hollan's whereabouts, please contact:

KSP Intelligence/Information Fusion Center
Missing & Exploited Children Unit
502-564-1020
502-564-5315 (fax)

or
Kentucky State Police post in Hazard
606-435-6069

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 13C82295
NCMEC Number: NCMC601735
NCIC Number: M-557449701

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Sources:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Kentucky State Police
The Doe Network: Case File 207DMKY

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/207dmky.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollan_kelly.html

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/cold_case/post13coldcase12.php

Kelly has been missing for over 30 years now.

WOW!

I think if this cases happened today, Kelly's mother would be charged with neglect. The information about school being canceled and the heavy snow, likely bitter cold, possibly below zero wind chills, and Mother just lets him play for hours and hours on end without checking up on him? Something is wrong here. Terribly wrong. Especially when his Mother eats dinner hours later without knowing where he is.

Wouldn't his Mother if concerned watch and care, have him come in for something to eat and drink? For lunch or a snack? Just to make sure that Kelly was OK. I could maybe see him playing outside for twenty minutes to thirty minutes, but than I think that a concerned Mother would certainly watch her son, and would have him come in for a change of clothes, something to eat, say, "It's too cold" Have the little boy come inside to eat and get warm, watch TV, play games, take a nap, whatever. All that time alone outside for a six year old? Something does not add up, at all.

Satch

I just watched the interview with Kelly's mother. Was she married at the time? Where is Kelly's father? If the mother isn't responsible for his disapperance, it's very sad that police are calling her a suspect.

I just watched the interview with Kelly's mother. Was she married at the time? Where is Kelly's father? If the mother isn't responsible for his disapperance, it's very sad that police are calling her a suspect.

Listening to Kelly's Mother in that interview even adds more belief to me that she is NOT credible. What do you all think?

Regards,

Satch

I found this December 1982 on Google News Archive. It says Kelly told his mother that he was going to play at a neighbours house and at 9.30pm she and the neighbour searched for him as he had never arrived at the neighbours house.

It also mentions that 8 years prior, the state ruled she was not adequately taking care of her two eldest children. Given that she was 26 in december 1982 according to the article, she must have had her eldest two children in her mid-teens perhaps. She was clearly a rather neglectful mother, sadly.

Article here - http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MSRCAAAAIBAJ&sjid=o6oMAAAAIBAJ&dq=kelly-hollan&pg=5895%2C4749075

Me again. Found this post at Topix: http://www.topix.com/forum/state/in/T8U6VL0A1QKRM6E32

"i need help any one from Telehassee Flordia our family have been searching our newhew who has been missing since feb 13 1982 from Himan ky he has not been seen since he is around 30 years old now his name is Kelly hollan jr he could be going by kelly weeks his step dad is fro Telehassee flordia god dont want me to give up on him nowhe has a scaron the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip he was born with a cleft palate and has a speech problem if any knows any thing please let me know Loyde Weeks jake weeks Jane Weeks we only want to know if he is alright his mother name is Judy Moore Hollan if he is alive please call ky state police 18002225555 also he was born nov 17 1975 in Hazard ky to Bobby and Judy Moore Hollanyou can write me at Dorothy Noble 590 west cherry st Austin Ind 47102we just want to know if he is alive we love and miss him he is our family"

I'm a bit confused here -- it says that Kelly's father is named Bobby Hollan. Yet Kelly is named Kelly Hollan Jr. Aren't juniors always given the same name as their fathers?
Regarding the names used, I was just looking through some old threads I had posted in and were bookmarked and thought I'd see if any updates online for Kelly.

When searching one of the results was rather randomly a Wrestling blog that posted screenshots of CWA Memphis Championship Wrestling televised on 22 December 1984. The blog is here - http://prowresblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/cwa-memphis-championship-wrestlingl-tv.html

I hope they don't mind me posting, but one of the screenshots was this, stating Kelly Hollan Jr AKA Bobby Hollan Jr. so maybe both names were used?
-

7-3-2013+5-21-56+PM.jpg

The Charley profile adds some additional info to what Nero posted from Doe (but the link was there).

The mother had trouble raising her kids because she is epileptic. She likely couldn't handle multiple kids with her seizures and wanted her parents to take them. She wasn't necessarily a terrible parent that beat her kids or neglected them due to the bottle or whatever drug she could find.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollan_kelly.html

Weather report for that day is here:

http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/search-results/

It is said that almost six inches of snow fell, and there were ice pellets. Bad weather for a six year old to be playing unsupervised for hours on end. This little guy sadly may have been abducted, or wandered away. I think that the Mother's neglect of her son being unsupervised outside in a storm, gave way to this tragedy. Who let's their kid out in a snowstorm for six to eight hours? I think this woman definitely is lacking in basic parenting skills. I don't think she is directly involved with what happened to Kelly. She is in my view indirectly involved. She could have prevented Kelly going missing so easily by being a more responsible parent.

Satch

Weather report for that day is here:

Weather History Results for Hindman, KY (41822) February 13th, 1982
« Previous Day - 2/12/1982 •••• 2/14/1982 - Next Day »

On February 13th, 1982, the closest available weather station to Hindman, KY (JACKSON JULIAN CARROLL AP, KY), reported the following conditions:

High Temp: 34°F
Low Temp: 24.1°F *
Average Temp: 28.6°F ( 24 )
Dewpoint: 22.5°F ( 24 )
Sea Level Pressure: 1024.3 mb ( 24 )
Station Pressure: 974.1 mb ( 24 )
Visibility: 4.5 miles ( 24 )
Wind Speed: 2.8 knots ( 24 )
Max Wind Speed: 6 knots
Max Wind Gust: n/a
Precipitation Amount: 0.28 inches D
Snow Depth: 5.9 inches
Observations: Snow/Ice Pellets

http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/search-results/

It is said that almost six inches of snow fell, and there were ice pellets. Bad weather for a six year old to be playing unsupervised for hours on end. This little guy sadly may have been abducted, or wandered away. I think that the Mother's neglect of her son being unsupervised outside in a storm, gave way to this tragedy. Who let's their kid out in a snowstorm for six to eight hours? I think this woman definitely is lacking in basic parenting skills. I don't think she is directly involved with what happened to Kelly. She is in my view indirectly involved. She could have prevented Kelly going missing so easily by being a more responsible parent.

Satch

I'm sorry to report this, but it looks like I may have found him.
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8116
The scar on his face is in THE SAME PLACE as Kelly's. I understand Kentucky is a long way from Albuquerque, but he seems the right age and you can't deny the scar. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back