LA - Kelsey, 4, & Kendall Thornton, 3, murdered, New Orleans, 17 Oct 2012 *Arrest*

Doctors clash over Chelsea Thornton's sanity when killing her children

"When evaluating for sanity at the time of the offense, you are examining whether a person suffers from an active psychosis and whether it impairs their ability to distinguish between right and wrong," he said. "Mental illness does not equal insanity. A person can be mentally ill and still distinguish between right and wrong."

Salcedo contended that Thornton demonstrated through her own actions and words that she could make such distinctions that day. She changed out of blood-spattered clothes before leaving the children's bodies behind in her apartment bathtub. She went to the NOPD's 1st District police station before apparently having second thoughts about turning herself in. She sent her boyfriend's mother to discover the bodies. And once their deaths were revealed, Thornton told police in a recorded statement, "I didn't want them to suffer," and "I knew I would get in trouble for this kind of stuff."

Chelsea Thornton killed her children because of 'altruistic delusion', psychiatrist says

James McConville, a forensic psychiatrist who evaluated Thornton, said he believes she suffered from an “altruistic delusion” — a common condition in cases where mothers kill their children.

“It’s a bizarre thought that she would kill the children to keep them from some future suffering,” he said. “This altruistic delusion is bizarre and it’s hard to understand, but it’s consistent throughout the record.”

McConville concluded that Thornton was actively psychotic.

“At the time of the offense, she suffered from the irrational, delusional thought that her children would actually be better off dead and in heaven,” he said.

'That wasn't my child': Mother says Chelsea Thornton deteriorated before her children's killings

In halting and tearful testimony, Eleanor Chapman said her daughter’s mental state had been decaying for months before the grisly killings.

“When she was right, she was a great mother,” Chapman said. “Something had to happen to my child. That wasn’t my child.”

She said for years, her daughter would stay up all night, writing on any surface she could find. In March 2011, she said, Thornton stood on her family’s lawn and refused to move. In May 2011, she stood in traffic in the middle of the street. Chapman had her committed to the state mental hospital in Jackson, she said.

Chelsea Thornton found not guilty by reason of insanity in children's deaths

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/08/chelsea_thornton_murder_trial.html

Chelsea Thornton was legally insane -- and thus not guilty of first-degree murder -- when she fatally shot her 3-year-old son and drowned her 4-year-old daughter nearly five years ago, a New Orleans judge ruled Friday (Aug. 11).

Criminal District Judge Robin Pittman rendered her verdict at the end of a dramatic five-day trial punctuated by graphic testimony on the violent deaths of toddlers Kelsey and Kendall Adams, and conflicting medical opinions regarding their mother's mental health when she killed them in their Gert Town apartment on Oct. 17, 2012.

Pittman gave no explanation for her finding, but ordered that Thornton, 28, remain remanded for continued mental health treatment. The judge set a Sept. 7 hearing to determine Thornton's hospitalization plan.

"It had me physically sick, just waiting and praying that it turned out the way that it did," said Thornton's mother, Eleanor Chapman. "She had a history of mental illness and they can't deny that I didn't try to help her. I committed her. I did everything humanly possible to try to help her. She was sick.

"I know for sure she'll be on her medicine for the rest of her life, and have whatever kind of life she still can. She's going to the mental health hospital. And, if and when she's able to come on the outside, she still has to deal with the loss of her children."

Chelsea Thornton ordered to state mental hospital 4 months after insanity ruling

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/12/chelsea_thornton_committed_sta.html

Thornton appeared in court Monday morning (Dec. 4) with her attorney Lionel Lon Burns, but court records show Thornton waived her right for a hearing.

Instead, Thornton and the state agreed she would be committed to the Eastern Louisiana Mental Health Hospital for treatment, where she would remain in custody until she is no longer considered a danger.

Burns said Thornton will be admitted to the state hospital by the end of the week and will remain there for the next six months. At that time, Burns said, Thornton's doctors will recommend to the court if she should be discharged or remain committed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back