L.A. sheriff looks into 50 missing women

All right, I've been looking at photos so long my eyes are starting to cross. But I found two missing women that look similar to the photos:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/byron_elizabeth.html
and number 34

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dominelli_linne.html
and number 10

Any of them any good? I think I am going to send in my previous match tomorrow. Cheri just looks too much like the woman for me to ignore.

ETA: I realized one of the woman disappeared before 1977, so I removed her.

The woman on the right in #54 looks like #15.

In addition to some duplicates that we have noticed, the police have probably mixed in some random pictures of women who are not linked to the serial killer's cases. They often do that to help separate bad tips from good.

I think 29 might be a light-skinned black girl. Looks it to me. Am I wrong?

I imagined this thread is going to be long.

Doe Network Disappeared females:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1162dfca.html

WVermaas.jpg

Vermaas, circa 1976.

Wilma Rae Vermaas
Missing since April 3, 1976 from West Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: May 24, 1952
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 110 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Scar on left knee, discoloration on abdomen.
  • Dentals: Available
  • AKA: Wilma Rae Swanson

Circumstances of Disappearance
Vermaas was last seen April 3, 1976 in West Los Angeles, California.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/1418dfca.html
JEHarper.jpg

Harper, circa 1975

Joyce Elizabeth Harper
Missing since January 1, 1975 from San Diego, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: December 9, 1945
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • Dentals: Not available

Harper was last seen January 1, 1975 in San Diego, CA. Foul play is suspected.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/827dfca.html

LConnes.jpg

Connes, circa 1976

Lynn Ruth Connes
Missing since May 20, 1976 from Berkeley, Alameda County, California

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: June 21, 1955
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 110 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; green eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Scar on her lower lip. Freckles.
  • Clothing: A black shirt, black bellbottom pants, and a tan scarf.
  • Jewelry: A silver ring with an etched design.
  • Dentals: Available.

Connes was last seen at her home in Berkeley, California on May 20, 1976. She left her apartment to keep an appointment with a man named "Jeff" at Carleton Street and Telegraph Avenue.
According to police, Miss Connes advertised for work as a photographer's model and received a telephone call from someone named Jeff. He made an appointment to meet her at the Bateau Ivre Restaurant, 2629 Telegraph Avenue. The restaurant is four blocks from her residence at 2817 Regent Street. An unidentified waitress said that a woman matching Miss Connes' description came to the restaurant at 10:15 a.m. The restaurant was closed, but the waitress let her sit at a table while waiting for the appointment. The waitress did not see her leave and Miss Connes has not been seen since.
Police officers found her locked bicycle near the restaurant. Members of Miss Connes' family in Southern California say she has never run away or disappeared. Berkeley police officers say her habits indicate that she would not be expected to leave abruptly without telling friends. Miss Connes worked part time as a telephone solicitor in Marin County.

Doe Network Disappeared Cont.:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/862dfca.html

CHernandez.jpg

Hernandez, circa 1976

Cynthia May Hernandez
Missing since August 26, 1976 from Glendora, Los Angeles County, California.

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: June 7, 1956
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 125 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic female. Brown hair; brown eyes.

Hernandez was last seen in Glendora, California on August 26, 1976.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/832dfca.html

LBurleigh.jpg

Burleigh, circa 1977

Lou Ellen Burleigh
Missing since September 11, 1977 from Walnut Creek, Contra Costa County, California

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: October 26, 1955
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8; 130 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
  • Dentals: Available

Ellen Burleigh disappeared in 1977. She had graduated from Pleasant Hill High School and gone on to Heald Business College, where she had done so well that the school hired her. One day she answered a call from a man looking to open a new office for the Helena Rubinstein cosmetics company in Pleasant Hill.
Ellen set up an interview the following day, Saturday, Sept. 10. But when she arrived at the Regency Plaza Shopping Center on Contra Costa Boulevard, the man told her the shopping center was still under construction and he'd have to interview her in his van. Ellen was uneasy, but the man did nothing untoward. He called later and asked her to come back the following day, to talk again. Ellen went, but she never came back. Police have never publicly identified a suspect.
The "employer" is described as being 45 - 50 years old with a medium build. He was White and had graying hair, which he combed over to conceal a bald spot. His van was yellow / orange with multi-colored red and blue swirls painted on the vehicle's sides. The van had porthole-style windows. Foul play is suspected.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/915dfca.html

SCarlson.jpg

Sylvia Helen Carlson
Missing since December 12, 1977 from Santa Monica, Los Angeles County, California.

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: April 21, 1938
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 39 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6" (168 cm.); 130 lbs. (59 kg.)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Scar on back, broke left wrist with pin, and scar on right side by kidney.

Carlson was last seen in Santa Monica, California on December 12, 1977.

kwatson696 said:
L.A. Sheriff Looks Into 50 Missing Women
July 25th, 2006 @ 10:01am

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Homicide investigators are trying to find at least 50 women they have linked to a man who is in prison for killing two women in the early 1980s, officials said.

A sheriff's department statement said they may have been rape or homicide victims between and 1975 and 1984

MORE AT LINK BELOW---
http://www.620ktar.com/?nid=45&sid=151503

Maybe this will solve some of our Cold Cases....
Another oddly phrased headline.
My response would be, first, "yuck" and then: if they're missing how can he look into them?

Don't completely dismiss the missing children. I would swear that the girl in picture #54, on the left, is a teen.
And even with the others, some could be 16-18 year old's, sometimes they look older than what they are. Remember, they may have thought they were going to be photographed by a fashion photographer, so they may have gone a little heavier on the makeup.

Steve Huff says that #28 has already been identified as Donnalee Campbell Duhamel according to an AP article. Huff also makes the point that some of the hairstyles were not fashionable during the late 70's early '80's, but were more in fashion during the 60's. So it may be possible that LE time period may be off.
http://huffcrimeblog.com/

Okay, I'm really creeped out! :eek: This might have been the guy that approached me one day walking home from high school alone in 1978- L.A. suburb not a long distance from Lancaster! He told me he was a photographer and that I could be a model (Mind you I'm short!). First he said they'd be clothed on a beach, then it became semi-topless in an office building. He balked when I insisted my boyfriend come along. Fortunately that was the last time I ever heard from him.

Okay, I'm really creeped out! :eek: This might have been the guy that approached me one day walking home from high school alone in 1978- L.A. suburb not a long distance from Lancaster! He told me he was a photographer and that I could be a model (Mind you I'm short!). First he said they'd be clothed on a beach, then it became semi-topless in an office building. He balked when I insisted my boyfriend come along. Fortunately that was the last time I ever heard from him.

Florida links. First thing I thought of after glancing at the pictures was Tammy. Going now to look at #8.

I think misterallgood's match looks very promising.

I think some of the pics are from the 60's too. I have pictures of my mom and her friends from that decade and the hairstyle's are similar; I'd say mid to late 1960's.

Bradford was born in 1946, making him 18y in 1963/64 - I don't know how long he was in CA, but don't discount persons who disappeared from around 1960 onwards (to be on the safe side). One of his victims was only 15y - he probably didn't like pre-teens, but any missing persons 11/12y and older should probably be considered (we all know they can look much older with make-up and certain clothing).

I believe his arrest was on July 31 1984 - so does it make sense to search the years 1960 (Bradford age 14/15) through July 1984 and missing ages 12 - 40?

Marie said:
I think some of the pics are from the 60's too. I have pictures of my mom and her friends from that decade and the hairstyle's are similar; I'd say mid to late 1960's.
Some of the hairstyles are from the 60's, some from the 70's. Doesn't mean that was his timeframe, just that those may be the only pictures available of those particular women...

LinasK said:
Some of the hairstyles are from the 60's, some from the 70's. Doesn't mean that was his timeframe, just that those may be the only pictures available of those particular women...
But I thought all the photographs were taken by Bradford?

"Sheriff’s investigators who reopened an old case file are trying to find about 50 women who were photographed decades ago by a man now on death row for murdering two aspiring models in the early 1980s, authorities said Tuesday."

Found this farther down in the linked article. Also made me think of Tammy.

In the 1970s and '80s, Bradford, now 60, posed as a freelance photographer in the West Los Angeles area, taking photos of women he met at bars and "car race events," according to information on the department Web site, which showed photos of women striking poses.

The story says the photos were all found in his possession so either he took them or some of the women gave him photos, maybe, if he was supposedly going to further their modeling careers.

You were very smart and on the ball Linask. thank goodness!

I only looked at the first 4, but right away noticedethat they all looked like Glamour Shots. Glamour Shots weren't around yet I don't think, but the same idea.

Scandi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back