LA LA - Carol Cole, 17, Shreveport, Dec 1980

This morning I was looking at more missing reports and I too thought that Jane Doe and Debra Vowell had similar cheek structures and the same forehead structures to their heads. They look very similar when the photos are placed side by side I think ( but maybe that is because I want to see similarities).

I have a question when I typed in one of the names that were written on her shoes, I came up with a person who has a sexual conviction which involved an underage child. Age wise they would have been in their late teens or early twenties when this Jane Doe was alive. If I can work out if they lived in the same state as Jane Doe was left in would this be worthy enough to contact the authorities or not?

She was wearing Evonne Goolagong brand shoes?

Evonne Goolagong is an Australian tennis star of Australian Aboriginal descent, now known better as Evonne Cawley or Evonne Goolagong Cawley. She was kind of a big thing here in Australia but I don't know whether she was ever seen as that big a deal in America that she would have had footwear branded after her on the market. In tournaments in the USA she tended to make it to the semi-finals. She did live in Florida for 8 years.

Does anyone here remember seeing Evonne Goolagong brand tennis shoes on the market in America in the late seventies/early eighties?

Okay, I've gone looking, and there is an advertisement with Evonne Goolagong being used to market stuff for Sears around 1983, so it is likely the shoes could have been American.

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/2008/09/1983-ad-for-sea.html

which is sort of a pity because the nose on the second recon reminds me a bit of Toni Cavanagh.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/654dfnsw.html

I wonder about the names on the shoes. Could she have been written them on there after a mixed doubles game, as a souvenir? You'd expect three or four names then, one her partner, two for their opponents, and she may or may not have written in her own name too.

I have a different theory about the names on the shoes... I think at least one of the names represented a guy she had a crush on or was seeing and other names were friends.It was common place in the mid eighties where I grew up for girls to write the names of boys they liked or were going out with on the side of their shoes. Often other friends names were included.... One the guys name is quite uncommon and there are not many people with the name in the USA. I wish LE would ask them if they remember her.... maybe more clues about her identity could be uncovered.

I have a different theory about the names on the shoes... I think at least one of the names represented a guy she had a crush on or was seeing and other names were friends.It was common place in the mid eighties where I grew up for girls to write the names of boys they liked or were going out with on the side of their shoes. Often other friends names were included.... One the guys name is quite uncommon and there are not many people with the name in the USA. I wish LE would ask them if they remember her.... maybe more clues about her identity could be uncovered.

I agree. I did that on my shoes...usually I heart so and so. I think that is a very intersting lead...especially considering that at the time this was investigated the "boys" may not have been convicted of any crimes. I think it is definitely worth looking in to.

She was wearing Evonne Goolagong brand shoes?

Evonne Goolagong is an Australian tennis star of Australian Aboriginal descent, now known better as Evonne Cawley or Evonne Goolagong Cawley. She was kind of a big thing here in Australia but I don't know whether she was ever seen as that big a deal in America that she would have had footwear branded after her on the market. In tournaments in the USA she tended to make it to the semi-finals. She did live in Florida for 8 years.

Does anyone here remember seeing Evonne Goolagong brand tennis shoes on the market in America in the late seventies/early eighties?

My daughter, who was a teenager in the 80's, used to have a pair of Evonne Goolagong shoes. This was in New Hampshire. Goolagong was very popular with young athletic girls -- kind of a role model.

I remember she did used to write the names of her friends and boyfriends on her shoes for a while, too. I recall it being more what younger girls were doing, not high-schoolers, but my memory might be faulty on that.

I went to high school in a very small town in New Zealand and it was exactly the thought of thing only done at high school even senior student would write on their shoes.....maybe she had written on the shoes 18 months or so beforehand and she was say 16 years old then that could fit the time frame.

How could I find out whether any of the missing women suggested in this thread have been ruled out or even if they have been compared to this Jane Doe?

How could I find out whether any of the missing women suggested in this thread have been ruled out or even if they have been compared to this Jane Doe?

That's been a source of frustration for most of these cases. NamUs includes rule-out lists. But in most cases, the NamUs lists only include the possibles that the automated NamUs system suggests. This doesn't include any possibles that LE come up with during their investigations, or possibles called in by the public.

LSU, like most agencies, doesn't publish a comprehensive rule-out list, but if you e-mail in a possible match, they will usually let you know the result. And if you don't, you can send in a follow-up e-mail after a month or two, and they will tell you.

so how can we tell if any of the suggested matches are serious possibilities? Its not like anyone of these possible matches seems to be considered the 'one' that would most likely match this Jane doe? In my opinion only.

What bothers me is that she has not been claimed before now by family members - do they think she is alive still, have they not contacted the right people, did no one care or is some of the information about her so wrong that she cant be identified?

so how can we tell if any of the suggested matches are serious possibilities? Its not like anyone of these possible matches seems to be considered the 'one' that would most likely match this Jane doe? In my opinion only.

If one of us feels strongly about a possible match, we will either call it in, or send an e-mail to one of the contacts (either for the UID case, or the MP case) indicated in DoeNet or NamUs. Throughout this forum people suggest possible matches, but more often than not, they are not called in because there is some inconsistency, or it just doesn't look right. Many of the agencies throughout US (and especially Canada) will never let you know whether your possible match panned out. But LSU Faces Lab is pretty good about that. If you call in a possible match, you usually get an answer. And if you don't get an answer, you can drop them an e-mail a few months later, and they will let you know.

What bothers me is that she has not been claimed before now by family members - do they think she is alive still, have they not contacted the right people, did no one care or is some of the information about her so wrong that she cant be identified?

That's the story not just for this case, but for many of these cases involving children or teens. Many of these cases involve children who have run away from disfunctional homes or Child Protective Services.

A case was just solved recently of a young girl - a foster child who had frequently run away from CPS and her adoptive family, and on one of those occasions while she was out living on the street, she was murdered and left in the Arizona desert. That was in 1992, and she remained unidentified for 18 years because nobody cared enough to figure out whatever happened to her.

There are probably thousands of young children who flee from disfunctional families or CPS, and travel around the country catching rides from truckers, or get involved in a creepy underworld. Some of them end up deceased and listed on DoeNet and/or NamUs. For these children, their families and/or CPS have given up on them.

It's quite possible that this unidentified girl, and others such as Valentine Sally, Walker County Jane Doe, Caledonia Jane Doe, are from circumstances such is these.

In other cases, the children are murdered by their parents. And since their parents are not firmly rooted in a community or extended family, the crime is never reported, the child is never reported missing, and nobody (except for the perpetrators) is even aware of the child's absence.

The little girl who was decapitated and left in the basement of an abandoned building in St. Louis is probably such a case.

Yea its tough understand the St Louis case on why she was not identified.

I think this Doe was loved and cherished by at least one member of her family as she had teeth braces....I think maybe the family ( who remain alive today) think she is still alive but does not want to contact them. I say this because she was found on Jan 28 th .... a month before new years and a little before that is Christmas.... I wonder if words were had before christmas Jane doe runs away claiming she wants a new life, no contact at christmas, new year.... and the family dont look for her here or similar sites because they think she disappeared into the blue yonder and does not want to be found. I remember reading a 50 year old case which identified a jane doe who not contacted her family in 50 years and a family cousin was anguished because they thought she had willingly cut the family out not murdered. This clearly is all my opinion.

I was looking at Mary Opitz yesterday, and thought the same thing about the time-frame. She also didn't look too much like the recon, and didn't have blonde hair (FWIW).

opitz_mary2.jpg
61UFLA2.jpg

However, on second thought aside from your point about stabbing, I remember that C Wilder had a history of transporting his victims long distances before killing them. For example, one victim (Michelle Kaufmann) was kidnapped in Las Vegas, and her remains were found off of Angeles Crest Hwy near Los Angeles. One of his final victims was transported from Redondo Beach CA to Boston before he released her (this was one of the few victims whose life he spared, but only because she assisted him in kidnapping additional victims along the way).

Carl,

Did you ever submit Mary Opitz? I know the hair color is off, but the braces stood out to me and the age range/time frame.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66dfnh.html

This missing girl should be considered: Rachael Elizabeth Garden

This young woman went missing several months before Jane Doe's body turned up. I think she was lured\ kidnapped and taken some considerable distance from her home. I wonder if she was enticed\forced into prostitution- being encouraged\ forced to take drugs, so never sought\ had an opportunity to get escape. Her pimp sent out to work and she gets picked up by the guy who in turns murders her several months later ( going by doe net work information she would have been killed in November sometime 1980). It is possible being a teenager that she could have grown while she was alive. I will post more later today.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/61ufla.html

I meant several months after she goes missing, she was picked up by the man who then murdered her. Rachael had a retainer for her mouth at the time of disappearance -this could explain why some reports say she did not have braces and other reports say they do. A retainer could be seen as a in between measure and support either report. The weight difference is not so hard to explain as teenagers weight changes quickly and if she had a unhealthy diet it would be easy enough to put on the extra weight given that she went missing several months before hand. The hair colour can be explained as a variation either through being dyed or the sun lightening it up. Finally I think if you read the description of the jane doe in many aspects Rachael does match it and there is some likeness of these two from the nose up. I think the jane doe's eye colour is not known and they have chosen blue eyes. What do you think?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back