LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand all the discussion about Lisa, but with all due respect, isnt this thread supposed to be about Mickey? I know they are all tragically intertwined now, but let's not forget her. Knowing when Lisa went missing is not going to find Mickey.

Well, as the cases are intertwined, it seems to me what we are doing is filling in the Lisa Pate info to catch up with Mickey. Evidence in the Pate issue likely will end up in the Shunick trial, as far as establishing BSL's record.

Poor Lisa has been forgotten by most of the world for 13 years. No one is forgetting Mickey. The family and friends made darn sure of that, thank God!

:(

I hate to think that if people had come forward sooner, Mickey might still be alive...I can't help thinking this, and maybe I am wrong...

Can someone please tell me what Cajun net is?

Can someone please tell me how many times this question has been asked? Just kidding.... Clearly it puzzles many. It is slang for the local gossip mill, or 'heard it through the grapevine'

I don't have a great handle yet on the timeline, but here are the basics that I understand. If I am wrong - please correct me:

June 1999 - BSL & his male friend and that friend's GF are in a wreck. At the time, the male friend - (and maybe the GF?) are living in the house where Lisa Pate later is found.
The male friend dies - his GF (higginbotham) is paralyzed, and the house stays empty for awhile - and then is rented again - to Guy Landry - late July or August.

Landry and another person (female?) go exploring the back yard (Sept. '99) and lift some boards and find Lisa Pate.

Can I go on this info, or is it wrong?

I'm a bit behind in the thread, but if this hasn't been addressed yet: I think, at one point, Laffy Taffy said no one was "living" in the house at the time as a residence but that it was "their camp" ...?

ETA:
Here, I was meaning "at the time of the car accident".

Can someone please tell me what Cajun net is?

The CajunNet is an advanced communications system, based in the swamps of south Louisiana.

To date, it is the only force of nature yet discovered to be faster than 186,000 miles per second.

:phone:

I'm a bit behind in the thread, but if this hasn't been addressed yet: I think, at one point, Laffy Taffy said no one was "living" in the house at the time as a residence but that it was "their camp" ...?

The way I understood it was that it was the owners' "camp," and that they were renting it out to BSL's friends.

But without the LT comment, I can't do better than that.

I understand all the discussion about Lisa, but with all due respect, isnt this thread supposed to be about Mickey? I know they are all tragically intertwined now, but let's not forget her. Knowing when Lisa went missing is not going to find Mickey.

Point taken. Should Lisa Pate have her own thread?
~Bessie???

Then why was her date of death changed from June (the original date when she went missing) to July 3rd or something like that?

I get what you're saying though.
When he said "CH and her boyfriend found the remains" I was thinking he meant the bone remains. But if he means they found the body after he had just killed her on the night the wreck happened and that's why they were told to shut up, then why would her date of death be changed to a month later in July?

Best I remember, there was no date in June officially cited, at first, for LP going missing -- just the month of June. Later, LT said LP went missing same night as the accident -- and still later also added LP was murdered the night of the accident (but before the accident).

It seems like an "official" date of death for Lisa was at first the date in Sept. 1999 when her body was found, because a poster found a Social Security death record or something similar with that date. It appears the family/and or LE went with the death date of July 3 at some point later.

Jujube.... Thanks. I cannot begin to figure out how to snip, but this is re: your post.

Speculation and rumor says that bsl framed they guy who died in the accident with pates murder by saying that he confessed to killing her before his ill fate. Then the remains were found on the property that he lived at before his demise. Maybe no matter what CH said to that gj they still found reasonable doubt due to all of this.

Kwim?

That could be the reason.

Thanks for the response...

I saw someone say the other night that July 3 was the son's b-day, but maybe that's just rumor.

I have a very hard time believing that CH knew LP died on July 3rd, yet couldn't incriminate BSL back then. Unless, of course, she just came forward now.

This will all come out in the trial, and maybe not before. But I bet that the CajunNet gets pretty close. The Eunice area is a lot smaller than Lafayette, and I bet the C'Net is even faster there.

The Pate's kid's grandmother said Lisa did not show up for her son's birthday.
http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/
"The day Lisa went missing is fresh in her mind. Pate didn't show up for one of her children's birthday parties. Gertie knew something must have happened to Lisa. Much like how Mickey Shunick's family grew suspicious when Mickey didn't show up at her brother's graduation. Even though 13 years have passed, Gertie has never forgotten what happened and now she's reliving a painful time."

Ellis rd. in Church point

And we sure wouldn't want them to get a bad rash from all the poison oak/ivy/sumac shown on the left bank of the creek..

Hopefully they will soon take the horses in to trample around & do a thorough search of this unsearched area before all the vital evidence is washed away or destroyed by the scavengers of the forests...

To my knowledge they have not been using horses locally in the searches. Last I read they were just using ATV's and Equusearch trained searchers.

I dont condone private citizens intentionally going searching other people's private property without LE and or the owners permission.

Best I remember, there was no date in June officially cited, at first, for LP going missing -- just the month of June. Later, LT said LP went missing same night as the accident -- and still later also added LP was murdered the night of the accident (but before the accident).

It seems like an "official" date of death for Lisa was at first the date in Sept. 1999 when her body was found, because a poster found a Social Security death record or something similar with that date. It appears the family/and or LE went with the death date of July 3 at some point later.

Well, we're missing a simple fact here - when was her absence reported to police? On her son's birthday? I can't help but think that this info has been published somewhere, and we're just missing it. Shouldn't be a deep, dark secret.

Does anyone know how long after the accident where the guy was killed (June 19) did the house (where Pate was found) become vacant?

Perhaps GH and her friend were "staying" at the camp.

just an idea.

Originally Posted by WhatsupAZ View Post
Jujube.... Thanks. I cannot begin to figure out how to snip, but this is re: your post.

Speculation and rumor says that bsl framed they guy who died in the accident with pates murder by saying that he confessed to killing her before his ill fate. Then the remains were found on the property that he lived at before his demise. Maybe no matter what CH said to that gj they still found reasonable doubt due to all of this.

Kwim?

You'd think that for something that serious, they would have given BSL a polygraph in '99. That's a big deal to tell LE that someone who just died confessed a murder to you.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8165665#post8165665"]LA LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37 - Page 56 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Good info Laffy Taffy provided about this "camp" and vehicle accident

The way I understood it was that it was the owners' "camp," and that they were renting it out to BSL's friends.

But without the LT comment, I can't do better than that.

What was stated earlier was that the house was an unoccupied camp owned by the family of the person killed in the accident. supposedly he was BSL's buddy.

Does anyone know how long after the accident where the guy was killed (June 19) did the house (where Pate was found) become vacant?

Well, media reports say that Guy Landry had been there less than a month when the remains were discovered on Sept. 21, 1999.

So let's say he moved in Sept. 1.... the accident was June 19 - (if the accident we've looked up truly was the accident in question). As CH was likely in the hospital for awhile - being paralyzed - I'd say the house was likely vacant for a couple months.

Welcome to WS! There's been a lot of talk of your wife here on WS, and it seems everyone has a lot of respect, admiration and sincere appreciation for her nobility and strength! I can't imagine what it must be like for you two right now with all of the talk and all, but hopefully this note and the ones from others can brighten your day, remind y'all that her courage helped to save many lives and sets an example for others contemplating whether or not to speak up. Thank you guys again!

Those are really kind words, thanks. The only good thing that has come out of this for her is that what happened to her made him already a high profile suspect. It may have made it easier to believe that he is a person that could do something like this. She had a notion not to say anything at first because he had threatened to kill her family and burn her house down but she thought better of that and knew that he could still come back after her anyway if she did nothing.

hey Claire, glad to see you back. Read your DA article on the double indictment & appreciated the info :)

Before I get myself confused... y'all are discussing the adoptive dad, correct? And when you say "parents" you mean his adoptive parents, and not the later stepdad, right? I'm trying to get it straight for myself.

So he lived with his adoptive parents from 1979 until at least the divorce in 1997? Do we know what year he stopped living with the adoptive parents and got his own place? Did he live on his own a bit, or did he go straight from their house to the Army?
Did he ever live with his stepdad?

And it was the adoptive dad that was sick in NO and he couldn't pick him up?

Wanted to be sure, so that I can better contribute.

Thanks!
Great questions. I'll see if we can put them on BSL timeline.....

WOW!! I did not know that BSLs adoptive father was at a NO hospital.
I thought it was Lafayette. That's good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nebbiolo