• Missing Since 04/28/1997
  • Missing From Mansfield, Louisiana
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/27/1920 (100)
  • Age 76 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 160 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Brumley has pierced ears. She wears eyeglasses with large plastic frames. She appeared much younger than her actual age at the time of her disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Brumley was last seen at her residence a few miles south of Mansfield, Louisiana at approximately 8:30 p.m. on April 28, 1997. Authorities searched her home after she failed to report to work at DeSoto Sheriff's Office the following day; she worked part-time there as a secretary.

Investigators discovered that Brumley's front door had been kicked in, the screen door was cut, and the inside of the house was in disarray. Potted plants were spilled and furniture had been displaced. There was no sign of Brumley. Her purse and some clothing were missing from the home.

Investigators believe Brumley was taken against her will. Her husband had died in 1975 and Brumley had lived alone since then, but dated multiple men. She was active in her church, enjoyed making arts and crafts and spending time with her family, and had worked at a department store and a beauty shop before her retirement.

Brumley's case remains unsolved. She was declared legally dead in 2004.

Where is Syble?
  • Devon Patton
  • Sep 16, 2016

• We asked if there was anybody who still cared about Syble Brumley. She went missing almost 20 years ago. We thought a few might show up to the DeSoto Parish training facility. Three generations of family filled the room with tears because they all have the same question on their hearts and minds. Where is Syble?
  • We spoke to one of the great grand-kids who is in her twentys who remember the day her great grandmother went missing when she was just seven years old. "Yes, I remember every bit of it," said Jessie Brumley.
  • We saw Jessie literally flipping through pages of time, looking at photos from before Syble Brumley went missing to the newspaper clippings after the news spread that she was gone.
We saw one article that said that there was a $50,000 reward for information leading to her being found. That article was put out shortly after she went missing in 1997. We found out it's still being offered by the family today.

"Day to day you just wonder and you just need closure. Whether she is alive or dead it does not matter. . . we just need to bring her home," said Tracy Cowden.

"It's one of those deals where we've had to see a lot of our loved ones pass on and we can see the sorrow in their eyes because they didn't know where she was or what happened to her," said Dwayne Brumley.

What did happen to Sybil Brumley? DeSoto Parish Sheriff Captain Tony Morris knows part of what happened because he has been following up on Syble's case all these years and made a painful admission during the meeting with the family. "I basically have failed them up until this point as far as my career goes this is my greatest disappointment," said Morris.

Morris, who retired Thursday, remembers the day 76-year-old Syble Brumley went missing on April 28, 1997. It was a day Brumley was supposed to come to work at the DeSoto Parish Sheriff's department. She was a volunteer clerk there. When she was a no-show family went her house to find one of the doors kicked in but no sign of Syble, almost like she vanished except there was a sign of a struggle that gave Morris a good reason to believe someone made her disappear and that is who Capt. Morris the entire shreriff's dept, police and the family have been looking for all these years.

The Brumley family vows to never let the memory of Syble Brumley die. The grand-kids have told the great-grand kids about Syble and the great-grand kids are telling their kids about their great great grandmother...great, not because she is missing but because she had a love for her family that has stood the test of time.
Where is Syble?

626c958412122.image.jpg

April 29 2022
Grandchildren still search for answers cold case disappearance | News | ktbs.com
''MANSFIELD, La- Twenty-five years ago, Syble Brumley, a 76-year-old Mansfield woman was reported missing. Investigators believe Brumley was kidnapped from inside her home on Highway 171. The family still believes, even though more than two decades have passed, someone out there must know something.

Tracy Cowdin still remembers the day her grandmother disappeared. She remembers the lines of police cars outside her home. The front door appeared to have been kicked in. The scene inside the bedroom stands out the most.

"That's the main thing I remember. Whoever did it. It looked like they just reached up into the top of that closet and just threw all the shoes, there were shoes everywhere," Cowdin said.

After twenty-five years, no arrests have been made. The grandkids that remain have their own theories. Cowdin says she's convinced, based on evidence at the house, Brumley was taken by someone she knew.''

''The family says they are still looking for any information you might have, however small it may seem. They believe that in a community as close-knit as theirs, somebody must know something.

Anyone with information should notify DeSoto Parish Sheriff's Office.''

I see no reason that this crime should be unsolvable. The case needs fresh eyes. No offense intended to DeSoto Sheriffs Dept. Captain Morris. The perpetrator could be someone who locals would never suspect. The perp is probably someone they looked at and eliminated early on.
MOO

I hope someone from Syble Brumley’s family will find this thread and let us put our minds and expertise together to find the criminal who did this to her!

Is there a list of Doe's ruled out?
Has NamUs # UP14998 been ruled out?

UP14998 has not been ruled out. Below is the only exclusion so far:

Thumbnail

Unidentified Person / NamUs # UP50273Female, White / Caucasian,Uncertain
Date Body FoundMay 16, 2018
StateLA
CountyNatchitoches
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-40
I emailed the contact info for the Jane Doe in NaMus. Hoping they look into it. The Jane Doe was found 10 months from missing date and was wearing a slip with lace border and an apron. I think it's a good lead. Edit: The distance from each other is 6 hrs. Found 10 months after she went missing. I went ahead and sent a message via FB to the police dept handling her case.

Last edited:
I have the impression that she left first against her will and then agreed to go with some man since she dated some she was a widow...
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikishaF
Back