Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.25.17 - Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry folks I was supposed to be there and provide updates, but unfortunately I couldn't attend today.

No problem LemonCloud, of course no one is expected to attend court to report back here. LOL

Sounds like you picked a good day to miss anyway. Only half a day and not very interesting.

She doesn't likely have anything to offer. She may become more of a player in the trial for his father's murder since she was at the home when police were called regarding the death - an alleged suicide, at the time.

Holy Crapola.... he is/has been charged with 3 murders ?? I did not realize that when I started following this trial ..what a

Interesting discussion. My thoughts are, none of the killings benefitted Smich, they were all for whatever Millard wanted, or people in Millard's life. They used Millard's homes, farm, vehicles, airport hangar, incinerator, gun. They involved Millard's employees, friends, girlfriends, mother, father. I can't think of anyone or anything in Smich's life that was involved in the crimes.

That tells me who had the power in their relationship. Smich went along, so he's guilty, but he might've gone along because he felt weak, and wanted to feel powerful like DM.

I recall from the first trial that Smich was physically ill on the first mission to steal the truck. I always wonder if he was sickened by the thought of reliving what he had already lived through with LB?

Well, that's if you beleive Smich.

Honestly, I don't know why Smich's attorneys didn't cut a deal with him to flip on Millard for all three murders at the time? Doesn't seem implausible that he could have walked away with 25 years and maybe early parole?

I think if you take the Bosma evidence in context of what comes out at all three trials there will probably be less doubt that MS was all in of his own accord. I guess when he filmed that gore video it was out of fear too then - he wasn't into it at all?

I agree. But Millard seemed to be lacking in the close friend department as well. ... There just didn't seem to be any lifelong friends.

Family friend Matt Hagerman.

I followed the trial of Tim Bosma later in the trial but I did read some of the stuff by Adam Carter. I don't remember it mentioned how the police found out about Smich. I am amazed how much was kept out of the trial for Tim Bosma. MS made himself look like he was not a willing person. If we knew what we know now of him he would not have been beleived to not be a willing participant. His testimony had me believing that he was not a willing participant I knew he lied about hiding the gun I would not be good as a juror.

I wonder a lot about Laura.

What she could have been? What would she be doing today had her life not been cut short? Her friends miss her, and miss her bubbly personality, her zest for life and her smile.

I think Laura was a sweet vulnerable girl that, through mental illness and addiction, made poor decisions but kept on trying.
She was trying to get help. She was seeing Doctors. Laura was in pain and trying to find a way to ease it.

But she had a "friend" who gave her pills for her Birthday. A "friend" who by all appearances used her and lied to her. A "friend", who in the end, thought nothing of her, so he killed her and cremated her in an animal incinerator. And a guy wrote a rap song about it all that was totally disgusting, and void of any human emotion, other than joy at what had been done, or what HE had done.

I think a lot about Laura and the terrible fate that befell her. Just imagine, being wrapped up in a rug, lying there dead and possibly thrown in a barn for a couple weeks until the guy who killed you stopped by every now and then for a "smell check". And when the time was right he cremated you and that was that.

LE didn't think Laura was worthy of being looked for. They didn't care. Laura was just one of many missing, addicted, mentally ill people wandering the streets of Toronto.

I spend a lot of time these days thinking about Laura.

Great post Tealgrove. I do too.

I wonder if someone with a boat on the Lake went for a ride with DM et al on an undisclosed 'stealth mission?'

I wonder if someone with a boat on the Lake went for a ride with DM et al on an undisclosed 'stealth mission?'

Didn't he used to like to rent out yachts in various locations? I'm still a little confused as to whether this witness today was implying that MS told him the phone AND the cremains were tossed in the lake or just the phone.

MOO

Didn't he used to like to rent out yachts in various locations? I'm still a little confused as to whether this witness today was implying that MS told him the phone AND the cremains were tossed in the lake or just the phone.

MOO

Several news outlets are saying that the witness mentioned Smich claiming SHE was dumped in the lake along with her phone. The rap doesn't state it in the lyrics though.

I also read that Marlena Meneses heard the rap but was told to leave afterwards when he told the people present in the garage about what happened.

An Ontario man accused of murdering a young Toronto woman whose body has never been found confessed to burning “a girl” and tossing her in a lake, a witness told court on Wednesday.

Desi Liberatore said he was smoking weed and drinking peach schnapps with Mark Smich and a couple of friends in 2012, when Smich began rapping about “torching a body.”

Smich then asked his girlfriend to leave the garage at his mother’s home in Oakville, Ont., Liberatore said, and once she left, Smich told his friends that he did, in fact, burn a girl and dump her body and a cellphone in a lake.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...ar-testimony-about-her-financial-records.html

I guess Menenses could not put "two and two together" like the recovering opiate addict Desi was able to.

Too bad Smich didn't take the advice from a character from Breaking Bad" "Never trust an addict."

I've heard that a sociopath understands when he or she does something wrong. A psychopath doesn't. Millard genuinely doesn't get it. He thinks it's all fault of this stupid Arschloch Smich's, the jury, victims, judge and all those peasant simpletons who just don't understand.

Well, with every additional day of testimony, it is becoming clearer that both of these guys are equally to blame. From their texts, conversations, witnesses' recollections, and forensic evidence, there is no doubt they are guilty. I just hope jury is shown and told all they need to see and hear (and no legal arguments that remove certain evidence), in order to come up with the guilty finding they should conclude.

these two are the worst of the worst, the type one hopes their children never meet and associate with.

I always wondered how they found out about Smich , i did not think DM volunteered the information. So much was not allowed to be told. On one group a few people argued the rap songs he sang were just art expression. I did not think they were. I did believe that he was used by DM but now I don't think he was, just as willing to commit the murders as DM.

I would have to go back and search but my gut is telling me that one of the other "kids" , possibly AM, told police to look for Smich. Anyone else remember that?

If you look at some of the photos CN posted on Instagram, you will see she has been in Quebec and here in TO. Or perhaps she is playing a little game as i'm sure she knows people follow her....so one day Poland and then somewhere else to confuse us. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donwhoolery