LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that BUT, to me, it was more along the pretext (or appeared to be) of them wanting to question the driver as a possible witness ... not so much as a suspect. KWIM?

And still, they have not put out anything saying they suspect the driver of the Z71. However, it's worth nothing that the driver has not yet come forward. It seemed that the other VOI's drivers took their time being found but, they did and this last one still hasn't, making it easy for us to assume. Doesn't necessarily make it so!

I planned on volunteering today, but I had to take care of a broken AC today, It's hot out here...

I am going tomorrow for sure though.

Was it your AC or someone else's AC? If it was your AC, I don't blame ya. It was 97 today in sunny Florida.

snipped:
Am I wrong, but since there is an APB on White Z71's, isn't LE allowed to pull over any vehicle that fits the description in the area? I realize that there are MANY Z71's in the Lafayette, and that this could be tasking, but I wonder if they have pulled anyone over...
Darn good question Pichele!!! Anyone know the legalities on this?

If they know the exact truck then you'd think they would give us the make and model type. Is it a GMC or Chevy and what exact model is it...Z71 is just a package that's an option on different GM vehicles. Right now it seems like all they can be sure of is the Z71 part (from a decal on the rear?)

Last weekend, a friend an I 'chased' a white truck with LA tags through a mall parking lot. Turned out to be a perfectly lovely older couple with what looked to be a grandchild and a dog. I hope we didn't frighten them.

Exactly for this reason? (I know you were joking JurysOut, but I'm sure you're not the only one who's done this) Lafayette is obsessed with this case. The tone on FB and news sites is getting progressively crazier. Chasing down white trucks of an exact make and model is much more likely to result in people confronting their owners than just knowing white Z71, thought I don't doubt that many White Z71 drivers have been questioned by suspicious public.

From KATC.com:
Latest Update Mickey Shunick: What you need to know today May 31, 2012

I understand how the newbies feel trying to keep up with the lightening speed, multitude of comments and it's likely I, myself, have missed some details but, with that being said ... referencing the bolded statement above; wasn't LE initially asking that the owner of the Z71 white truck to please contact them and now, based on the wording quoted above ... LE is now asking the public for help identifying the driver???

I'm most likely nitpicking media wording and it's probably just semantics but it caught my eye.

If you are nitpicking their wording then do am I. I'm on the same page as you.

It's possible they're sure of the Z71 identity from forensic paint analysis from the recovered bike.

I'm almost certain the police used "Z71" when the photos were released, prior to the bike being found.

I haven't said very much.....but I am here! Still rooting for Mickey.

Was it your AC or someone else's AC? If it was your AC, I don't blame ya. It was 97 today in sunny Florida.

No my AC froze over because two nights ago because its do dang hot. Yesterday my thermostat read > 99 deg.. Nothing the good ole AC man couldn't fix, its their time of year.

I guess I missed it. Where does the info come from that states they are looking for the ID of the driver? TIA

Volunteer searches for Mickey Schunick are back in full swing (katc.com, updated 6:23 p.m. CDT 05/31)
There's confusion whether volunteers are still needed to search for Mickey Shunick. Volunteers are hoping efforts get back on track. Fewer people showed up to help in the search. Some people thought volunteers were no longer needed, but the search was suspended one day only.

"We put a suspension on it to give people a day to just relax and gather themselves," said Volunteer Jessie Eyster.

Volunteers are still needed. Since the confusion, the number of volunteers has significantly dropped.
---
On average 45 search parties go out everyday, but because of the confusion only 8 groups went out.
---
the rest at link above

Am I wrong, but since there is an APB on White Z71's, isn't LE allowed to pull over any vehicle that fits the description in the area? I realize that there are MANY Z71's in the Lafayette, and that this could be tasking, but I wonder if they have pulled anyone over...
Also, since the bike was found at Whiskey Bay, I think that the perp continued to head east on I10 and I would imagine that LPD informed State Patrols in that direction (AL, MS, FA) to be on the lookout for a white Z71 with Louisiana plates.

Is there an actual APB for all white Z71's? I mean, we don't know for sure it has Louisiana plates. LE may know but they haven't said that. Or have they, and I missed it? Do we know?

Glad I found the new thread. Ok, I'm wondering, and forgive me if I'm redundant, isn't it possible she did continue all the way down st Landry toward blackham coliseum but the business cameras just weren't synced to her pace to see her? And is it possible the truck was coming from one of the saints streets and clipped her then?

Let me elaborate. Say she Kept straight and the other truck thought it easier to cut through the neighborhood, but got turned around and headed back toward st Landry. There is a weird intersection at st Thomas and st Patrick where it's hard to see and traffic comes from different directions. Say he plowed through the yield sign and clipped her there? Hypothesizing. I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this

I guess I missed it. Where does the info come from that states they are looking for the ID of the driver? TIA

Wording in an article. I think it the same thing they have been wanting all along...the truck, and who was driving it, to contact LE.

Exactly for this reason? (I know you were joking JurysOut, but I'm sure you're not the only one who's done this) Lafayette is obsessed with this case. The tone on FB and news sites is getting progressively crazier. Chasing down white trucks of an exact make and model is much more likely to result in people confronting their owners than just knowing white Z71, thought I don't doubt that many White Z71 drivers have been questioned by suspicious public.

Our entire plan was to call 911 and stay behind them. We don't frequently see LA tags in Pennsylvania.

I can see how it would be tough not to lose yourself in the haystack, especially for a local.

I'm not particularly impatient about LE releasing details. It's an active investigation and the only people they owe information to is the family, IMO.

One thing I'll say about possible bike routes is that it's tough to put yourself in somebody else's shoes to figure out what would be the probable route. And I say this as a very experienced cyclist who has ridden hundreds of hours at night.

For example, we know she didn't take the route her friend and fellow experienced Lafayette cyclist Brettly suggested. He thought she continued down Parkside when instead she actually turned onto Versailles.

Each cyclist picks his or her route based on personal preferences. This could include a past history on a certain road...there may be a spot where cars come too close for comfort, a pinch point, or a spot where it's too dark to see potholes or cracks in the road, or even a spot where a dog came out of a yard and chased the cyclist in the past or something like that.

I'm just saying that what may seem logical to someone looking at a map may not be what made most sense to Mickey given her riding history.

I'm almost certain the police used "Z71" when the photos were released, prior to the bike being found.

You are correct, per KATC: http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

05/26/2012 06:19 PM by Sharlee Barriere
After reviewing more surveillance video, police want to speak to the drivers of two additional vehicles.
First a white 4 door Chevrolet Z-71 that traveled in the same direction as Mickey on St. Landry Street.

That was posted 5/26. The bike wasn't found until 5/27.

Hoping we have a press conf tomorrow.
Hoping the state police crime lab has offered some clues to LE. Hoping for the Shunick's nightmare to end soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther