LA - Bizarre Kidnapping of a 7 year-old Girl, New Orleans, 05 June 2013

The address where he was arrested is Odyssey House, an addiction rehab facility.

"Odyssey House Louisiana (OHL) is a nonprofit behavioral healthcare facility with an emphasis on addiction treatment."

http://www.ohlinc.org/

Of the states I've checked so far, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and Florida, his name doesn't come up in the sex offender registries.

The poor little doll. May she find some kind of peace and good counseling. I can't even imagine her nightmare.

Meanwhile that treatment facility has a residential program for women with children. Surely they are not housed near the men, but still.

Couldn't find this creeps name either on any registry.

luckily she got how, but how sad..what a creep. hope he is locked up for good.

Fwiw, I cringe at the media saying she was found "unharmed" in the same breath they use to tell us the perp is being charged with aggravated rape. I understand the implication, but the wording is stupid.

And yet, so so grateful she is alive.

Fwiw, I cringe at the media saying she was found "unharmed" in the same breath they use to tell us the perp is being charged with aggravated rape. I understand the implication, but the wording is stupid.

And yet, so so grateful she is alive.

Me too. She was far from unharmed.

That is why Websleuths would have listed her as "Found ALIVE."
Not "Found Safe" because she wasn't safe... but she was ALIVE, which is awesome.
The media gets a lot wrong... like when they say that a perp "forced" a child this age to have sex.
It's rape. Just call it rape. :twocents:

Not all pedos have a 'type', other than that the child is a child. They'll rape boys, girls, black, white, it's the innocence and the "child" they lust for.

Poor little girl. Poor family.

One more incurable pedo, who'll be probably be out again in just a few years to keep on raping...

More details here. Carter was charged as a fugitive, but no further information is provided. This is from a little girl who witnessed the kidnapping.
"He kept walking back and forth, looking at us,"...
The stranger walked in once, she said, looked around and then walked outside of the outer apartment entry gate. "The second time, he pulled his car up," T said, pointing to the parking lot that could be seen just beyond the apartment entry gate.

T said the man walked in two more times before he made his move. The victim was facing away from the entry gate, towards the pool.
"He just picked her up and walked away," T said. "She was screaming and crying."
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/06/metairie_kidnapping_witness_he.html

There are more details from the affidavit here that I don't want to quote.
"If you do what you are told, you will be back home fast," Carter allegedly told the girl.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/06/kidnapping_suspect_forced_7-ye.html

I question this statement because a relative directed LE to the Odyssey House address. So if he wasn't a client, was he an employee?
Odyssey House President Ed Carlsen said Carter was arrested outside the facility, but was not a current client.

The suspect walked into the courtyard several times, apparently canvassing the area, before picking the little girl up from behind and bringing her to his small gold car, said Glenn Boyd, spokesman for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.
http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/JPS...-kidnapping-of-7-year-old-girl-210324281.html

This is a direct quote Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office Colonel John Fortunato reported early yesterday morning. I can't find any other report of a possible second suspect, so take it with a grain of salt. LE might have determined later that he that he acted alone.
Detectives are now looking for a second suspect they think helped kidnap the victim.

"We believe that the suspect, Carter, was actually the passenger," Fortunato told WWL First News. "Someone else was driving the vehicle."
http://www.wwl.com/Suspect-arrested-in-kidnapping-and-rape-of-Metairi/16528469

Not much here, but fwiw...
https://www.facebook.com/steven.carter.988

As a resident of New Orleans, this story truly breaks my heart. We have enough murder and violence issues in this city. We don't need crazy rapists and kidnappers of little children. It breaks my heart that this girl and her family have had to go through this.

As a resident of New Orleans, this story truly breaks my heart. We have enough murder and violence issues in this city. We don't need crazy rapists and kidnappers of little children. It breaks my heart that this girl and her family have had to go through this.
As a lifelong resident, myself, I feel the same way. Random kidnappings of little children is one problem we haven't seen in great proportions for many years now. I pray this isn't the beginning of a trend.

On the other hand, far too many incidents still occur where the offender is known to the victim.

There's another one besides Carter? Dear Lord.

Wait. He wasn't a client? There has to be a list of employees somewhere. However, he wouldn't be residing there if he was employed there, right?

Would it be a direct rule that Ed Carlsen couldn't admit he was a client because of the law?

As a lifelong resident, myself, I feel the same way. Random kidnappings of little children is one problem we haven't seen in great proportions for many years now. I pray this isn't the beginning of a trend.

That's the feeling I was talking about in the other thread.

In Fat City child kidnapping case, a jury is seated for testimony to begin Tuesday
By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on July 07, 2014 at 6:05 PM, updated July 07, 2014 at 7:05 PM

[...]

Carter, an electrician whose history gave no hint that he would kidnap a random child, would spend the rest of his life in prison if convicted as charged. He has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity. His attorneys, George Vedros and Cindy Cimino, hope to convince the jury that a brain defect coupled with excessive cocaine use on the day of the crime left him temporarily insane.

pff_zpsb1e78760.gif

[...]

The girl, now age 8, was playing in a swimming pool area at the Yorkshire Edenborn complex at 3420 Edenborn Ave. when her abductor walked in, picked her up and carried her away to his car. Her abduction prompted an immediate manhunt by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

Authorities say Carter forced the girl to perform a sexual act as he drove. She was released her about an hour later and about two miles away, in the 900 block of West William David Parkway.

embarrassedangry_zps3470af3a.gif

Excessive cocaine use - voluntary. Brain defect - not buying this defense. Lock this guy up for a long time. He sounds impulsive, not temporarily insane.

He doesn't recall the incident. Pfft!

Now he'll have the rest of his life to remember.

In Fat City kidnapping trial, a conviction means life in prison for Kenner man

By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com - The Times-Picayune
on July 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM, updated July 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM

During three hours on the witness stand, [Steven D.]Carter never expressed remorse for his actions nor deny that he committed the crimes. However, he did not admit to doing the crimes, either, saying he remembered little from that day. He said he had injected into his body for the first time in his life a mixture of crack cocaine and a powerful painkiller, cooked in Kool-Aid.

"I can't say for sure that's what happened or not," he testified Wednesday of the kidnapping and rape. He acknowledged that the evidence against him was "very, very hard to discredit," particularly the testimony of "an innocent young child like that.

[...]

Judge Scott Schlegel of the 24th Judicial District Court will had down the mandatory life sentences on July 31.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/jury_convicts_kenner_man_in_fa.html
Mother of Fat City kidnapping and rape victim says daughter recovering well
By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com - The Times-Picayune
on July 10, 2014 at 5:36 PM, updated July 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM

The girl, now 8, was not physically harmed. NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune is not identifying the child or her mother, who on Tuesday was the first of 12 witnesses the prosecutors presented. The mother cried on the witness stand as she testified that she did not know Carter.

Her daughter also testified, recounting how the stranger grabbed her. She was on the witness stand only for 20 minutes and was not subjected to cross-examination by Carter's attorneys.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/fat_city_kidnapping_and_rape_v.html

Good. I'm a little bit bothered by the statement that the girl didn't suffer any "physical harm". She was forced to perform a sexual act during the kidnap. I can't think of anything more physically harming (not to mention mental implications).

Sorry you made multiple bad decisions against an innocent CHILD. Feigning amnesia doesn't give you a free pass.

Yeah, I gristled a bit at that line. Have we reached the point where a particular forced sexual act is considered mildly harmful in comparison to the unspeakable bodily harm committed against the less fortunate innocents?

Yes, I think we have reached that point. The boundaries keep shifting, and we live in an ever-increasing violent society. Mores and ethos seem to be eroding by the day.

I stumbled across this case this morning while researching another one. He got two consecutive life sentences. That is not going to help the victim though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back