Kyron's doctors appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could have been that the baby was fussy with teething and TH said something like I have to leave and get her some medicine and this was what caused the teacher to believe that the baby had an appointment?

Also on Monday, a Portland grand jury continued to hear testimony and Kyron's homeroom teacher, Kristina Porter, was seen leaving the courthouse. She did not comment on the session.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24570950/detail.html

Yeah, it's going to be very interesting to get the true scoop. I wish I could depose her too, BeanE and don't know why the LE don't ask for my help :)

This was a small school (half the size of my kids elementary school and I recognize almost everyone and consider it very small), so my thoughts are Ms. Porter was very aware of attendance, the kids whereabouts and they had good policies in place for appointments and making sure they knew where all kids were at all times. Ms. Porter may have even said to TH "Make sure to sign him out in the office" - we just don't know and hopefully will know soon.

Doesn't Terri deny saying anything about a dr. appointment, but insists that she told the teacher she was going to look at another exhibit?

I don't believe that Kyron was drugged, sexually abused, or having any health problems. If he really was spacing out (and I doubt it), he was probably avoiding having to answer a question or avoiding whoever was in the room he started to enter. Any child who is expected to be perfect at school and expected to sit in his room all evening for any inattentiveness is going to start avoiding the one doing it to him or just simply not enjoy being at home.

Doesn't Terri deny saying anything about a dr. appointment, but insists that she told the teacher she was going to look at another exhibit?

She wrote in an email that she said she was going to look at exhibits, and the teacher thought she'd said she was taking Kyron for a doctor appointment, but I didn't read it as denying she'd said anything about a dr appt, or as her insisting about the exhibit.

Yeah, it's going to be very interesting to get the true scoop. I wish I could depose her too, BeanE and don't know why the LE don't ask for my help :)

This was a small school (half the size of my kids elementary school and I recognize almost everyone and consider it very small), so my thoughts are Ms. Porter was very aware of attendance, the kids whereabouts and they had good policies in place for appointments and making sure they knew where all kids were at all times. Ms. Porter may have even said to TH "Make sure to sign him out in the office" - we just don't know and hopefully will know soon.

We've discussed the related policies extensively in various threads, and they were good ones - bring a signed note in advance, and check out the student at the office with a sign out. It's unfortunate that Skyline was so loosey goosey about following the procedures they had.

Whereas there may indeed be what suffices for a signed note - the paperwork that Terri's friend says Terri gave the teacher the day before, hopefully with an appointment date, we just don't know if Terri signed Kyron out at the office for a dr appt as she should have if he had a dr appt that day, or if that was yet another procedure that wasn't followed, or if he didn't have an appointment that day at all and the teacher misunderstood, or what.

What confuses me about it all, is when the chaperone/sub/volunteer noticed Kyron missing and Kyron's friend said the teacher said he was probably in the washroom etc...
If the teacher thought he was going to the doctor that day, why would she assume he had not already left for the doctor?

Because she thought Kyron was still in the school?

I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school.
-TH June 5 email-

The teacher may have took roll call between 8:45AM and 9:00AM but didn't mark Kyron absent at this point because she had seen him with Terri in her class and Terri had told her they were going to look at other exhibits. The teacher assumes Kyron's going to return. She doesn't hold up the student tour, Kyron can join it in progress. The teacher assigns students to chaperones. (no need for head counts because she already took roll call)

The tour begins without Kyron. The teacher has an hour to kill before the students return. She forgets about Kyron. At 10:00AM the students return. Now the chaperones do their head counts.

Chaperone: Oh no, where's Kyron there's only five!

Teacher: Don't panic, he's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water.​

At this point the teacher is still thinking (hoping) Kyron did join the tour at some point and has now wandered off somewhere. She does a quick search but no Kyron. Now the idea of a Dr.'s appointment comes into play.

But the question remains: If the teacher was confused about Kyron's whereabouts, why wouldn't she notify the front office? And if she did, why didn't the school contact any of the parents? If Kyron was not present during roll call, then the teacher and school may have decided that Kyron's whereabouts wasn't their responsibility(despite the fact he was seen earlier in class).

I hope that isn't the case.

Because she thought Kyron was still in the school?

I said I was going to look at other exhibits - how do you mess that up? His coat and backpack were still at school.
-TH June 5 email-

The teacher may have took roll call between 8:45AM and 9:00AM but didn't mark Kyron absent at this point because she had seen him with Terri in her class and Terri had told her they were going to look at other exhibits. The teacher assumes Kyron's going to return. She doesn't hold up the student tour, Kyron can join it in progress. The teacher assigns students to chaperones. (no need for head counts because she already took roll call)

The tour begins without Kyron. The teacher has an hour to kill before the students return. She forgets about Kyron. At 10:00AM the students return. Now the chaperones do their head counts.

Chaperone: Oh no, where's Kyron there's only five!

Teacher: Don't panic, he's probably in the bathroom or getting a drink of water.​

At this point the teacher is still thinking (hoping) Kyron did join the tour at some point and has now wandered off somewhere. She does a quick search but no Kyron. Now the idea of a Dr.'s appointment comes into play.

But the question remains: If the teacher was confused about Kyron's whereabouts, why wouldn't she notify the front office? And if she did, why didn't the school contact any of the parents? If Kyron was not present during roll call, then the teacher and school may have decided that Kyron's whereabouts wasn't their responsibility(despite the fact he was seen earlier in class).

I hope that isn't the case.

I can totally follow this line of events, and when Kyron doesn't return from the bathroom or getting a drink of water the teacher remembers something about a dr's appt had seen as well as spoke with TH that morning with Kyron. Makes the assumption Th took Kyron with her end of her thought process on it. In lieu of a note she thought she had verbal parental consent and seeing TH spoke to her assumed she also spoke to the office and/ or the office will take care of the follow up on receiving the attendance for the day. in the early days following june 4th the schools spokesman stated 2 members of staff had seen Kyron with TH and both had assumed he left with her.

Sometimes in a small school where everyone feels they know everyone ( they would have been very familiar with TH) familiarity can lead to being lax on procedure it is unfortunate due to the circumstances that followed :(. My children attend a small school I'm very involved with the school and I'm lucky enough to be able to be the student nutrition co-ordinator in their school so i'm there 3 mornings a week and 2 afternoons due to the amount of time I'm familiar with all the students and it has been known for me on occasion to forget to sign in or out and also I have taken my child from class with my verbal to the teacher i was taking them with me if the secretary was not in the office at that moment. Fortunately I always get that phone call when she returns to her desk although in the past i've seen it as trivial..no longer do i have those thoughts. So yes the procedures were lax and it is realistic to see how & why. In hindsight it is easy to see why they were put in place in the first place and why the should strictly adhered to. It is absolutely tragic that this has led to a child to be put in harms way with the most tragic of outcomes. I'm sure Ms porter has had many sleepless nights and a whole lot of why didn't i and what if's as should the office staff of the school..

as a side note since this i have never forgot to pick up my temp staff badge sign in or out or leave a signed note if we arrive late or leave early. We do have a security system and attendance checks but it shows how they could easily be forgotten and just how serious the outcome could be.

I'm surprised the parents are not irate with the school and holding them responsible but perhaps they can see how this came to be and are directing it towards who they feel responsible (the perp) not the people who inadvertantly helped it to take place. dunno...

JMO

bumpity bump bump

I am closing this since we have a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname