Lawsuit alleges couple left behind in open water off Maui during 2021 snorkeling trip

ChatteringBirds

Reaction score

A Bay Area couple have filed a federal lawsuit against a dive boat operator in Hawaii after they were allegedly left behind in deep, choppy water and feared drowning before struggling to shore...

IMO I believe the couple. It seems like this kind of thing happens every so often unfortunately. Thank goodness they made it to safety!

What about the lawsuit? I do think they deserve some compensation...

Oh, I do believe they will prevail:

The lawsuit claims a Coast Guard investigation into the incident found that the “vessel master negligently performed duties with regard to operating the vessel because he did not uphold the company safety procedures.”

Wonder if Sail Maui's insurance carrier offered a settlement?

I came across articles about these incidents a couple days ago, I can't imagine how horrifying it had to have been for both couples. Sounds like there needs to be some additional requirements/regulations for these dive boat operators. No excuse for what happened. I would be filing a lawsuit too, a big one.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist .... my goodness.
Have everyone use a physical tag /bracelet whatever... and the boat does not leave until all tags are accounted for and a vocal check in in as well !

I've worked at summer camps with a waterfront tag board.

Seems that if 8 and 9 year olds can manage the system....

Exactly !!!
Hope they win, this will maybe be a head's up to the other tour companies ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015
Back