LA LA - Jane Rowell Clement, 22, Baton Rouge, 7 April 1963

I was able to find more pictures of Jane from the Istrouma High yearbooks digitized on Ancestry. I also found a picture of her sister, Patsy from the 7th grade. I can't access the images fully, because I don't have a paid account. Maybe another member can get them for us? Or I'll grab them the next time I'm at the parish library. It is interesting how both Jane and her sister both vanished. Also, was there any reason for the family to suggest amnesia in the article shared by folieadeuxnola? Or was that common at the time in missing persons stories?

I ran across her profile and googled. This article is from 2020 and has much more info.
Jane Clement missing since 1963

<modsnip - entire article was posted, copyright violation. Please see article at the link>

I wonder what evidence the DA had? If the husband is still alive (article is from 2020), could they get DNA from him to match the evidence?

. He abused her and probably jealous of her many talents. Jane was breathtakingly beautiful and had so much potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,

I agree that WC murdered Jane, and wrapped her body up in the bedspread, which is why it was missing from the premises. Her remains could be in a makeshift hole in the ground or a body of water in Louisiana.

Satch

On a side note, I wonder if the UP they compared Jane’s dental records to was identified? I looked in namus and didn’t see a profile.

Thanks. It's great to see more information because frankly, lack of info was one of several things about this case that bothered me. I agree with those who say that the estranged husband is the most likely suspect. I recall the earlier post of the person who was very defensive where he was concerned, but that person made no mention of the domestic abuse that was written about in the article. The children were far too young to remember anything but I hope he was at least a good father to them.

Sounds like WC was very controlling and didn't want his wife to work outside the home or do what she wanted to do. Sadly, these cases are not that uncommon. I hope there will be answers one day. I wondered what became of Jane's unfinished manuscript?

"Jane authored a lengthy letter to be given to her infant daughter when she became of age."

That seems to almost imply she left on her of accord. Like she knew she was leaving.

"Jane authored a lengthy letter to be given to her infant daughter when she became of age."

That seems to almost imply she left on her of accord. Like she knew she was leaving.

Sounds to me that she wrote her a daughter the letter knowing she wouldn’t live to see her grow up. I don’t believe for a second that she left on her own accord.

A friend’s sister attended high school when/where the husband coached. Said he was pretty unremarkable. That said, I agree he most likely killed Jane and hid her body in a remote part of the parish. Before moving to the house on Sorrel, they had property in a VERY rural part of the parish — it’s still pretty rural today. My bet is that her body is out there somewhere. Just doesn’t make sense that she would leave the kids with him to go for a job interview and he not get concerned after a week?!

5e54ecab41059.image.jpg

Hannah Jane (Rowell) Clement, age 22, Missing since 7 April 1963

LINK:

I ran across her profile and googled. This article is from 2020 and has much more info.
https://www.hammondstar.com/news/ja...cle_317d206e-c244-53a3-a061-6b13a44b0413.html

“On Christmas Eve 1962, a fight with her husband over Jane's writing became physical. The next morning, Jane's doctor admitted her to the Baton Rouge General Hospital for treatment of deep bruises on her neck and back.

The doctor discharged her on New Year's Eve, but she never again lived with Wilton Clement. A Baton Rouge court granted her a legal separation on March 18, 1963, along with custody of the children and the residence on Sorrel Avenue.

Alone with her children, Jane started a novel, work left unfinished when she disappeared, and - curiously - Jane authored a lengthy letter to be given to her infant daughter when she became of age.

Jane's makeup and clothing appeared in place, excluding the clothes she wore that Sunday. The only thing missing from the house was a pink bedspread. Wylie remembered it because he had slept on the couch and used it for cover.

Both the Baton Rouge City police and the sheriff's office responded to Mrs. Jeffers' call, and before the search concluded, the district attorney presented evidence to a grand jury that, even today, has never been made public.

Investigators questioned Wilton Clement within an hour of Jeffers' call. Clement said he last saw Jane on Monday, April 8. He had returned the children the night before, but, he said, Jane called him that morning to come back and get them. He said she had a job offer, working for a wealthy club owner on Bourbon Street, and she needed to meet the man for lunch.

Clement said he had tried to call Jane later but got no answer. He assumed she had taken the job and was staying at her brother's in New Orleans.

Neighbors reported nothing unusual. Police dispatched bulletins regarding her disappearance across the country and contacted Jane's friends and casual acquaintances in Mississippi, North Carolina, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Alabama.

None spoke to her after April 7, 1963.

For months, Jane's aunt, Mrs. Mary G. Baker in Natchez, Mississippi, ran a newspaper advertisement in the Advocate offering a $300 reward for information concerning her niece's disappearance and whereabouts without receiving a single response.

In December 1963, police found the body of a woman near the Benbrook Lake Dam outside Fort Worth, Texas. Jane's physical characteristics matched those of the estimated 6-month-old corpse, but Jane's dental records did not.

In 1965, columnist Jim Crain sat down with Wylie Rowell to talk about Wylie's sister and her strange disappearance.

"It's the sort of thing you never get over," Wylie said. "There has been no peace for our family since it happened. It is worse than someone you love dying. It's a nightmare, never knowing what happened, or how and why it happened."

Wylie gazed into a cup of black coffee at Café Du Monde for a few moments before he could continue, Crain reported. And then he said, "I know one thing for sure. My sister loved her children too much to run away."

"What do you think really happened to her?" Jim Crain asked.

"Murder," Wylie Rowell replied. "I'd stake my life on it."

Wylie G. Rowell died in 2008 at age 72, but as I write this, Wilton Clement, now age 88, still lives in Raton Rouge.

I wonder what evidence the DA had? If the husband is still alive (article is from 2020), could they get DNA from him to match the evidence?

I read the previous replies but IMO I think the husband is responsible. IDK how nice of a guy he seemed. He abused her and probably jealous of her many talents. Jane was breathtakingly beautiful and had so much potential.
I know Jane’s daughter. She and her sibling were raised by her father. The husband/father raised a wonderful daughter.

Well, that sadly doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't capable of murder. I don't know that he did of course, but you can't always go by that.
I made no mention of the husband/father’s guilt or innocence. To my knowledge LE has not released any information. I’ve never met the husband/father.

Last edited:
She could have been a movie star.
Yes, I agree.

Her estranged husband told the police that Jane had abandoned her family for Hollywood, which makes me suspect him of being involved in her disappearance. So many husbands who murder their wives and pass it off as them leaving on their own accord will paint her as being selfish and irresponsible and leaving her children when in reality the woman usually wanted to leave the marriage. It's interesting how HannahJ talked about Jane wanting a different life, which was likely true but her husband had been violent toward her. She was awarded custody of the children and was divorcing him, and he didn't like it.

Missing for over 60 years...

Jane
Jane Rowell Clement, age 22, Missing since 7 April 1963

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members