LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

They are common.
The name "Plaquemines," in French Creole, was derived from the Atakapa word piakimin, meaning the local fruit persimmon. The French used it to name a military post they built on the banks of the Mississippi River, as the site was surrounded by numerous persimmon trees. Eventually the name was applied to the entire parish and to a nearby bayou.

Yes, they are smaller trees and extremely slow growing. Persimmon wood is known as ebony. It is dark and very expensive. It rates up there with teak in price. It is much harder than oak. The fruit of native persimmon is extremely astringent and can cause oral injury unless completely ripe. Raccoons and possums seem to be able to tolerate the fruit better than humans. #PlantOfTheMonth: Persimmon | McClung Museum of Natural History & Culture.

There are non-astringent varieties of more edible persimmons from Asia known as "Japanese persimmon". Japanese persimmon trees are purchased from nurseries. Articles don't indicate whether the tree was native or a Japanese.
persimmon...

MOO: I just don't see a symbolism there...
Bayard Cousins number 1 or 2 on potential ID list, his mother was a tree biologist. She apparently had a huge fondness for the Persimmon tree, so I see great symbolism there.

A while back I said it's like he's trying to tell a story. If I think logically, the suicide note says 'I've been planning this for a year'. I believe everything is symbolic of something and/or someone. This young man was no fool and well read, so I think everything means something but you have to take the location, the letter and his possible name (because who he was gives us a bunch of clues) all into account.

(I too have never heard about the poetry angle, thank you for that because it fits in perfectly)

- he runs away from home a year or so before his death
- he ends up in Louisiana sometime in 1975, I would guess before Mardi Gras
- he uses his last money to get a room at the red roof inn.
- Mardi Gras ended on Feb 11 1975 (don't know which year Plath committed suicide but if before 75 it's very significant)
- I think he's started and stopped on his note for a while, adding bits when he had thought them out (which accounts for the hopping around in the note)
- on the 11th feb he celebrates the end of Mardi Gras and after fat Tuesday, lent begins, that's also significant because the catholics give something up for lent (like a food, meat for example), theologically it's giving up sustenance and it's also fasting. He uses the sheet for Mardi Gras.
- from the 12th to the 15th he finishes his note and finds himself a climable Persimmon tree.
- he waits until late afternoon (Jesus succumbed from the crucifixion in the late afternoon) then he walks in his shoes and socks with his bed sheet and his jar (bringing a pencil, just in case) to the tree.
- he makes a noose of the bed sheet, climbs up and.... He kicks his shoes off as he is..... (I can't say it)

This is my theory and it is only my opinion.

Bayard Cousins number 1 or 2 on potential ID list, his mother was a tree biologist. She apparently had a huge fondness for the Persimmon tree, so I see great symbolism there.

A while back I said it's like he's trying to tell a story. If I think logically, the suicide note says 'I've been planning this for a year'. I believe everything is symbolic of something and/or someone. This young man was no fool and well read, so I think everything means something but you have to take the location, the letter and his possible name (because who he was gives us a bunch of clues) all into account.

(I too have never heard about the poetry angle, thank you for that because it fits in perfectly)

- he runs away from home a year or so before his death
- he ends up in Louisiana sometime in 1975, I would guess before Mardi Gras
- he uses his last money to get a room at the red roof inn.
- Mardi Gras ended on Feb 11 1975 (don't know which year Plath committed suicide but if before 75 it's very significant)
- I think he's started and stopped on his note for a while, adding bits when he had thought them out (which accounts for the hopping around in the note)
- on the 11th feb he celebrates the end of Mardi Gras and after fat Tuesday, lent begins, that's also significant because the catholics give something up for lent (like a food, meat for example), theologically it's giving up sustenance and it's also fasting. He uses the sheet for Mardi Gras.
- from the 12th to the 15th he finishes his note and finds himself a climable Persimmon tree.
- he waits until late afternoon (Jesus succumbed from the crucifixion in the late afternoon) then he walks in his shoes and socks with his bed sheet and his jar (bringing a pencil, just in case) to the tree.
- he makes a noose of the bed sheet, climbs up and.... He kicks his shoes off as he is..... (I can't say it)

Sylvia Plath died February 11, 1963.

Apparently the Bell Jar wasn't published in the US until 1971 due to the wishes of her husband and mother.
I don't know if that's relevant.
That leaves 3 years his last 3 at school and for argument sake let's say he's 17/18 at the time of his death which means he could have been in grade 10. Did this boy do a lot of reading outside school, did his teacher perhaps introduce the class to Plath by bringing in her copy of The Bell Jar, it could be a coincidence but since everything else looks planned I'm leaning toward not.

We can theorise until we're bored but we'll probably never put together the real true story. He took some secrets with him. I'm happy with that. My biggest hope now is not how or why but when. When will he be moved to actively investigating by faces or another lab to determine DNA.

Once again, we have remains, we have an exact location, we have a contact with the funeral home who do have exact records for the cemetery because they own it. We have living siblings for the top 2 favourite persons. And we don't need living siblings anymore, genealogy can trace him backwards today. I honestly don't know what else we can do other than trying to get his story into the media. And quite frankly it's difficult to do that, I've contacted journalists and said 'here' I'm giving you an entire story, zero research needed and they just don't bite.

Thanks for checking @Ciriii57 your posts are NEVER irrelevant and always well thought out and welcome, as is everybody else's. ❤️

Last edited:
That leaves 3 years his last 3 at school and for argument sake let's say he's 17/18 at the time of his death which means he could have been in grade 10. Did this boy do a lot of reading outside school, did his teacher perhaps introduce the class to Plath by bringing in her copy of The Bell Jar, it could be a coincidence but since everything else looks planned I'm leaning toward not.

We can theorise until we're bored but we'll probably never put together the real true story. He took some secrets with him. I'm happy with that. My biggest hope now is not how or why but when. When will he be moved to actively investigating by faces or another lab to determine DNA.

Once again, we have remains, we have an exact location, we have a contact with the funeral home who do have exact records for the cemetery because they own it. We have living siblings for the top 2 favourite persons. And we don't need living siblings anymore, genealogy can trace him backwards today. I honestly don't know what else we can do other than trying to get his story into the media. And quite frankly it's difficult to do that, I've contacted journalists and said 'here' I'm giving you an entire story, zero research needed and they just don't bite.

Thanks for checking @Ciriii57 your posts are NEVER irrelevant and always well thought out and welcome, as is everybody else's. ❤️
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Same to you :)

I wonder if a book published in 1971 would have made it onto the school syllabus in time for him to study it?
Of course, if this young man had a serious interest in this kind of literature he probably went out and bought a copy!

wish Mrs Tony still posted.
Although she's not able to publicly post in the threads at the moment, she sees all! She's actively following everything :D

Dear Mr Brown

If I could convince you why to do this, allow me to do so:

- almost zero research.
- it's 24 years old and nobody else will put it in a major magazine/website/blog or anything else.
- there's no crime, it's a suicide. I realise this may be a small downside.
- there is a suicide note, a lengthy one.
- the Doe is on the Charley Project and NAMUS
- there is a thread on Websleuths, 2 threads so 55 pages of information dating back to 2005.
- contributors to the thread have excluded most possible IDs, there are only three viable options to identity.
- the Doe has been taken up by FACES as a submission for genealogical identification by either direct DNA comparison or ancestral DNA comparison
- the exact location of the remains is known, as is the funeral home who own the cemetery
- there are remains, he was not cremated
- the case files were destroyed but I'm betting most of what was in the case files are now on the thread
-there is another thread on a different website, details are in the media thread on Websleuths
- he has been moved from possible investigation to future investigation on FACES

Please consider doing his story and getting his story into mainstream media, we would love to give him back his name.

Thank you so much for reading this. I include a link to the Websleuths thread.

LA - LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

(I left out some personal bits)

I'll post here the minute I get a reply, if i get a reply. Cross fingers and toes for us @Sweetluv

Last edited:
I might add why you think so many people (here at least) are attracted to his story. It was recently discussed that there is an inherent melancholic romance to the story. The Belle Chasse Doe story is both tragic and mysterious; an unknown young man decided to take his own life, but cared enough about his final message to protect it, and appears to have done certain things due to symbolic significance. We have only a sketch or two, in which he looks like a Beatle, to go on for looks.

(snipped)

I had forgotten this detail. That would be a really wild coincidence if he's not Bayard!

I might add why you think so many people (here at least) are attracted to his story. It was recently discussed that there is an inherent melancholic romance to the story. The Belle Chasse Doe story is both tragic and mysterious; an unknown young man decided to take his own life, but cared enough about his final message to protect it, and appears to have done certain things due to symbolic significance. We have only a sketch or two, in which he looks like a Beatle, to go on for looks.
I'm hoping Mr brown figures that out if he reads the threads, but it's also mentioned in the threads about the romance and tragedy so I'm sure if anyone reads the entire thread they'll see how we feel and probably draw the same conclusion.

Almost identical to the date BCJD passed away. JMO
It was the last day of Mardi Gras in 75, not a coincidence if he was suicidal and into plath. That was deliberate, nothing else in the US was going on Feb 11th to my knowledge and he's in the right state with the right tree, fits like a jigsaw puzzle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back