LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

Marilynilpa

Reaction score
3832UMLA <mod note: added link to OP>

I ran across this while researching something else.

On Valentine's Day in 1975, the body of a 16-17 year old white male was found in Belle Chasse, Louisiana. He had committed suicide by hanging himself from a persimmon tree using a bedsheet. He was wearing a maroon and yellow knit shirt, blue trousers and unmatched socks. He was not wearing shoes. A jar laying against the tree trunk was filled with note paper.

He left a suicide note, addressed to "mom and dad" which read in part: "When you stop growing you are dead. I stopped growing long ago. I never did develop into a real person and I cannot tolerate the false and empty existence I have created".

He included this notation for the police who would eventually find him: "You are bound to preserve domestic peace and order. If you pursue who I was (and spend hundreds of dollars) you will accomplish little. There are no legal consequences of my death or any kind of entanglements. All that can happen is that you will shatter the domestic peace and order of two innocent lives. Do not deprive them of the hope that their 'missing' son will return . . .Let me be, let it be as if I wasn't ever here. Simply cremate me as John Doe."

He goes on to say "It is best if I cease to live, quietly, than risk that later I will break and shatter by violence or linger years under care. I implore you to see a psychiatrist in order that you might understand my death and my life. Ask thoroughly about what I was and you will see that it is not tragic that I am gone, but more natural than if I continued."

In a section entitled "why you should not feel responsible", the young man wrote: "I was born with a definite pervasive melancholy . . .what frustrated me most in the last year was that I had built no ties to family or friends. There was nothing of lasting worth and value. I led a detached existence and I was a parody of a person - literally and figuratively. I didn't tell jokes - I was a joke".

The suicide note is quite lengthy, and cites the writings of Emile Durkheim, a philosopher and psychologist. The young man said Durkheim called suicide "an inner direction of homicidal feelings against someone else."

He ends the note by saying "I am no longer interested in the world and know that it is not interested in me. When you stop growing you are dead. I stopped growing a long time ago."

On a separate scrap of paper, he wrote this note to his parents: "You have provided me with excellent advantages and privileges and experiences. I am extremely grateful for all of your sacrifices, time and support. I am now repaying you with an arrogant act. In this light, I do see it as criminal. I can only hope that you see that it was me who caused it."

This young man's description and fingerprints were circulated to police throughout the U.S., but he was not identified as of March 1975. I am hoping by putting this here on the cold case thread, it might trigger someone's memory about a missing young man.

This "John Doe" seemed to be intelligent and was extremely philosophical for a teenage boy. He refers to the advantages and privileges his parents provided, which could mean he was from a well-to-do family. There was no car found in the area, so he must have taken the bus or hitchiked to the wooded area where he ended his life.

If you are interested, the complete story is in the March 27, 1975 Post-Crescent, Appleton-Neenah-Menosha, Wisconsin.

If anyone knows anything about this young man, I'd love to hear it.

THREAD #1

Last edited by a moderator:
Bringing some of the links over from the first thread.

IMG_3233.jpeg
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) UP88342

Has this young man from Missouri ever been suggested? He left home with another young teen and a 30-year old in August 1972 when he was 15, so it seems possible to me he could have been "out there" for awhile. The young girl he left with was later found alive in California, although I am not sure when, or who the adult they were with was.

Earl Anthony Joggerst

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 2.36.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-02-14 at 2.41.41 PM.png

Has this young man from Missouri ever been suggested? He left home with another young teen and a 30-year old in August 1972 when he was 15, so it seems possible to me he could have been "out there" for awhile. The young girl he left with was later found alive in California, although I am not sure when, or who the adult they were with was.

Earl Anthony Joggerst

View attachment 483254
I don't believe so , it is a very good likeness but I think Earl's tattoo would rule him out?

Earl has a tattoo? I noticed some kind of mark on his sternum, but thought it was a birthmark.

It is really unfortunate the records are all lost for the young man who took his life.

On Earl's NAMUS page, there is a color pic of him as a young child. Comparison to the AI color sketch of the Belle CHasse UID. I think the eyes/brow are quite similar....Would like to know more about Earl's life and disappearance....if there was anything more learned from the friend Geraldine who was later found. He looks so unhappy in the images as a teen. Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 2.54.21 PM.png

Earl has a tattoo? I noticed some kind of mark on his sternum, but thought it was a birthmark.

It is really unfortunate the records are all lost for the young man who took his life.

On Earl's NAMUS page, there is a color pic of him as a young child. Comparison to the AI color sketch of the Belle CHasse UID. I think the eyes/brow are quite similar....Would like to know more about Earl's life and disappearance....if there was anything more learned from the friend Geraldine who was later found. He looks so unhappy in the images as a teen. View attachment 483268
I'm so sorry! You're right haha
It's not a tattoo it's a patch of pigmentation! For some reason my brain translated hyper pigmented into multicoloured! Durrr!

I wonder if our Doe had a birthmark I can't recall it ever being noted. It epukd be interesting to know about Earl's life and his education since BCJD seemed very educated.

I'm so sorry! You're right haha
It's not a tattoo it's a patch of pigmentation! For some reason my brain translated hyper pigmented into multicoloured! Durrr!

I wonder if our Doe had a birthmark I can't recall it ever being noted. It epukd be interesting to know about Earl's life and his education since BCJD seemed very educated.
I just finished reading Earl's thread here, and a few people commented who knew him/of him. Seems he may have been a quiet boy, who preferred the company of girls, possibly gay, although this is only the opinion/observation of those in the thread and did not seem based on firsthand reports about his romantic relationships. It isn't clear to me how involved his parents were in his life, but I also would not rule him out based on the remarks in the letter.

Also re the pigmentation/arrow shaped mark, I found differing info as to if it was a darker area or a lighter one. Confusing!

It is clear BCJD was intelligent, so they may have also been manipulative and included things in the note to throw off LE or even as barbs or sarcasm. Without knowing who he was, we really have no way to know.

I will say personally I feel referencing Durkheim gives the impression more of a college freshman than a high school freshman or sophomore, as Earl would have been, however those in the thread who knew of him didn't share anything about his intellect. If he was quiet, it is possible he was also bookish.

One last thing I have to add....Earl's mother Ida bears a fairly strong resemblance to the sketch as well, IMO. From her obituary....https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/stltoday/name/ida-joggerst-obituary?id=2967525

View attachment 483408

I don't think we can go by photos of who we think might be related. I remember that Eldorado Jane Doe looked like her photo could have been plucked from a Blevins sisters photo album and she turned out to be no blood relation at all.

I'm worried about how this young man will ever be identified..Apparently, due to a hurricane/flood, there is no body, DNA, or charts. So, if there is a potential match, what will they have to compare from this young man?
As I have mentioned previously, the only thing that comes to mind is handwriting samples..and that's if by chance, there is an ACTUAL copy of the suicide note somewhere (?) And we would have to hope that the missing persons family, still has something handwritten from their loved one 1975 or prior they can compare to the suicide letter.
Very sad..

UNfortunately I don't think he will ever to be able to be positively identified without exhuming the body and DNA testing him. Everything was lost and maybe even the suicide note? But some copies of the writing are still out there.
My own feeling is that he was already identified...just that his mother, for whatever reason chose not to identify him. Perhaps she respected the last wish he had expressed in his note.

I think the scar inside the mouth was enough, added to everything else, (dental record match, looks very similar etc) for me to personally conclude that this was Charles Wallace.

I tend to agree, the scars in both mouths are pretty convincing to me...
How do you explain dental charts matching but not one in the same (?)
Yes, I could sort of believe that maybe 2 people had very nearly identical teeth, but not that those two people also had the same scar! The chances of that have got to be absolutely phenomenal...the when you add in that they look alike facially too...well!

Did they have the EXACT same scar though, or a VERY similar one? What do we know collectively speaking about matching dentals? Have they ever been wrong in the past? (I feel like there was a more recent example, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was. Anyone remember?)

The reason I put suggestions forth in support of Earl is because this has remained as it is for so long. The picture of Earl's mom is not meant as strong proof of anything, more "Hey, she has some resemblance as well", since we only have a sketch of the UID (vs photos) and only a few low quality pics of Earl.

Personally I feel we have to consider other young men as matches aside from Charles Wallace. Or someone does? As you guys have put this, how will it ever be solved if no one really seems to care about it, there is no DNA, no dental, no fingerprints, etc? :(

I agree there is a lot supporting Charles Wallace, however his mother said it was not him. Maybe it was him, and she had her reasons, but we should also consider maybe BCJD was NOT CW. Like so many missing, he could be someone never reported, or only reported locally and lost to time as well.

It is tragic the records have been lost.

Respectfully suggesting that people might want to go back through thread 1 to see all the effort that has been put into locating his remains and records. Quite a few people over the years have cared a lot, and seeing what they've worked on might give us some new ideas as well.

I'm going to go refresh my memory as well..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back