LA LA - Stephanie Hebert, 6, Waggaman, 13 June 1978

Such thoughtful words for the victim, ktgirl. Good question too. The fact that he hasn’t been imprisoned for over 30 years since he raped Jane Doe and very likely murdered Stephanie, chances are high he has more victims.

He seems to have preferred children, but I wonder about him in connection to Vicki Lynn Carriere's disappearance. I've always kind of thought perhaps her baby's daddy might be a POI just because murder by the father of one's child is one of the leading causes of death among pregnant women in the US. But maybe Parks should be looked at just in case.

Vicki's thread is in Missing Not Forgotten because technically she's listed as missing. I bumped the thread and added a couple of links.

LA LA - Vicki Carriere, 18, Waggaman, 12 July 1987 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I can't believe I missed the news about Parks. It would be wonderful if Stephanie's murder could be solved.

So the victim was Stephanie's best friend? And she kept it to herself all of these years? How awful for her.

Good find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How horrible and scary for a little girl to have to deal with!

Oh, and by the way... that's why I don't let my babysitters bring my child around other people. I am cautious about screening people I allow him around, including the babysitter, but I do not and have not screened their friends! Too often, things happen from friends of a caregiver. Nope!!!!!!

Note in the comments section of the aforementioned article that Paul Purpura, author of same, gives an update to his writing.

Snip:

The victim's testimony of her exchange with Parks in his kitchen, while he cooked the gumbo: "I said, 'You're going to hell for what you did to me.' He said, "I might be going to hell, but not for that.'"

Said author of article thinks that LE has/had a stronger suspect than Parks in Stephanie’s murder:

Authorities had/have a suspect who had stronger ties to Stephanie Hebert.

Does anyone know who he might be alluding to?

The reporter may be alluding to a 16 year old brother of one of Stephanie’s friends at the time of her disappearance. After reading various detailed blogs, in 2009 DNA evidence did not match the friend’s brother’s DNA and therefore he was not charged. (I cannot find an msm link which supports this. It’s very likely an msm article exists somewhere; my sleuthing skills aren’t the best.)

The fact that Daniel Parks Sr.’s wife babysat for Stephanie is a huge red flag. He was babysitting for Stephanie’s best friend when he raped her and the reason he’s now behind bars. People trusted him and he used and relied on that trust to his perverted advantage. The worst that there is.

Awaiting to see the case the JPSO builds against Parks for Stephanie’s murder.

Waggaman Child Rapist Sentenced To Life In Prison

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf...ce.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Daniel Parks Sr., 62, of Waggaman, was sentenced to mandatory life in prison Thursday (Jan. 9) for his conviction of aggravated rape, for raping an 8-year-old girl in his home in 1978 or 1979. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office considers him a suspect in the unsolved kidnapping and murder of Stephanie Hebert, who lived in the same Waggaman neighborhood and vanished in 1978. Her skeletal remains were found six months later, tied to a tree in a wooded area of St. Charles Parish. The rape victim and Stephanie were friends. (JPSO)

More at link

From St. Charles Herald Guide (March 2014):

http://www.heraldguide.com/details.php?id=13985

• At the time of Stephanie Hebert's murder, R. Alexander, a teenager, was the prime suspect.
  • R. Alexander passed polygraph test and was brought in front of a grand jury in 1980. Grand jury did not indict. Case went cold.
  • In 2006 Maj. Zinna with the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office was able to retrieve DNA evidence (to a limited degree) from the rope which was found at crime scene.
  • A DNA swab was obtained from R. Alexander. There was no match to Alexander.
  • Col. John Fortunato, Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Daniel Parks is only one of several suspects JPSO is still looking at.
  • Fortunato would not respond to requests for comment on whether Parks’ DNA has been tested against the DNA found on the rope used to tie Hebert to the tree.

Something tells me it won't be long until we can mark this thread "solved", and not a minute too soon. :crossfingers:

Thanks for the update, wishuwerehere.

This is going to sound strange but here goes...In the late 1970's when I was about Stephanie's age I was playing outside after dark at my aunt's auction house. Everyone else was inside for the auction. I had just gotten new rain boots so I was splashing from one mud puddle to the next. When I got far away from the lights of the building, an older man who was just sitting alone in his car with the window down, started asking me if my parents knew where I was an what I was doing. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and was very close to his car before I realized anyone was out there. I remember being really spooked and I told him no but I started walking back to get away from him. I heard him open his door and when I turned around he was coming toward me with what I remember looking like a thick white throw blanket held up in both hands. I knew somehow that he was trying to hurt me so I ran as fast as I could back to my parents. But I never told them what had happened. I was afraid that I'd get into trouble for wandering so far from the building. This is the first time that I've told my story to anyone other than my husband. But the older I get the more it bothers me that this person may have done the same thing, or worse, to other girls when I may have been able to stop him by telling someone that night. So I researched kidnappings of girls about that age and around the same time. This happened on hwy 21 between bogalusa and Covington La. So he could have been from, or going to, anywhere. The trauma and years have made it hard to remember details. All I remember about the vehicle is that it was a car. If anyone has any feedback about my case and Stephanie's being similar or not I would appreciate it. This has been eating at me for years.

This is going to sound strange but here goes...In the late 1970's when I was about Stephanie's age I was playing outside after dark at my aunt's auction house. Everyone else was inside for the auction. I had just gotten new rain boots so I was splashing from one mud puddle to the next. When I got far away from the lights of the building, an older man who was just sitting alone in his car with the window down, started asking me if my parents knew where I was an what I was doing. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going and was very close to his car before I realized anyone was out there. I remember being really spooked and I told him no but I started walking back to get away from him. I heard him open his door and when I turned around he was coming toward me with what I remember looking like a thick white throw blanket held up in both hands. I knew somehow that he was trying to hurt me so I ran as fast as I could back to my parents. But I never told them what had happened. I was afraid that I'd get into trouble for wandering so far from the building. This is the first time that I've told my story to anyone other than my husband. But the older I get the more it bothers me that this person may have done the same thing, or worse, to other girls when I may have been able to stop him by telling someone that night. So I researched kidnappings of girls about that age and around the same time. This happened on hwy 21 between bogalusa and Covington La. So he could have been from, or going to, anywhere. The trauma and years have made it hard to remember details. All I remember about the vehicle is that it was a car. If anyone has any feedback about my case and Stephanie's being similar or not I would appreciate it. This has been eating at me for years.

You are an empathetic human being to feel that level of guilt. You were traumatized into hiding the memories. You had no reason to say anything since you knew (or convinced yourself to think) that you would get in trouble. The man likely got back into his car and was gone. No one else saw this happen, or they also didn't report anything. It is hardly likely that telling your story, and alerting authorities, would have led to the exposure of this horrible human being. Focus your energy on your wellness. Therapy helps if you have not considered that.

We all need to stay vigilant for our children. And grandchildren. If someone doesn't feel right, don't ignore your feelings. Hopefully we, as a race of all humans, can one day eradicate the evil that is walking the land.

forgive me for jumping in on this thread, but I have a valid reason. there is also a case in texas, where a victim was tied to a tree. and gallons and 20.00 bill , golf balls and club were found. I am new to sleuthing, but I would look at a possible link. Cheryl Henry case.

"A Massachusetts man extradited to Louisiana and indicted in the rape of three children 40 years ago has been named a suspect in the unsolved kidnapping and murder of Stephanie Hebert, a 5-year-old girl whose skeletal remains were discovered about six months after she disappeared from her Waggaman neighborhood on June 13, 1978.

Jason Franklin, 74, a registered sex offender with convictions for child *advertiser censored* possession and attempted rape, had not been indicted in Hebert’s death as of Friday (June 28).

But a Jefferson Parish grand jury charged him March 28 in Hebert’s aggravated rape, which authorities say occurred some time between 1975 and 1977, according court records. Franklin is also charged with the aggravated rapes of two other children, a boy and a girl, during the same time period...

Unbeknownst to the Heberts, Jason Franklin was living on Aster Lane in the late 1970s, just eight houses away. The former U.S. Army veteran and truck driver had been convicted of attempted rape in 1966, according to authorities.

As JPSO’s cold case homicide squad last year began to dig into Franklin’s possible ties to Stephanie Hebert’s death, they discovered evidence that he had raped at least four children while living in Waggaman and Bridge City between 1973 and 1977, Detective Donald Thornton testified during a court hearing.

Investigators identified a male rape victim, now 47, who accused Franklin of repeatedly sexually assaulting him while he was between the ages of 2 and 6, Thornton said. The male victim also identified other children sexually abused by Franklin around that time, including the now-48-year-old female victim from Franklin’s rape indictment. She, too, told authorities Franklin raped her."

New suspect named in 1978 abduction, murder of 5-year-old Stephanie Hebert

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back