LA LA - Raylene Helsley, 12, Ruston, 5 Jan 1983

Another thing- The Doe Network states: "Circumstances of Disappearance
Helsley and her sister were living with their father. When her sister returned from school, Raylene was nowhere to be found.
Helsley's father claims that he only left Helsley alone in their residence for approximately one hour during the day; when he came home, she had vanished.

Raymond Helsley, the father, was sentenced to the maximum sentence-- 10 years at hard labor for beating Raylene so hard he broke a wrench and a piece of plastic pipe. He was arrested after her sister told authorities she had seen the beating. Helsley said the body is approximately 1 1/2 miles from the trailer."

So why is he not in prison for murder? I can't tell if he admitted to killing her or not.

Very sad story. I also live in Louisiana.

It's so sad when a child is killed and dumped somewhere and they are never found.
Just from what I'm reading, sounds like the father DID kill her and LE knows he did but can not prove it.

Horrible.

I went to school with Raylene as a child...I have always wondered about her case. Im not sure where Candy is now (the sister)...her original statement was the father hit Raylene with a pipewrench in the head. There was blood in her hair when she went to wake her for school and Raymond told her to leave her alone. I want this case solved. I will never forget her or the torment he put her through. The teachers use to chip together and buy clothes for her. It was pitiful.

Hello,

I am Candy, Raylene's sister.

I just found this forum and was shocked and pleased to see that there are people who know and care about my sisters case, thank you all.

I am 37 now and doing well. After what happened, I lived in foster homes and eventually with my grandparents (his parents). They brought me to visit my father in prison multiple times when I was young. I also saw my father when I was 18 when he got out of prison. I don't really know why I met with him that day, when I think about it now, because I hate what he did and the fact that I will probably never know my sister. I have not spoken to him since that day, so I thank you all for the information that you have posted because I did not know most of it.

I had someone contact me about 2 years ago for my dna for comparison against unidentified remains or future discoveries.

Of course I hope she is alive and well somewhere, but I know how unlikely that is, so I pray they find something that will make a case against him to send him away forever.

Wow Candy!
I think you may have been the bravest 8 year old I have ever heard of. To know what your father is capable of, and STILL stand up to him, and do the right thing, calling you a hero just minimizes what you truly are!

I am sure your sister would be proud of you, and I hope she is found and you can bring her home.

Hi Candy. Thanks for posting. It's good to know that you are doing well despite having experienced the loss of your sister at your father's hands. I am truly sorry for the things that happened to you and Raylene. I hope knowing that she is remembered brings you peace.

Thanks Spurser,

Finding this site has meant a lot to me and it does bring me some peace. I totally appreciate people who take the time to stop and think about others, it's a kind act that takes so little effort but means so much.

Does anyone know where raymond helsley jr is now? Sure hope that raylene will be found one day. It must have been a traumatic experience for candy her sister and i hope that raylene is at peace with the lord now. I also hope that candy is well and safe.

Does anyone know where the father is now? I hope Candy is doing well now and I hope they someday find Raylene.

You stayed at our house after this happened in marion. I wander if you remember me? I have often wandered what happened to you. I am glad to see you have done ok. Hope to hear from you!
Hello,

I am Candy, Raylene's sister.

I just found this forum and was shocked and pleased to see that there are people who know and care about my sisters case, thank you all.

I am 37 now and doing well. After what happened, I lived in foster homes and eventually with my grandparents (his parents). They brought me to visit my father in prison multiple times when I was young. I also saw my father when I was 18 when he got out of prison. I don't really know why I met with him that day, when I think about it now, because I hate what he did and the fact that I will probably never know my sister. I have not spoken to him since that day, so I thank you all for the information that you have posted because I did not know most of it.

I had someone contact me about 2 years ago for my dna for comparison against unidentified remains or future discoveries.

Of course I hope she is alive and well somewhere, but I know how unlikely that is, so I pray they find something that will make a case against him to send him away forever.

A story was just brought to my attention that was reported by KNOE, the CBS affiliate in Monroe, LA. It seems the FBI is currently investigating a wooded area on Highway 3061, and some digging was done. This is not a definite that this investigation is in regards to Raylene's case, but according to this article, the sheriff's office did say that it is in regards to a case 20-30 years old, and it is noteworthy that Ruston, the town Raylene went missing from, is mentioned in the headline. One local family is that much closer to getting the closure they have waited so long for.

Missing persons families on edge after FBI search in Lincoln Parish

Hello all! I am a substance abuse counselor at inpatient drug rehab in Marion, La. Recently I had a client who mentioned Raylene out of the blue! It floored me to listen to her story and she stated that she feels like she knows where she was buried. Police are not listening to her due to her drug use; however, she has randomly stated these comments about Raylene. She left rather than receiving treatment so I don’t know where her information will go as far as the police but I pray they find Raylene. My father told me my whole life that he would beat me to death, bury me on his land and tell the police I ran away. I have felt the fear and pain of many beatings so I pray that Raylene was never beaten again since that day. Until you live it you can never understand it.

Hello all! I am a substance abuse counselor at inpatient drug rehab in Marion, La. Recently I had a client who mentioned Raylene out of the blue! It floored me to listen to her story and she stated that she feels like she knows where she was buried. Police are not listening to her due to her drug use; however, she has randomly stated these comments about Raylene. She left rather than receiving treatment so I don’t know where her information will go as far as the police but I pray they find Raylene. My father told me my whole life that he would beat me to death, bury me on his land and tell the police I ran away. I have felt the fear and pain of many beatings so I pray that Raylene was never beaten again since that day. Until you live it you can never understand it.

Here is Raylene's NamUs profile The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Maybe the client or you yourself could reach out to the contacts on Raylene's NamUs page or send an email to Michael Nance. Michael works for NamUs he might be able to send in the tip and he doesn't have to state who it's from.

You stayed at our house after this happened in marion. I wander if you remember me? I have often wandered what happened to you. I am glad to see you have done ok. Hope to hear from you!
My name Angel White. Were you and Raylene ever in an orphanage in Natchez, MS. If so, which I'm positive that y'all were there because I was there. Your sister and I were best friends. To this day, I still remember when the police showed up and they started asking me if Raylene had came back or if I had heard from her. I still remember crying for her. Now, that I'm older. I was hoping to find some good news but I guess not. Candy please contact me if you want.

Candy, can you tell us about your mother and the circumstances which you and Raymond were living with your father?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back