KY KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

"The debris that Officer Ellis removed was tree limbs from a tree not indigenous to the area, so it was likely brought there for the purpose of setting up the ambush." Police Officer Jason S. Ellis| Bardstown (KY) Police Department - Greater Cincinnati Police Museum

The more I think about this the more perplexed I am about the culprits. Kentucky has acres and acres of trees and not all are indigenous to the state. I wonder what type of tree? And, what kind of killers bring in their own tree limbs? Doesn't sound like they were "locals".

While I believe it is entirely possible that each of the murders in Bardstown could be by different persons it just seems strange. The murders of Officer Ellis and, Crystal Roger's father, Tommy Ballard, seem to be very similar. Ambushes. In the middle of all this is Crystal's disappearance. There just seems to be a possibility that if any one of these three is solved it may lead to a resolution of the other two.

Thanks so much for posting this, Salem!

I've been stewing over this horrible case for a couple of days. I think two of the most important aspects of this are the fact that 1.)it was clearly an ambush, and 2.)this was originally called in as a car crash (and although the above article doesn't state this, other articles I've read have stated that it was called in as a fatal car crash).

This brings up several questions for me. Was Officer Ellis the target? Or was LE a target in general? It seems unlikely to me that whoever did this intended to target any random passing motorist, as I feel most people would be unlikely to stop and remove the debris from the road. It seems more likely that a member of LE would stop to remove the debris and I think the perpetrator knew this. Also, if Officer Ellis was not the intended target, is there a risk of this happening again?

I also wish we had more information about the phone call. It seems odd to me that it would be called in as a car crash. Shouldn't it have been apparent that there was no damage to his cruiser? I suppose in the dark, and the panic of finding an officer down, things could have been confusing, I just wish LE was saying more about the call/if they ruled out those who made it of involvement.

Sorry to butt in nine years later but I just now decided to see I’d there was a thread on this case. I’ve heard the 911 call and it wasn’t called in as a fatal car wreck. It may have been dispatched as one because the female caller mentioned a tree down in the roadway and an “officer down”. Citizens using the police radio or even 911 NEVER mention murder or even come close to getting close to what really happened. In all my years I never heard a call dis patched “a murder at 223 MAIN St or whatever.

Update from Oxygen:

I have my doubts about inmate info but who knows.

Though the inmate's claims about Ellis' death have yet to be substantiated by law enforcement, Bauer and Stanton opened their own inquiry into the details he provided.

The inmate told Bauer that Ellis was shot because "he was close to an investigation of a ring of storage shed burglaries and business burglaries." According to the inmate, the burglarized storage units contained high-end antiques and drugs

Bardstown Police Officer Jason Ellis Murdered For Burglary Investigation, Says Anonymous Inmate (UPDATED)

“Investigators have never fully linked the Ellis case to Rogers’ case. But in a 2020 interview with the FBI, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Brian Jones said he believed answers in one Bardstown case could lead to answers in others. The Ellis family agrees.

Kelly Eastman, Ellis’ sister, said, "It’s hard to not go there, too. Because there seem to be similar people connected to each case, in some ways, without saying too much.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back