Law Enforcement/the Brianna case

I think it is obvious that LE is doing a good job.
Where is it obvious that LE is doing a good job on this particular case? It has been since Jan. 20th and there has only been one POI (man who dropped off the other girl, but was ruled out) or Suspect. I don't see any signs of solving these cases.

I think we need to put some of the emphasis on the media misreporting some facts and less on the police "messing up." I'm guessing that the RGJ reporter did not check with more than one source in reporting the DNA mixup, because when the RPD later clarified it, they said that "someone" had miscommunicated that information.
Actually, the media didn't "misreport" it. The panties with his DNA, Bri's DNA, and the other apt. resident did exist. LE obviously had to give them this information. They didn't simply make it up as they went along or anything. The someone who miscommunicated the information was the LE officer who mentioned this in the first place as it was a "leak" about the second pair.

Yes, you pointed me to that, and I thank you for it. Trying to keep up with the jumble of information in the various media reports is difficult.

You are welcome.

I recall one article from AP that stated things differently about the underwear than the LE release.

Hi, this one is for SQ!

~I admire a few posters on here. One is SQ and the other is SS. These posters have valuable insight and add much to the discussion.~

With that said, after viewing other missing persons cases from "Other possible Victims" thread, I wonder why haven't these women been in the press more? Why didn't the RPD announce the woman that was raped last October. Why the secrecy?

It wasn't until the highly profiled case of Brianna Dennsion, did RPD come out and publicly say :hey, we have a serial rapist on our hands. It is hard for me to swallow, when you have RPD, countless volunteers, and the community looking for ONE guy, and there is absolutely no leads until Bri turned up in a field one day.

I think I can speak for alot of posters here, that we are mainly very frustrated. More communication and public awareness is key, for all persons visting or living to be aware of the possibility of a violent encounter. This must be avoided and maybe, just maybe Bri would have locked that darn door!!

My understanding is Bri's family is very tied to someone in Nevada government which is why all the press about her abduction vs others floated to the top...

My understanding is Bri's family is very tied to someone in Nevada government which is why all the press about her abduction vs others floated to the top...

Thanks GW. Good for them, however, anything new yet in solving this serial rapist/murderer in Reno yet?

I'm not saying this is my opinion, but thought it was an interesting note to add to this discussion:

I have knowledge from someone connected to the December rape case that the police did very little follow-up on that rape. The victim was made to feel like a criminal by the questioning officers. She was made to feel like she had committed a crime, not the creep who attacked her. RPD did very little to pursue th perpetrator of that attack. It wasn't until they realized the same guy was involved in the Denison case that they began a serious search for the guy. I think a little "Oh ----, we *advertiser censored**ed-up" entered the picture and they have been scrambling ever since to cover their asses and find the creep. The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for them.

I read somewhere that the reason Brianna's case got such notoriety and publicity is because her family is somehow related to a high person in nevada government and I cannot recall who it is....will try and find that info if important to you...

I'm not saying this is my opinion, but thought it was an interesting note to add to this discussion:

I have knowledge from someone connected to the December rape case that the police did very little follow-up on that rape. The victim was made to feel like a criminal by the questioning officers. She was made to feel like she had committed a crime, not the creep who attacked her. RPD did very little to pursue th perpetrator of that attack. It wasn't until they realized the same guy was involved in the Denison case that they began a serious search for the guy. I think a little "Oh ----, we *advertiser censored**ed-up" entered the picture and they have been scrambling ever since to cover their asses and find the creep. The longer this goes on, the worse it looks for them.

I think it is important to understand that RGJ did not publish this in an article. This is an excerpt from a reader's comment. \There is no way to verify the validty of the comment.

I think we need to put some of the emphasis on the media misreporting some facts and less on the police "messing up." I'm guessing that the RGJ reporter did not check with more than one source in reporting the DNA mixup, because when the RPD later clarified it, they said that "someone" had miscommunicated that information.

I've noted the mis-statements by the various press, both locally and nationally. Just one small mis-quote, changes a lot. When LE announced the second pair of underwear - the pink underwear belonging to one of the girls living at the MacKay Court home - that was reported differently by each of the local and national media.

I think LE did the right thing by establishing a webpage to present the facts that are known. One source, the police, is far better that the media coverage.

Also..............the October victim didn't report her attack to the police until after Brianna was abducted. I believe she came forward around January 30th. So, the October rape wasn't even known by anyone until long after Brianna's abduction.

The November and December victims were initially reported to the UNR police, who then turned it over to the RPD.

Also..............the October victim didn't report her attack to the police until after Brianna was abducted. I believe she came forward around January 30th. So, the October rape wasn't even known by anyone until long after Brianna's abduction.

The November and December victims were initially reported to the UNR police, who then turned it over to the RPD.

Thanks for that info on the October victim and the timing of her coming forward.

I read somewhere that the reason Brianna's case got such notoriety and publicity is because her family is somehow related to a high person in nevada government and I cannot recall who it is....will try and find that info if important to you...

The Govenor's wife's son and Brianna went to High School together.
This is the only connection; the case was getting a lot of attention before Governor's wife joined the search team - about a week before the body was found. There is no 'relation'.

I read this on craigslist a few weeks ago as well. This is where most of the rumors are coming from. A few nights ago the local evening news had all the rumors on the show. This was one of them.

I am trying to catch up on this case. Real life has been busy lately.

By and large I agree most members of LE are good and try to do the right thing. However, when my daughter's best friend came up missing (and later deceased), LE didn't do crap. They really didn't do anything until the "True Crime Blog" reported about her missing. Then, of course, they didn't want anyone to know what screw-ups they were. There was one Sheriff's Deputy, however, that was concerned and did whatever he could to help. In fact, he told me he didn't understand the city's lack of concern. LE here really didn't get serious until my daughter's friend was missing for four days!!! And then, that was only because the FBI was going to get involved! Of course, this is just my opinion, dealing with AR LE for a long time.

Back to reading...

And if the family was complaining I'd pay attention to that.

Perhaps we can come up with some sort of form that criminals are required to fill out before they commit a crime, to make it easier for the police to track them down...

lol, YES!...wouldn't that be great...

And if the family was complaining I'd pay attention to that.

Perhaps we can come up with some sort of form that criminals are required to fill out before they commit a crime, to make it easier for the police to track them down...

Just a little heads up. Some in the family have complained. This was in THREAD#5 POSTED 2-18-08

Originally Posted by panthera
John Zunino, Brianna's uncle, being interviewed by Nancy. He believes this could've been avoided if the DNA had been tested after the first attack.

I thought I remembered there was family in agreement when Nancy and the so called talking heads were critical of RPD.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back