LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me that folks are ignoring the fact that there was a robbing crew of 4 men assaulting men & women on 05/20/2012 in the same vicinity as Mickey's route on 05/19/2012. MS had a purse & in one of the pics of her was wearing a gold chain & large gold heart pendant.

http://www.katc.com/news/simple-robbery-arrest-police-still-searching-for-3-suspects/

Simple Robbery Arrest Police Still Searching for 3 Suspects

Posted: May 20, 2012 4:45 PM

This stands out for me too.

It amazes me that folks are ignoring the fact that there was a robbing crew of 4 men assaulting men & women on 05/20/2012 in the same vicinity as Mickey's route on 05/19/2012. MS had a purse & in one of the pics of her was wearing a gold chain & large gold heart pendant.

http://www.katc.com/news/simple-robbery-arrest-police-still-searching-for-3-suspects/

Foxfire, that's interesting. It looks like the incident occurred after the last time Mickey was captured on video, though.

I know this has been mentioned, but there are several things with this case that bother me:
-As someone else mentioned, where are the fishermen who found her bike? Fishermen are rarely tight-lipped about their catches, so why now? Why even to other fishermen? What if that's just the story we are getting when what really happened was an anonymous tip? The police just told everyone it was a fisherman when it could have been anyone including the abductor himself/herself?
-Why has nothing additional been mentioned about her cell phone calls, texts, within the last hours before her disappearance? Seems like if she knew the person who took her, then contact would have been made possibly in the last hours before she disappeared. The last text BW said she got not long before leaving his house concerns me greatly.
Then again, maybe those calls/texts are the reason the LE dismissed the Indiana police in a possible connection to Lauren.
-Why does the investigation seem at a standstill since that kid from BB got interviewed? Seems to me, a lot has fallen apart since that interview. Equusearch left the case and the Shunicks hired a PI.
-I realize the LE cannot continue to give us updates on the case, but you would think it would be in their interest to keep us engaged. They should want to have people calling things in and not forgetting about Mickey. Seems to me they are just letting the story die slowly. If they already have everything they need, this would make sense. However, last time I checked, Mickey is still missing.
-Have the LE attempted to interview people who were at the bar where she went that night? If this was a stalker, then there is a good chance he/she may have been there. Maybe if people who were there thought back to the night, they might remember someone creepy, whether watching Mickey or not.
-Who gave the LE the tip that led to them conducting the search the other night that didn't start until after dark? The sonar results would have been available to them before that time, so in my mind, it was a tip that led them out there. While the water clarity means that night or day doesn't really make a difference, but money wise, it is more expensive to conduct that type of search at night. Who was this individual whose word caused the LE to have such a huge operation in the middle of the night?

I keep hearing that equusearch has left the case but yet when I look at their website MS is still shown as the first one on their first page with no indication of them no longer being on the case. I've also tried to look for that info elsewhere and nothing ... can someone please give me a link to where that info is at?

It amazes me that folks are ignoring the fact that there was a robbing crew of 4 men violently assaulting men & women on 05/20/2012 in the same vicinity as Mickey's route on 05/19/2012. MS had a purse & in one of the pics of her was wearing a gold chain & large gold heart pendant. Not sure if she was wearing the gold chain that night, but prolly had her purse. What I am sure of is that the 4 men were sadistic & more than likely psychopaths.

'As officers began to look for the suspects they observed 4 black males punching and kicking a 36 year old female victim on the ground'.

I think it's because the suspects in the robbery were on foot, whereas we know that a vehicle was involved in Mickey's disappearance at some point, due to the face that her bike was found 27 miles away. IMO

It amazes me that folks are ignoring the fact that there was a robbing crew of 4 men violently assaulting men & women on 05/20/2012 in the same vicinity as Mickey's route on 05/19/2012. MS had a purse & in one of the pics of her was wearing a gold chain & large gold heart pendant. Not sure if she was wearing the gold chain that night, but prolly had her purse. What I am sure of is that the 4 men were sadistic & more than likely psychopaths.

'As officers began to look for the suspects they observed 4 black males punching and kicking a 36 year old female victim on the ground'.

The attack by this crew was at 2:15 am. Mickey was last seen on camera at about 2:00 am. So this group found Mickey, killed and robbed her, stashed the body and bike in a vehicle or elsewhere, then arived at 500 Jefferson St. downtown and robbed somebody. All in 15 minutes. It stretches belief, I think.

I'm going to take these one by one and play a little Devil's Advocate :)

1) It does not matter to me if fisherman found the bike or if LE was using that as good catch-all so that they didn't have to show their hand.

2) Why would LE release information about this text without needing input from the public? This isn't just about finding Mickey. It's first and foremost about finding her, but IMO and IME they also have to protect the integrity of the investigation for if and when it goes to trial. It's not Lafayette Police Department's fault that this is the way it is. Law Enforcement is typically tight lipped in all cases unless they need the public's assistance.

3) IMO The case seems to be at a standstill because of what I said in #2. LPD is doing their job. We cannot assume that just because we aren't hearing anything that things are "falling apart". I know we all want Mickey home and it's an awful situation. But things like this sometimes take a very long time to come together.

Texas EquuSearch did not "leave the case". They moved on to another case in Mississippi and they will be back if and when there is reason to be. They've laid an excellent foundation of how to search areas and were extremely valuable. Tim Miller cannot stay in one place too long because there are always new cases that are just as deserving of TES resources.

4) How do you know they don't have everything they need? Would you expect them to tell us that if this were the case? I'm not saying that your point isn't ultimately true, but at this point IMO it's unsubstantiated.

5) I am certain that LE is on top of this case. Lest you worry about LPD, the FBI is involved as well. IMO, There is no evidence thus far that they are not doing a standup job. Lack of information on day 14 is not evidence of that fact.

6) How do we know it was a tip? Are we privy to the exact times that TES was using sonar in the water? Obviously there was reason enough for them to use those resources at night. Based on what was going on there, I honestly think they were expecting to find a body. :(

I agree. They're not about to tip their hand. That's how they work.

I keep hearing that equusearch has left the case but yet when I look at their website MS is still shown as the first one on their first page with no indication of them no longer being on the case. I've also tried to look for that info elsewhere and nothing ... can someone please give me a link to where that info is at?
It's here: http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

For eight days Texas EquuSearch helped the Shunick Family try to find answers as to where Mickey could be.

But Tim Miller and his team are now leaving, since there have been no new leads since Mickey's bike was discovered.
more at link

The guy that was arrested per your article lives in New Iberia, about 20 miles south of Lafayette. Knowing the area, it's not unheard of for that crew to have driven to downtown Lafayette for that express purpose.

ETA: "... not unheard of for a crew like that"

The attack by this crew was at 2:15 am. Mickey was last seen on camera at about 2:00 am. So this group found Mickey, killed and robbed her, stashed the body and bike in a vehicle or elsewhere, then arived at 500 Jefferson St. downtown and robbed somebody. All in 15 minutes. It stretches belief, I think.
2 people were attacked. A man and a woman. Happened around the same time.
It's been on my mind.

TES didn't "leave the case". Wording like that is confusing (as shown by your question). They searched everywhere feasible for now and trained the local volunteers how to search- even leaving a suggested grid plan with the family. Tim Miller was on KATC last night saying he'll come back if needed, he's only 4 hours away but he was needed on another case in MS. TES is highly sought after by families and PD's across the country because of their high success rate and resources available to locate missing persons.

ok. I've been hesitant to do this, but this picture, RM previous actions, AND the confirmation that RM was spoken to by LE, I'm inclined to share this. I think someone mentioned it a while back. Maybe you all have seen it. First off, I've always thought that the truck you see on St. Landry, each direction, is the same truck, and the one with a bedcover on University is a separate truck. This picture is of one of the passengers in RM's truck from the wreck/ hit and run he was previously in. (V.S.) He has this as "public", so that's the only reason I am sharing this. My heart sunk when I came across it. It looks like this guy's truck may be in the driveway behind him, but the truck directly behind him is the one I'm talking about. I'm sure all of these guys work together and know each other.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...626176042.8451.100001813160573&type=3&theater

I agree. They're not about to tip their hand. That's how they work.

Correct. As someone said earlier, they have to do everything properly and protect every aspect of the investigation for if/when it goes to trial. It's a lot of work to build a case that will stick. So it's quite possible that LE does have a POI or potential suspect or more footage and/or leads, but none of that really matters right now until they find Mickey or her belongings. They need the evidence to build a case. So that's what it appears they are doing right now. They are putting all their effort into gathering that evidence, and that's something they don't need the publics help or opinion on.

I'm going to take these one by one and play a little Devil's Advocate :)

1) It does not matter to me if fisherman found the bike or if LE was using that as good catch-all so that they didn't have to show their hand.

2) Why would LE release information about this text without needing input from the public? This isn't just about finding Mickey. It's first and foremost about finding her, but IMO and IME they also have to protect the integrity of the investigation for if and when it goes to trial. It's not Lafayette Police Department's fault that this is the way it is. Law Enforcement is typically tight lipped in all cases unless they need the public's assistance.

3) IMO The case seems to be at a standstill because of what I said in #2. LPD is doing their job. We cannot assume that just because we aren't hearing anything that things are "falling apart". I know we all want Mickey home and it's an awful situation. But things like this sometimes take a very long time to come together.

Texas EquuSearch did not "leave the case". They moved on to another case in Mississippi and they will be back if and when there is reason to be. They've laid an excellent foundation of how to search areas and were extremely valuable. Tim Miller cannot stay in one place too long because there are always new cases that are just as deserving of TES resources.

4) How do you know they don't have everything they need? Would you expect them to tell us that if this were the case? I'm not saying that your point isn't ultimately true, but at this point IMO it's unsubstantiated.

5) I am certain that LE is on top of this case. Lest you worry about LPD, the FBI is involved as well. IMO, There is no evidence thus far that they are not doing a standup job. Lack of information on day 14 is not evidence of that fact.

6) How do we know it was a tip? Are we privy to the exact times that TES was using sonar in the water? Obviously there was reason enough for them to use those resources at night. Based on what was going on there, I honestly think they were expecting to find a body. :(

LE isn't thinking of the "sleuthers" and doesn't care whether we get information or not. What matters is that they are doing their job and I have high hopes that they have more info than we think. And I think they do.

Why would they give the public more information when the end result is finding the victim AND prosecuting whomever is responsible?

Sure, I'd love to have more info and would love to be a fly on the wall at the police station. But it's not going to happen.

They may have many tips that have come in about that truck and may have already zeroed in on who owns it, I bet they have interviews from friends about anything that may have been peculiar that night or not, they are in the process of gaining forensics and I bet they have more on camera that we have not seen and on it goes.

Sadly, there are many cold cases out there where the victim hasn't been found and the perps are roaming free as a bird. Then a case comes in every once in awhile that shocks us when an arrest is made and the public had no idea all along that LE had done way more than us "sleuthers" had thought. IE Sierra LaMar's case.

It's really not that hard to understand, at least for me. There are several bars downtown, and limited street parking, so people may have to park a little ways from where the bar is. Some of the parking areas are dark and secluded. So we have lots of (intoxicated) pedestrian traffic during the operating hours of the bars, and immediately after closing time.

There have been thugs who hang around downtown and they have been known to mug pedestrians and take wallets, purses, things like that. Never have these thugs kidnapped a person!

This behavior rarely happens outside of downtown.

Mickey was not a pedestrian, and she was headed away from downtown.

I think that is why most locals would think the incidents are completely unrelated.

My naïveté is showing: Is it common for simple robbers to become killers/kidnappers, etc?

Yes, GulfCoastKAT, it is common for sexual predators to have a very long list of misdemeanors before they act out on their prior fantasies and become violent felons. Many begin as peeping toms, sexual abusers, etc. Other human beings are only objects to them. They hone their skills with each innocent victim and become more brazen and narcissistic. I've seen preachers turn into the devil's deciple due to meth & other drugs.

If you check out the suspect arrested, Clifford Ledet of New Iberia. Imo, you will find a progressive and very violent, criminal history. New Iberia is 20 miles south of Lafayette, LA, three of the suspects remain at large.

ok. I've been hesitant to do this, but this picture, RM previous actions, AND the confirmation that RM was spoken to by LE, I'm inclined to share this. I think someone mentioned it a while back. Maybe you all have seen it. First off, I've always thought that the truck you see on St. Landry, each direction, is the same truck, and the one with a bedcover on University is a separate truck. This picture is of one of the passengers in RM's truck from the wreck/ hit and run he was previously in. (V.S.) He has this as "public", so that's the only reason I am sharing this. My heart sunk when I came across it. It looks like this guy's truck may be in the driveway behind him, but the truck directly behind him is the one I'm talking about. I'm sure all of these guys work together and know each other.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...626176042.8451.100001813160573&type=3&theater

Interesting, but not sure how to process. Are you saying because VS was the passenger in a vehicle in a DUI related death, that he is a more likely to become a DUI driver. Guilty by association or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500