LA LA - Daniel Dewey, 17, Greensburg, 17 Nov 1979

I'm glad they found an identity for him.

There were three boys like him. Killed by a rope with a series of knots. Very odd method.

Trooper Stewart wouldn't give up. Kudos to him for his perserverence. Danny's brothers now know what happened to him. It would be great if they could find the perp in Danny's murder and those of the other two young men.

8UMLA.jpg

Daniel Wayne Dewey
The victim was located November 17, 1979 near Greensburg, Louisiana. He was identified in July 2008 as Daniel Dewey, 17. Daniel was a native of Salinas, CA and a resident of Dayton, TX.

Here's the side-by-side of the facial reconstruction and Daniel Dewey.
p92590821.jpg
8UMLA.jpg

I just came across the story of Daniel Dewey a couple of nights ago looking for anything on the 1972 Daytona Florida John Doe.. I was amazed at the determination of Mr Stewart and finding this boys identity. He did an amazing job.! there is ALOT of details in that link.
http://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2010/02/unknown-serial-killer-in-louisiana-by.html

Lousiana Daniel Dewey[1].jpg

Also What happened to Daniel Dewey and the other 2 boys reminds me alot of the Hog Trail Murders and the serial killer Daniel Conahan. They still have have not identified a couple of the body they found.-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Conahan

I hate to ask a morbid question, but does anyone know the exact location where Daniel Dewey's body was found in Greensburg? Regards to all.

My gosh, the cruelty. Rest in peace, sweet boy. You deserved so much more out of life. May there be justice, in this world or the next.

Regarding the above article, it has been disputed whether any of the three victims actually worked at Jimmys coney island hot dog stand. In the recent New Orleans unsolved podcast, it was mentioned that the manager of this establishment was accused of having a predilection of hogtying boys with a rope around their necksuch atht if they resisit they choke. His name was redacted in the podcast for obvious reasons. Would be interesting to know who he was

The cemetery Daniel Dewey was buried in is a small family cemetery—my family’s cemetery. I remember visiting his grave when I was child. His tombstone had the news article with his description. I also remember visiting the cemetery after the body was exhumed. I had always wondered what happened and if he was identified. I hope additional answers can be found.

I actually spoke directly to someone originally involved in this case. They do not believe Stan Burkhardt is responsible for the rope murders. They did not give an explanation for this belief though.

I actually spoke directly to someone originally involved in this case. They do not believe Stan Burkhardt is responsible for the rope murders. They did not give an explanation for this belief though.

Did by any chance they mention who they may believe was responsible for these murders or anything else?

Dennis Turcotte, 19;
Raymond Richardson, 17;
and Daniel Dewey, 17,

The body of Dennis W. Turcotte, 22, was discovered tied up near Abita Springs, La., on Feb. 1, 1978;

Raymond Mark Richardson, 17, was found dead on Mar. 26, 1978 near Gulfport, Miss.

I have not found much information on Raymond Richardson. Just wondering how long they thought he was dead before they found his body.

HI, Dennis Turcotte was found Feb 3rd 78. Raymond RIchardson was found late march off Menge avenue near pass Christian, he was badly decomposed and police believe he was dead about a month taking his murder back into february. There is a podcast, New orleans unsolved. It has a facebook page with fantastic old news articles from the time .They made an arrest in the case of Turcotte but the case was dropped as it was 'weak'. The arrested person was named and he is or was part of the cast of the show swamp people incredibly. There were supects apparently. I wonder if it wasnt more than one person as it would take a lot to tie up 17/19 yr olds and hoist them into car trunks etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI, Dennis Turcotte was found Feb 3rd 78. Raymond RIchardson was found late march off Menge avenue near pass Christian, he was badly decomposed and police believe he was dead about a month taking his murder back into february. There is a podcast, New orleans unsolved. It has a facebook page with fantastic old news articles from the time .They made an arrest in the case of Turcotte but the case was dropped as it was 'weak'. The arrested person was named and he is or was part of the cast of the show swamp people incredibly. There were supects apparently. I wonder if it wasnt more than one person as it would take a lot to tie up 17/19 yr olds and hoist them into car trunks etc.

Oh lance47 thank you so much for all that info! It’s great. I only found a few different articles and they all have different dates and nothing really on Raymond.
I did not know they made an arrest and let the guy go. (He was part of the cast of Swamp People...interesting) Yes if they had Suspects it does sound like it’s more than one. But iam also thinking guess if the guys were drugged up and tied up when they were knocked out it could be done. It’s sick to think the person sat and watched them strangle themselves. I wondered about Daniel Conahan since he was doing that in Florida. He was let go from the Navy in 1978 but I have not been able to find out where. I have to check out that Facebook page . Thank you

According to news article Dennis Turcotte had a drug problem and police told his family the murder was drug related. Raymond Richardson was apparently a well known street kid in new orleans. Daniel Dewey could only have been in New Orleans a couple of weeks or so before his murder,

Hi the new orleans unsolved podcast has a facebook page and instagram, great newspaper cuttings, one which has a photo of Turcotte and Richardson. Also the followinghttps://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2010/02/unknown-serial-killer-in-louisiana-by.html

This has a a great account of a guy whose father was a police photographer and saw a photo of Dewey the day he was found in Greensburg which he describes in detail. There is some weird stuff going on with shoes in this case. Turcotte was found barefoot and Dewey had on shoes that were too big for him and on the wrong feet. According to the New Orleans unsolved podcast there were ritualist aspects to the Richardson crime scene too. Not sure about Conahan- According to wiki, he left Navy in 1978 and stayed in Chicago 13 years. His killing spree begain in the the mid-90s and had a different signature. Best Wishes x

Hi the new orleans unsolved podcast has a facebook page and instagram, great newspaper cuttings, one which has a photo of Turcotte and Richardson. Also the followinghttps://kidnappingmurderandmayhem.blogspot.com/2010/02/unknown-serial-killer-in-louisiana-by.html

This has a a great account of a guy whose father was a police photographer and saw a photo of Dewey the day he was found in Greensburg which he describes in detail. There is some weird stuff going on with shoes in this case. Turcotte was found barefoot and Dewey had on shoes that were too big for him and on the wrong feet. According to the New Orleans unsolved podcast there were ritualist aspects to the Richardson crime scene too. Not sure about Conahan- According to wiki, he left Navy in 1978 and stayed in Chicago 13 years. His killing spree begain in the the mid-90s and had a different signature. Best Wishes x
Thank you again for all of the info. I know you mentioned about the shoes. I wonder if there is nothing ritualistic other than the guys had just taken off their shoes before the whole thing and the killer just did not take the time to put the shoes back on.
Now you mention the shoes on Daniel were too big, Makes me think they were not his shoes and wonder if they belonged to another guy that was killed (either Turcotte or someone else that was never found.) And the killer just picked them up and put them on him. They were left behind in the trunk of the killers car? I wonder if they ever checked to see if the shoes belonged to Turcotte?

I also was looking into Larry Eyler and Dr Robert David Little ( creepy dude) . I wonder if the Dr ( who by the way was never charged with anything) had something to do with these 3 guys . They tied the guys up and tortured them also. And the creepy doctor filmed them to make snuff films, which is what made me think of these 3 boys. It’s been mentioned the killer watching the kid strangle himself w the rope. Someone could if been filming the boys as they struggled to get out of the rope and ending up killing themselves.. Just a thought.

Conahan really came to mind because of the style.. I just wish I knew when he left the Navy. He or the killer could if traveled to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and then back again for Halloween for parades and parties and then leave..
again just my mind working overtime ha!

I hate to ask a morbid question, but does anyone know the exact location where Daniel Dewey's body was found in Greensburg? Regards to all.
about a few hundred yards south of Darlington Baptist church, There is a turn in from the road that leads to a dump site, I believe he was found here. Of course the location may have moved slightly since 1979 as it is a landfill site.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ateav
Back