Lance Armstrong Doping Scandal

Lance Armstrong Apologizes To Livestrong Staff Ahead Of Oprah Interview

Lance Armstrong stopped at his Livestrong Foundation before heading to an interview with Oprah Winfrey on Monday and delivered an emotional apology to staff members, some of whom broke down in tears, a person with direct knowledge of the meeting told The Associated Press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...pologizes-livestrong_n_2473534.html?ir=Sports

AP source: Gov't likely to join Armstrong case

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19257371&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

WASHINGTON (AP) — An attorney familiar with cyclist Lance Armstrong's legal problems said Tuesday that the Justice Department is highly likely to join a whistleblower lawsuit filed against Armstrong by former teammate Floyd Landis..............

According to the attorney, who works outside the government, the lawsuit alleges that Armstrong defrauded the U.S. government based on his years of denying use of performance-enhancing drugs. The U.S. Postal Service was a longtime sponsor of Armstrong's racing career.

More at link.....

Oprah: Lance Armstrong admitted doping

By JIM VERTUNO and JIM LITKE, AP
41 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas — Lance Armstrong has finally come clean.

Armstrong confessed to doping during an interview with Oprah Winfrey taped Monday, just a couple of hours after a wrenching apology to staff at the Livestrong charity he founded and has now been forced to surrender.

The day ended with 2 1/2 hours of questions from Winfrey at a downtown Austin hotel, where she said the world's most famous cyclist was "forthcoming" as she asked him in detail about doping allegations that followed him throughout his seven Tour de France victories.

Speaking on "CBS This Morning," Winfrey said Tuesday she had not planned to address Armstrong's confession before the interview aired on her OWN network but, "by the time I left Austin and landed in Chicago, you all had already confirmed it."

"So I'm sitting here now because it's already been confirmed," she added.

The session was to be broadcast on Thursday but Winfrey said it will now run in two parts over two nights because there is so much material...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20130115/CYC.Armstrong.Oprah/

Wow, I'm just now catching up on all the Armstrong news so far this week. I still have my doubts about that interview with Oprah. Hope it isn't ultimately an infomercial for Lance.

Anyhow, I came across an amusing video montage of him lying through the years:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zad68VOxr8g"]Lance Armstrong On Doping - Supercut - YouTube[/ame]

I highly doubt he doped. He never failed one test. He's only admitting to get them of his back. Alot of people have confessed to something they didn't do. Even confessed to murder they didn't commit.

I honestly don't mean this to be patronizing, but Armstrong used performance enhancing drugs -- he was just ahead of the testing curve -- but that doesn't diminish my sympathy for anyone who sees a hero fall from grace.

Lance is going to be proved a lying liar who tells lies - and not only to benefit himself, but to the detriment of others. But my opinion of him was fixed many years ago, when he dumped the woman who stayed with him through cancer treatments and underwent substantially risky procedures post-cancer to bear children for him.
On that day - he proved his lack of character. Sad that his cancer charity and the good work he has done in that regard is going to be forever stained by this.

I highly doubt he doped. He never failed one test. He's only admitting to get them of his back. Alot of people have confessed to something they didn't do. Even confessed to murder they didn't commit.

You are probably being sarcastic, but just in case you aren't, his admitting to being a cheat will likely get him into more trouble. Especially legal trouble as it opens him up to charges of perjury.

Everyone may lie, but....
---
Everyone doesn’t earn thirty million dollars a year, nearly all of it from endorsements based not just on athletic prowess but on the golden aura of a man so pure, so dedicated, that he would bear any burden and endure any pain to win the world’s most gruelling athletic contest again and again and again.

Everyone doesn’t react repeatedly with outrage and vitriol when accused of violating the rules even though he knows he’s guilty, and then denounce and sue journalists who imply that he might have applied makeup to conceal needle marks on his arm. (Everyone doesn’t accept settlements from such publications, either.)

Everyone doesn’t make a commercial for Nike in which he ridicules any suggestion that he was ever “on” anything other than his bicycle, “busting my *advertiser censored* six hours a day.”

Everyone doesn’t raise hundreds of millions of dollars for their vanity cancer foundation, a foundation that—no matter how much good it has done, though there is some debate about that*—was created and sustained by the image of a survivor who defeated his nearly fatal disease with a grace and dignity that he would never relinquish.
---
more here: What Lance Armstrong did (New Yorker)

* It's not about the lab rats (Outside)
If Lance Armstrong went to jail and Livestrong went away, that would be a huge setback in our war against cancer, right? Not exactly, because the famous nonprofit donates almost nothing to scientific research. BILL GIFFORD looks at where the money goes and finds a mix of fine ideas, millions of dollars aimed at “awareness,” and a few very blurry lines.

Everyone doesn’t raise hundreds of millions of dollars for their vanity cancer foundation, a foundation that—no matter how much good it has done, though there is some debate about that*—was created and sustained by the image of a survivor who defeated his nearly fatal disease with a grace and dignity that he would never relinquish.

Yeah so he's a cancer survivor but I've always kinda wondered if doping his body with steroids and whatnot had anything to do with him getting the cancer in the first place.

Yeah so he's a cancer survivor but I've always kinda wondered if doping his body with steroids and whatnot had anything to do with him getting the cancer in the first place.

Ditto! I'd say the odds were on just that...

Does this mean all big name sports are defunct. This is a joke.. What about football and baseball. Does steroids count.? Or no ?,. What! in America we just keep quiet? France is mad, but here as long as its American sponsors its okay. Juice junkies, the lot of em, I say.. test em all...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back