LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this has been asked and answered, but did BSL live alone? If not, who did he live with?
I just keep wondering if he took her to his comfort zone and didnt worry about anybody interferring.

I thought he had to be invited to appear? What am I missing?

"He has not been asked to appear before the grand jury."

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...313/Grand-jury-hear-evidence-against-Lavergne

I was surprised to see the post on the KATC facebook page stating that BSL will appear before the grand jury. In my experience, at least in my local area, the defendants most often do not appear. He would not be asked questions, but rather the prosecutors will present their case to see whether there is enough evidence to proceed with a trial. The defense of course would appear.

I'm wondering whether the KATC reporter meant that "his case" is appearing before the grand jury or if something has changed and that BSL is indeed attending.

Will we be privy to the evidence or is it kept secret?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Generally grand jury proceedings are "closed" so we're not likely to hear all the details that LE has to present. (We may be leaked an item or two.). Keep in mind, also, that the investigation is still ongoing so there will be new evidence found and added. Of course, the defense counsel will be informed what that might be, but we, the public, are unlikely to hear it until trial.
:twocents:

I was surprised to see the post on the KATC facebook page stating that BSL will appear before the grand jury. In my experience, at least in my local area, the defendants most often do not appear. He would not be asked questions, but rather the prosecutors will present their case to see whether there is enough evidence to proceed with a trial. The defense of course would appear.

I'm wondering whether the KATC reporter meant that "his case" is appearing before the grand jury or if something has changed and that BSL is indeed attending.

I hope they did mean "his case"!

If he was going to confess would he have to appear?

That was my take, too. I don't know how Ochsner is set up, but my son had an accident and was taken to the ER (at another hospital). He was triaged and then eventually brought to an exam room (still within the ER) for further evaluation & treatment. After the doctor examined the xrays, stitched him up, we were released to go home. In other words, although my son received treatment in a numbered room in the ER, he was not admitted to the hospital. That may, or may not be the case with BSL but I thought I'd toss it out there.

I just checked with someone who would be familiar with the situation, and was informed that Ochsner Medical Center doesn't offer exam/private rooms in the emergency room.

Will we be privy to the evidence or is it kept secret?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

No, the public is not supposed to be privy to any of the evidence. The Grand Jurors are cautioned to not talk about it to anyone, but realistically, I'm sure some of it will leak...but we might know most of it already.
We should know that same day though whether or not a true bill was issued.

Generally grand jury proceedings are "closed" so we're not likely to hear all the details that LE has to present. (We may be leaked an item or two.). Keep in mind, also, that the investigation is still ongoing so there will be new evidence found and added. Of course, the defense counsel will be informed what that might be, but we, the public, are unlikely to hear it until trial.
:twocents:

Things differ somewhat from state to state, of course, and I am going on how things work in Georgia, but if Louisiana is similar: Neither the defendant nor the defense team is usually at the GJ session, and there is, I believe, no judge present. At a recent high-profile murder GJ session here, I believe the only persons who were in the room during the session were the grand jurors, the district attorney, and one witness, who was the lead investigator in the murder investigation.

There are a few situations, if I understand correctly, in which the defendant and/or defense team might be present, but they are not common, as I understand.

As to the defense being privy to new evidence as it develops: At this point, they are probably not privy to much at all. Discovery does not happen, I think, until after arraignment -- at least here in Georgia -- which happens some time after indictment. There may be some informal providing of certain information to the defense earlier -- to encourage a plea, for example -- but the bulk of the evidence would not be provided the defense at this point.

I'm no lawyer, so if someone is one and needs to correct any inaccuracies in my statements, please do jump in!

We know some, but certainly not all of it to go for a 1st degree murder.
I agree, some of the evidence will leak out.
I also feel strongly that a true bill will be issued.
Look at the facts that we do know.

I just checked with someone who would be familiar with the situation, and was informed that Ochsner Medical Center doesn't offer exam/private rooms in the emergency room.

Do you know if they offer curtained off examination areas (which might still be numbered)? For patient's privacy sake, I cannot imagine them examining every patient in one big open area. I'm not trying to be contrary...just trying to understand the layout.

(I was in an ER once where I had a bed and IV with a curtain that was drawn closed on three sides - wall with monitor behind me. So lovely to hear what sounded like someone's dislocated shoulder being popped back into place.)

I suppose this has been asked and answered, but did BSL live alone? If not, who did he live with?
I just keep wondering if he took her to his comfort zone and didnt worry about anybody interferring.

From what I gathered from what his gf's family member posted, Brandon lived alone. His girlfriend was newly divorced and has 2 young kids, and she had her own place with the kids. I think she probably came and stayed with him when her kids where with their dad though. So that gave him a lot of privacy during the time she was home with her kids.

I went to the same Oschner's ER on my honeymoon (strep throat). I had a Private room with a door. It was small, but it was closed. I was not admitted.

I went to the same Oschner's ER on my honeymoon (strep throat). I had a Private room with a door. It was small, but it was closed. I was not admitted.

At our ER (not in LA) you go back into the ER and there various "rooms" which are areas seperated by curtains and each of these areas has a room number. There are also a few that are actual rooms there also and again they have a room #. And to be private such as if LE needs to talk to the patient, they will either pull the curtains all the way around and/or make sure they are in one of the actual rooms which has a door that can be closed. These are all in the ER area - you are not admitted but you have your privacy for exams, etc. you are not in a room with every other patient - you are seperated yet still in ER.

From what I gathered from what his gf's family member posted, Brandon lived alone. His girlfriend was newly divorced and has 2 young kids, and she had her own place with the kids. I think she probably came and stayed with him when her kids where with their dad though. So that gave him a lot of privacy during the time she was home with her kids.

So, I'm still trying to figure out his opportunity to take her to his "comfort zone", a "major crime scene". I know we keep focusing on his hospital visit, his required visit to enforcement re his teir 3 RSO, his stolen and burned truck, and his subsequent purchase of his new truck, along with the grand jury this coming week.
I also want to stay focused on where is Mickey? I do suspect he took her to his "comfort zone", a "major crime scene". There may be other crime scenes as well. But I do suspect they are all around his area of comfort.
I suspect she surprised him in some way and that is why he was injured on the very same day!
But I also suspect it did not happen in NO. But way before he arrived there.
I suspect he will take a plea once the grand jury decides to proceed with prosecution. Then he will plea, just like before.

Do you know if they offer curtained off examination areas (which might still be numbered)? For patient's privacy sake, I cannot imagine them examining every patient in one big open area. I'm not trying to be contrary...just trying to understand the layout.

(I was in an ER once where I had a bed and IV with a curtain that was drawn closed on three sides - wall with monitor behind me. So lovely to hear what sounded like someone's dislocated shoulder being popped back into place.)

The same person told me that you're lucky to get a curtain. I've never been there myself, so I can't give details firsthand, but I do trust this person's judgement.

I've been to emergency rooms at least a dozen times over the years, and I think I can only recall one time I wasn't technically admitted to the hospital. I didn't always stay overnight, but the visits were long, and the paperwork tedious.

At the very least, I don't think that Lavergne's visit was a simple drop-in to attempt an alibi.

So, I'm still trying to figure out his opportunity to take her to his "comfort zone", a "major crime scene". I know we keep focusing on his hospital visit, his required visit to enforcement re his teir 3 RSO, his stolen and burned truck, and his subsequent purchase of his new truck, along with the grand jury this coming week.
I also want to stay focused on where is Mickey? I do suspect he took her to his "comfort zone", a "major crime scene". There may be other crime scenes as well. But I do suspect they are all around his area of comfort.
I suspect she surprised him in some way and that is why he was injured on the very same day!
But I also suspect it did not happen in NO. But way before he arrived there.
I suspect he will take a plea once the grand jury decides to proceed with prosecution. Then he will plea, just like before.

I wish I knew how close his gf lived to his mobile home. if it was far away and she had her kids that night, then I think he may have felt comfortable taking her to his home. That area under the home interests me.

But if she lived close, and was used to popping by, then I doubt he brought Mickey back to his home.

At our ER (not in LA) you go back into the ER and there various "rooms" which are areas seperated by curtains and each of these areas has a room number. There are also a few that are actual rooms there also and again they have a room #. And to be private such as if LE needs to talk to the patient, they will either pull the curtains all the way around and/or make sure they are in one of the actual rooms which has a door that can be closed. These are all in the ER area - you are not admitted but you have your privacy for exams, etc. you are not in a room with every other patient - you are seperated yet still in ER.

You know? Thinking about it now, there may have been curtained "rooms" as well that I did not notice. I just don't imagine they would have put me in a private room for just strep if they had curtain rooms. Maybe it was a slow day? Sorry if I was misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe